What's new
What's new

OT-- another EBAY pain in the butt dealing with buyer

annoying

Hot Rolled
Well, it hasn't become a pain in the butt yet. but I know it is going there......

I really hate bringing stuff up on here like this, so I don't usually.... but this may right out boil down to cutting off channels, be it my choice or not.

Problem is.....
I've had a few recent international packages where the buyers choose first class mail, although I state "at your own risk" since there is no tracking on first class mail international, and stating that also. The reason I ever offered that is, well, who wants to pay $25-32 shipping on a $18 part. Problem is, when they claim to not receive something, then if they file a claim, I'm F%^&ed. Simply because I have no way to track. I've received a few negative feedbacks recently, and through time because of this. i do not do as much on ebay anymore so it will probably come down to a limited or suspended account If I should add another negative.... so that is why I thought I'd get other thoughts first on the current jack ass.....

Current situation........
Guy bought something on Saturday, Feb. 25th, it was sent on Tuesday Feb. 28th, but then to be returned........ Apparently batch of labels that were whack for whatever reason... haven't figured that out yet, but has happened a few times the last several months. I'm not totally dumb to what I'm doing on that, seeing that I've easily spent more than $80,000 just on shipping the last few years...... anyway, was returned so I saw what happened and re-sent, which was on Saturday March 3rd.

Okay, guy emails yesterday, Monday March 5th, wants to know where the part is, says he already told his customer it should be there Monday at the latest. I emailed back and told him what happened, said I'm sorry if I didn't email you (I'm certain I did try anyway), blah blah, been re-sent, blah blah, should be there by Wednesday, blah blah.....

anyway, he emailed back the following:

WOW this is terrible, why would you not inform me of your mistake. I have my customer calling me every day and i told him that the part was here all ready and i was just backed up a day or two. He is soposto pick up the bike Wednesday night at 7pm. I already had to reimburse him $20 for not meeting the deadline i sighed off on. What is the tracking #? can you send it over night? Is it to late to just cancel my order?? I spent more money now on your product then i would of if i just went to my local bike dealer down the street. I am not very happy at all. Is there anything you can do for me?

#1, I'm mostly certain I attempted to email him, but sure I can't know if he received it. #2, I've never heard of anyone signing off on a dealine working on someone's bike... never.... #3, Why in the hell, really, why in the hell would anyone lie and say it was there, just been busy???? If someone like this lies, it is to push blame onto a retailer, not take blame for them. #4, why would this guy refund his customer? He should not have been paid yet, plus he didn't know what was going on yet.... nobody does that... I mean really....

Anyway, my main reason for bringing this here is to see what others think. To me, this guy is just another ebay jack ass trying to get something for free. i mean really, I'm no dumb butt. You take a bike to any legitimate place this time of year, it is there for 3-4 weeks or more easy. I've never heard of a "by this date or else" agreement. And nobody in this world takes a deposit on an $18 part, with 20 minutes labor.....

But maybe I am already biased by the fact that at least twice a month I get retards that might offer to pay me $25 for a part that I have listed at $60, which is made far better, costs me more, and still already cheaper than most anywhere else. Or the turd that says he'll buy this $24 part if I give him free priority mail international shipping, which starts at like $30. Or the guy that wants the $24 part if I offer free shipping and throw in this $18 part...... bunch of damn scavengers they are.

Oh, and lastly, why, if he is already late and so desperate, would he ask if I could cancel???

Any thoughts????

Sounds like he's a lying sack of Atlas (which I guess is the appropriate word on the forum).

"i told him that the part was here all ready"

Who in his right mind would say it was here when it wasn't? All that can do is have the customer catch you in a lie. There is no upside to that.

"What is the tracking #? "

I you did as you explained, he would know damn well there wasn't a tracking number.

"I spent more money now on your product then i would of if i just went to my local bike dealer down the street. "

That's a laugh riot! If that was the case, he would have gone down the street in the first place.

In this specific case, my guess is that he's an idiot, a thief or both.

Your problems in general are much larger.

And people get pissed at me when I tell them no international shipping.

One of the problems with ebay is that you are not allowed to say "if you don't want tracking, then it's not my fault it doesn't get there".

In fact, new ebay policy forbids you from using terms and telling the buyer that if he doesn't agree to the terms, don't bid. Yea, re-read that one - I was just as surprised.

One of the specific phrases you are not allowed to use is "click here to view our selling policies". And then, ebay puts, right below it, links for you to read if you have any questions, and one of them is "click here to view our selling policies".

Hey, I originally tried to put this in the "general" category.... what the heck happened????

Since it was about selling, it may have been moved here.

