What's new
What's new

OT: Aerodark's final request

Sorry for your loss. I am sure some members close to you can help you sort whatever needs sorting.
When my grandfather passed some 30 years ago I took some of the oddest but useful things. I use them all the time, even wear stuff out, but I feel like that is the best way to remember, handling and using things on a daily basis rather than mementos stuffed in a closet to be preserved.

My condolences, I bought and sold tools to/ from your dad on here over the years and had conversations with him too, our dealings were always good an found him to be a friendly and trustworthy man. I’m sure he will be smiling knowing his tools are being used by other PM members

Just when I am starting to have thoughts about backing off on PM, along comes a thread like this that reminds me of the value of PM as a community.

-Marty-

Hey Marty,

I was hesitant to bring this to a place of business so to speak. I’ve been overwhelmed by the kindness of you all! It’s been a roller coaster for me emotionally for the last 47 days. Some days are great and some are extra hard.

After reaching out to this community, I have realized that with time comes healing, and with allowing others to share my grief I find some solace!

What a great bunch you all are. Many thanks to everyone who has commented, given advice and shared condolences.

I am beyond thankful ❤️

My condolences, I bought and sold tools to/ from your dad on here over the years and had conversations with him too, our dealings were always good an found him to be a friendly and trustworthy man. I’m sure he will be smiling knowing his tools are being used by other PM members
This is awesome to hear! If there was one thing Dad was, it was trustworthy. He taught me the importance of saying what you mean, and meaning what you say. He was the best and I’ll miss him for the rest of my life.

Sorry for your loss. I am sure some members close to you can help you sort whatever needs sorting.
When my grandfather passed some 30 years ago I took some of the oddest but useful things. I use them all the time, even wear stuff out, but I feel like that is the best way to remember, handling and using things on a daily basis rather than mementos stuffed in a closet to be preserved.
I agree completely, utilizing the “things” left behind is what our loved ones would want. Letting it sit and collect dust feels like a disservice. I’m hoping to help some college kids who are exploring the trade by donating items that may be useful to them. I had a gentleman local to me reach out on Facebook with this wonderful idea! I appreciate the love from the Practical Machinist community. I wasn’t sure how this would go when I posted, but I’m sure glad I did. ❤️

I met Mark when he was living just north of Kirkland, where I live. I bought some tool steel from him which I made into vise jaws which are on my big vise to this day.

One point of clarification: are all his tools and machines in Bow, or are they still down in Eugene?

It is hard to deal with a huge collection of home shop machines, tools, shop fixtures, materials and projects. It is enormously harder if you are as emotionally attached as you are. If you can afford it, you should know that local auction companies like Murphy Auctions in Kenmore will do a home shop if it's big enough. You don't have to be there agonizing as each treasure leaves one by one in the hands of new owners. You won't get nearly as much as things would go for if they were individually listed, but it would all be done in one day and you can move on.

Whether in Bow or Eugene I would be interested in looking over the collection.

metalmagpie

I met Mark when he was living just north of Kirkland, where I live. I bought some tool steel from him which I made into vise jaws which are on my big vise to this day.

One point of clarification: are all his tools and machines in Bow, or are they still down in Eugene?

It is hard to deal with a huge collection of home shop machines, tools, shop fixtures, materials and projects. It is enormously harder if you are as emotionally attached as you are. If you can afford it, you should know that local auction companies like Murphy Auctions in Kenmore will do a home shop if it's big enough. You don't have to be there agonizing as each treasure leaves one by one in the hands of new owners. You won't get nearly as much as things would go for if they were individually listed, but it would all be done in one day and you can move on.

Whether in Bow or Eugene I would be interested in looking over the collection.

metalmagpie
Hey there @metalmagpie,

That’s wild that you knew my Dad and did some business with him. I hope you got to know him a bit and how truly awesome he was!

Dad sold the machines before relocating to Utah in 2017. We picked his tools/boxes up at the shop he was working at in Eugene and brought them to my house in Bow. They are currently stored in my basement.

I am hoping to arrange a tool viewing of sorts in the next few weeks. First, I need to talk to my brothers about things they may want to keep. We are scattered across 3 states so it has been tricky coordinating that over FaceTime.

When I have a better idea date wise, I’ll be posting that here! May I tag you when the time comes? Or direct message you?

Thank you for the story about meeting my Pops, it brought a smile to my face. ❤️

Heartfelt thanks,
Melissa

It's been four days now since I saw the title of this thread and the lights dimmed for moment.
It's taken me several attempts to finish reading (just now) and try to put a coherent response in words.
I don't know why it's had such an effect.
I didn't know your dad and we traded few words here but his posts and responses were among those that I looked forward to.
Your tribute to him, along with those here who knew him, says a lot about the man he was ... and you.
Thank you for letting us know, and the photos.

