What's new
What's new

OT: -3 45 deg male to -4 45 deg AC gauge adapter.

dcash

Plastic
Working on a 1990 Corolla w. R-12 A/C system and need adapter to connect 1/4" gauge hose to what appears to be a -3 male high side fitting with schrader valve. (Low side is standard 1/4" 45deg male fitting w. schrader)
Anyone know of a part number?
I've already wasted an hour searching other forums and found nothing except "R-134A adapter crap and endless vitriol on the evils of using R-12 and the environment".
(If I wanted a sermon I'd go to church!)
Just need an adapter to connect a standard gauge hose set to the smaller high side fitting.
Thanks,
Dave

steve-l

Titanium
I'm confused on your requirement.. If you are talking about a -3 fitting, is it JIC? if so they use a 37 degree taper. AC fittings usually use 45 degree tapers......big difference. I use Fastenal Industrial supplies for most of my fittings. You will have to know exactly what you want with the correct definition and naming convention to find what you need. Then it's easy. Without that, your pissing in the wind.

dcash

Plastic
Well, I found them today. Somehow the search engine just wasn't seeing them on Saturday.
All of the many dozens of commercial AC units I've worked on, and all of the older cars using R12 had 1/4" 45 deg. gauge ports.
The Camry high side port uses a 3/16" 45 deg. male fitting w. schrader so a standard gauge set is too big. I too thought they were all the same size.
The adapters have a 3/16" 45 female end, with insert to open the schrader valve and a 1/4" 45 deg. male end with schrader valve for the gauge set.
I also learned that many "Mini-Split" residential systems using R410 have 5/16" gauge ports, so I ordered adapters for them too, in case one crops up in the future.
The few commercial R410 units I've encountered all had standard sized ports.
Already have all the R134A stuff for the newer vehicles.
Thanks for the replies.
Dave
(Now I have to dry off that windy-piss, I forgot the fittings using dash size system are 37 deg. Thanks Steve!).