Steve

After being burned a couple of times I have refused to ship international packages that do not go priority mail and I also will not ship USPS parcel post. Both for just about the same reason, they might not get there. I would rather not sell something than ship using those two methods and in the past I have refused the sale. :smoking:

Last edited:
Why is it that only the idiots/troublemakers are always "Soooo busy" and always behind the "deadline"? There's ALWAYS something beneath that rhetoric. Bunch of lame asses.

Stay the course, annoying, and stick to facts. eBay gives you X amount of time to deliver an item. You are not responsible for someone else's deadline. Just tell him again it was shipped on March 3rd. Hopefully you have your PO receipt:willy_nilly: My recommendation is forward an image of it (it will list location at least) to his direct email. You should have this from the PayPal statement (assuming he paid paypal). Make sure you message this fact through ebay messaging. That's all the eBay douchbags that will decide the case will see. If you come off as a rational, factually based person I suspect you will have a better outcome over this buyers ranting.

Good luck. :(

yet another reason I only ship ebay stuff USPS priority or UPS. International buyers pay a minimum of $18.95 ($16.95 my cost) for a small FRB or FRE, regardless of the value of the contents. I sell many low value items on ebay (fasteners) and it is not unusual for someone to pay the above postage for a $4 item.

Some ask if I can send it FCM Int'l, but I wont. Besides, you can't print FCM int'l labels online anyway, and who wants to drive to the post office if it can be avoided? My carrier picks up everything at my door.

Sorry if what I put was misleading. I only put that about the international because that is where I've been getting burnt recently. This current rear end is here in the states and, if he should, adding another negative may be too much, I don't know. I probably shouldn't care as ebay is a rip anyway and I don't do as much one there anymore.

I do see some here think the way I initially thought.... That is... It isn't my fault what ever he did on his end. I cant know what went wrong here initially with the first package, but I did take care of it as I thought should be. If he made promises, or whatever, I don't feel I should bow down to his needs...... see what happens.....

I have had trouble with every buyer outside the states. So now I block every one of them on E-bay. Never regretted it. Maybe you need the outside sales. I don't. Life is much better now.

In fact, new ebay policy forbids you from using terms and telling the buyer that if he doesn't agree to the terms, don't bid. Yea, re-read that one - I was just as surprised.

One of the specific phrases you are not allowed to use is "click here to view our selling policies". And then, ebay puts, right below it, links for you to read if you have any questions, and one of them is "click here to view our selling policies".

Steve

Not exactly the same thing, but I did see one seller's odd little exception. "I don't ship to Michigan or Ohio." WTF is that about? I can certainly see no international shipping, (after the O.P.'s story) but just 2 specific states?

Jeff

Unless Paypal has changed their policies (which they do, I'll admit) for anything valued under $250 you only have to provide proof of shipment, not tracking or proof of delivery. I've had a customer or two overseas never receive their shipment (most likely lost or stolen from their own postal system). They've attempted claims, but all I had to provide Paypal with was proof of shipment (a scanned copy of a receipt) and it was fine.

For anything over $250 I don't give buyers the option to not buy insurance (only list Priority or Express as options and pad the weight a bit to cover the insurance cost).

You won't like this but its for your own good. :bawling:

It looks like to me you don't run a very tight ship. And that is partly why stuff keeps popping up like this.

"labels were whack"
"I am mostly certain"

And you seem to encourage your customers to think that your shipping estimates are written in blood. You cannot allow this and expect to be successful and happy. Pick a date that you can really deliver and then do it. Every time. 90% may seem good enough for you but for those 10% of customers whose stuff is late you are just an epic failure.

International packages "at your own risk" won't cut it either. You know who eBay will ding when something goes wrong. By their rules you can't shift blame to someone else.

The other thing is that some people are not your customers and you can't make them happy no matter what you do. Think of ways to discourage them from doing business with you.

Now for those who you feel are scamming you on not getting their packages, you need to figure out a way to prove delivery. It'll cost more and you won't like it and neither will the customers. But get over it. You are playing in someone else's yard and they (eBay) get to set the rules.

Finally, if you are sure someone is trying to hose you, tell him to take a hike and let the chips fall where they may. A few negative hits shouldn't ruin you if you're doing your business right.