It's been four days now since I saw the title of this thread and the lights dimmed for moment.
It's taken me several attempts to finish reading (just now) and try to put a coherent response in words.
I don't know why it's had such an effect.
I didn't know your dad and we traded few words here but his posts and responses were among those that I looked forward to.
Your tribute to him, along with those here who knew him, says a lot about the man he was ... and you.
Thank you for letting us know, and the photos.
Hey @KilrB

I get it. I totally do. I have the bittersweet ability to deeply feel other peoples pain. It’s a blessing and a curse! I hope my original post was received by everyone the way it was by you. It was my intention to share bits of my Dad’s life so that those who didn’t know him could get a feel for the legend he was.

I’m happy to know that his memory will live on in so many ways! I couldn’t ask for more, honestly. I miss him so dearly and 35 years with him in my life will never be enough. At this point, all I can do is cling on to the memories and pictures. That’s all I’ve got ❤️

Warm regards,
Melissa

Melissa I am sorry for your loss. I wish I had got to meet him. guys like that are rare. I would say to you keep all the writings that you have written here and there responses. Believe me they will make you smile when you need it. We all handle loss the more love the harder the loss but also the memory’s to fall back on.
Boyd

I'm saddened by your loss, and the loss of Aerodark's posts on this forum. I was the recipient of some of his generosity in the form of a Walker magnetic chuck that was sort of broken, which he offered on this forum for the cost of shipping. I jumped at the opportunity, received the chuck, spent some time doing some rebuilding, made a few parts, bought a few parts, wrote up a saga with photos about it, and ended up with a nicely-working mag chuck for my occasional forays into surface grinding. Every time I look at the grinder now I'll be thinking of Mark.

Condolences from Sweden. Never had anything to do with your father, but I remember his nickname. What has happened here, on this site, is one of the reasons I, as a amateur, still frequent it.
My sincere wishes for a positive outcome of this for you and your family.
Kjelle

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad.
A few years back I was having some trouble out of a customer, and paying.
Aerodark sent me a message, and we went back and forth for a while, and he really helped me.
He will be dearly missed.
I don't get on here as much as I used to.
This is sad to hear, qnd prayers for you, family, and friends .
Rest In Peace.

Jackal

Hello everyone.

My Dad, Mark @aerodark, has been a part of this online community since 2008. He started his career as a machinist/toolmaker in Phoenix, Arizona back in the early 90’s. After 3 kids, a failed marriage and losing his parents, my Dad moved us up to Washington State in 1998. Once my brothers and I left the coop, my Dad spent the next 12 years moving around the western United States before finally landing in Eugene, Oregon. On July 16th of this year, my Dad suddenly passed away after a lifelong battle with his mental health. My family and I are absolutely devastated.

I am reaching out to this community for some guidance. We inherited only personal items from our Dad. The tools he has collected over the last 30+ years hold much more meaning than any amount of money ever could. He held them on early mornings with tired hands, determined to make a living while having 3 mouths to feed besides his own. He worked many long days after hour long commutes to provide as a single father. When I see, hold and smell his tools, my heart breaks. I also smile thinking of all the metal chips he always had in his clothes and shoes and funny stories he’d tell us about work. The smell of the oils, the stickers on his toolbox..they bring both happiness and an emptiness that will remain with me for the rest of my life.

Here’s where you all come in. My hope is to find new homes for some of his tools so that his memory and passion for toolmaking can live on. All of the proceeds will go toward preparing a memorial service we have planned for our Dad this Fall in Arizona.

I don’t know much when it comes to the trade or tools involved, although my sweet Pops sure tried to teach me! If anyone has any tips or advice on how I can/should get started…it would be so incredibly appreciated!

For any of the many friends my Dad made through this site, please accept my gratitude. I am certain that you all somehow positively impacted my Dad and made his hard days better. As his daughter, I am grateful to you all!!

I am attaching some pictures of my Dad, Mark, to share his smile with the world! He is so missed and forever will be. Thank you ❤️ -Melissa Froehlich

I haven't gotten through all the posts here yet, but I have to say that if your dad is able to see this post above, that he will feel accomplished in life and his job was complete. That was obviously written by someone who has experienced life, and the struggles of balancing the needs of life personally, not just witnessing it. The rest of us can only hope to have that written about us in our time. Would you possibly be available for virtual adoption?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
Ox!! What a statement! Thank you so much for that!

I have been MIA this week..busy with back to school for my kiddos and just life in general.

I am amazed each time I get on this forum, by the absolutely awesome contributions made to this thread. I’m not sure anyone knows just how much all of your words and advice truly mean!

I hope my Pops knew how treasured he was. I will speak about him until I, too, take my last breath. He was and will always be my best friend in the world.

I hope I am making him proud ❤️

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad.
A few years back I was having some trouble out of a customer, and paying.
Aerodark sent me a message, and we went back and forth for a while, and he really helped me.
He will be dearly missed.
I don't get on here as much as I used to.
This is sad to hear, qnd prayers for you, family, and friends .
Rest In Peace.

Jackal
Jackal,

I am not the least bit surprised by your personal experience with my Dad. He was always helping someone, whether it be family, friends or total strangers. He was a true rockstar of a guy.

Your condolences mean so much ❤️

Back