What's new
What's new

OT - AC condenser with dual compressors - do they both run?

GregSY

Diamond
I was at my kids' school today and the AC units outside started up while I was standing near it.

It didn't sounds too good, and I noticed the fan closest to the building was not spinning very fast.

I couldn't tell if it was spinning slowly because it was lame, or because it was 'off' and the other fan's suction was just making it spin idly.

It looks like this condenser has two compressors and two fans. Of course I couldn't tell by looking if the other compressor was running. So my question is...does a dual compressor setup like this ever run just one compressor/fan, or do they both run always? It seems to me they would both need to run but I'm not sure...

ac.jpg

One compressor can run at a time and usually one fan can run at a time. Depending on how the unit is set up, the primary fan may have a "motor master" to slow / speed up the fan based on head pressure. Other machines have a simple on off control based on head pressure. without looking at it in detail it is hard to say what you have there.

JR

Get out your pocket comb and straighten those fins. That may help with tuition... :)
I think you could tell if fan #2 motor was 'locked up' enough to spin super slow. They usually buzz somethin' fierce. Although it could have dropped a leg of power, too...

Chip

Ahh OK thanks. I guess I was just seeing one fan run cuz it's supposed to.

Those fins....if you could see the large side of the coil you'd see a bunch of handprints, names, and other such traces of kids....which makes me wonder why they don't have some sort of screen or guard.

Some split systems use two compressors in one box to save space. They can be two totally separate units with nothing in common except they are housed in one exterior box to save space. Here in central California those coils would be ripped out and sold for scrap to buy drugs.
Bill D.

Back