Everyone can be a dickhead on occasion, even the sellers. I won an auction a while back, cost me 21 bucks for the item and 27 bucks shipping. The seller emailed me after he shipped it bitching that the post office wanted 64 bucks shipping so he said fuck that and sent it UPS for 29 bucks and he whined that he "lost" 2 bucks on the shipping. Well it comes to my door and they want 37 bucks brokerage fee. I paid it ( they wouldn't have given it to me otherwise) and that was that. so I get a 21 dollar item costing 64 dollars to ship. But wait....UPS doesn't really have a service here...they contract it out. UPS sends me several bills for 37 bucks (which I ignored). Guess the contractor pocketed the money or something. So now a collection agency has it and for the last 6 months has called me everyday wanting the money. I actually answered the phone several times and told the Paki that I paid it and he wants me to prove it. I'm thinking this may go on forever as I have no intention of digging through my banking records to prove it. The seller screwed up on this. It was a 27 dollar package...I've got lots this size. I did not give him a negative rating. Shit happens....then you die
Mike

i don't get why you guys are having such poor luck shipping internationally that you stop doing business outside the U.S.

I typically ship 10-20 packages all over the world every week. I have never had an international shipment lost, ever. Domestic USPS is a different story, but i suppose it makes sense just because of the number of shipments. I have also never had an international customer give me grief over anything. Lots of wackos from the U.S. on my blocked bidders list though.

Some people on ebay are just trouble makers and only see things their way.

I have had my share of problems with ebay sellers over the past 11 years. It makes no difference if you do have a tracking number if the buyer claims he did not receive the item and files a claim with paypal he gets a full refund no questions asked and the seller gets screwed.

I sold a brand new jacket that my son out grew, he only wore it 1 times. I had 6 photos, measures, size, and answered all buyers questions. Ad said NO REFUNDs do not bid it this jacket will not fit you. Buyer said the jacket did not fit and wanted a full refund. I said no. He filed a paypal claim and got a full refund. The jacket was returned with yellow paint on it and it had been cut with a razor blade in several places. This burns my ass I would love to get an airline ticket and go to this jerks house with a baseball bat and brake both is arms and legs.

I mailed 4 packages to a guy in NV he kept telling me the packaged never arrived even thought the tracking number said it had been delivered. He finally mentioned that he lives 35 miles out in the desert and the mail man does not like coming out there. So I mailed the last package so he had to sign in person to prove it was received and that one got delivered. He was happy. The mail man was the problem.

Sometimes buyer claim they never recieved the package even though the tracking number says they did just to get a refund fromp paypal because they know they can.

There are people that do not read the auction, they look at the pictures and bid. Then they want a refund. I sold an old antique pocket watch that was over wound and the hands were missing appraised value was $35 and it sold for $35. Buyer gave me a negative because the watch did not run and the hands were missing. That was back in the days when the seller could leave feedback too. I left a negative feedback that said. READ the auction it says hands are missing and watch is over wound. IDIOT!

There are too many idiots and thieves on ebay. I quit ebay for several years but now I am getting rid of things I don't need. It is so easy to donate it to Goodwill. A $100 item that might sell for $30 on ebay I can donate it and take a $65 tax deduction. WOW donating is so EASY compaired to selling it on Ebay or Craigslist. I had $4500 in tax deductions this year and paid NO FEDERAL INCOME TAX this year. Wow that was nice. I would have been luck to get $1000 for all that stuff if I sold it and it would have been a hastle. Now the only thing I sell are things I can not donate.

I have had people that did not pay for 2 or 3 weeks then complain 2 days later, where is my order? If they don't pay for 3 weeks I'm getting in no hurry to mail the item.

A seller can no longer check a buyers feedback rating it is NOW impossible for a buyer to have negative feedback so the next best thing is to see how many feedbacks they have. Buyers with 0 to 10 feedbacks are very high risk. I have gotten so I emails such buyer to ask them if they intend to pay. If I get no answer I block their bid. I would rather have an item not sell that to deal with none paying bidders.

Once I had a buyer send me a message that said, naturally I don't intend to pay this high price so lets work out a deal. I told him ebay rules require he pay the bid price and I get charged FEES based on the selling price. He said, if you don't sell me this item for $2 I will leave you negative feedback. I told him postage in 12 photo copies is about $2. He argued with me so I told him his item would be in the mail box tomorrow. A week later he wanted to know where his order is. I told him it is still in the mail box the post man won't take it because it has not postage. He mailed me some postage stamps in an envelope. I put the 12 photo copies and postage stamp in the mail box a week later the guy wanted to know where his order is. I told him it is still in the mail box post man will not take 12 copies and stamps unless they are in a large brown 50 cent envelope. He mailed me 50 cents. I used the copy machine at work to reduce 12 paged to fit on 1 page and I mailed him the item. I received a message from him that said, Your good! He never left me a negative. That was a 1 month hastle.

I sold a brand new hydraulic pump on ebay. It was a $800 pump I bought but never used and could not return. It sold and the buyer filed a claim with paypal claiming the pump was worn out. He returned pump and paypal gave him a full refund. The pump he returned was not the same pump. He swapped my new pump for his junk worn out pump and sent me the bad pump and get a refund too. There is NO option to dispute stuff like this. Best thing to do is keep records and that the $800 tax deduction. My tax person always wants the name and address of the buyer to report them to the IRS. I get the Tax Deduction the buyer gets the IRS up his ass.

I refuse to argue with buyers anymore. I tell them to return item for a refund. Sometimes they argue about that they want to keep the item at a reduced price. I tell them, refund or you keep it.

Last edited:
Some people on ebay are just trouble makers and only see things their way.

Yes. Absolutely. And it has gotten very bad the last few years.

I sold a brand new jacket that my son out grew, he only wore it 1 times. I had 6 photos, measures, size, and answered all buyers questions. Ad said NO REFUNDs do not bid it this jacket will not fit you. Buyer said the jacket did not fit and wanted a full refund. I said no. He filed a paypal claim and got a full refund. The jacket was returned with yellow paint on it and it had been cut with a razor blade in several places. This burns my ass I would love to get an airline ticket and go to this jerks house with a baseball bat and brake both is arms and legs.

This is a bunch of horse poop. Did you try to appeal on that? Just curious. I don't know if it would have gotten anywhere. I do think in the same way as you seem to. Makes you want to go knock some sense into these idiots. The world would be better with less of them, that's for sure.

Sometimes buyer claim they never recieved the package even though the tracking number says they did just to get a refund fromp paypal because they know they can.

Definately have dealt with this kind. I've had many times where people email and ask where their item is or ask when I'm going to send it. And so many times this is after it was already delivered, sometimes a week or more prior.

I have received emails from people getting nasty after USPS shows it was delivered a few days before. Then when I point that out, either no reply, or I occassionally get a "oh, well I thought it would come UPS, not in the mail. I hadn't checked my mail". Okay, but it shows method of ship when you are checking out and in the listing. Some have even emailed back to say that I should tell people if I'm just going to send it in the mail instead of UPS.

I've received emails from ebay that someone tried to open a dispute before the permitted time of 7 days. I put 2-3 business days to ship. What's wrong with these people?

I've had people email saying they did not receive something that shows delivered that day or the day before. i point it out that is was delivered and the response is that their child got the mail or their wife got the mail and they did not tell them. Okay, if you are waiting for something, wouldn't you ask fellow occupants? Or that they had not checked the mail the last few days. BS.... maybe the reason they did not check the mail is because they don't want to see stuff from bill collectors, which makes it easier for me to believe they are simply trying to feel me out to see if I have a tracking number and they were probably planning to make a claim to get free parts that they were too broke to buy in the first place. If it was one or 2 times, I might let it slide, but it has been numerous, So I suspect I know what they are trying to do. Especially since this happens the same or next day of delivery.

My favorite is one a year ago. Guy tried to file a dispute before it was time. It didn't help that I was a bit behind getting it out. Just a bit. He disputed after he could, which was like the same day or a day before it was delivered. I forwarded information to him to let him know it was sent. After the dispute was placed, I forwarded info again through regular email and through ebay. He still escalated the dispute to a claim, after it was already delivered. I let it go, thinking he would find it and cancel the claim. Nope, sure enough ebay settled the claim in his favor. I appealed and it took ebay like 2 months to reverse the claim. Only took a couple hours for ebay to take the money from me.

You know what..... I guess this is turning into more of a rant....... sorry.

Of the handful of times that I have made an error and a buyers sees delay getting his part, this current situation in the original post has given about the most lame BS i've heard that seems obviously in an attempt to steal a discount.

But, i suppose the icing on the cake should have been a little less than a year ago. I had a buyer try to tell me he had the wrong part, and in this case, I knew for DAMN sure I did not mess up. the guy argued that a lowering link for a motorcycle was not the right length. After trying to dumb down the physics of a lever and explain it to him, he wouldn't have it. He said the mechanic said it was wrong too. Okay, I'm sorry, the mechanic don't know what he is talking about and I have seen this many times. He tries to tell me "they are going to order "such and such" lowering link and it will be right and that I need to compensate for this and that cause I don't know what I'm doing and wasted his time." "He should have been here and there but has been fussing with this bike and I have messed up his schedule."

and here's the good part..... He said, "Just remember who is the buyer in this case"

Yeah, right then and there i should have cancel my ebay stuff and closed account. I tried to explain to him again, sometimes mechanics are mistaken on what it takes. I make these and know what i'm doing and have been for a while. This particular part I have been running for 5 years and suddenly he thinks he is right and I am wrong. Called me many names, and used lots of "sentence enhancing" words. I told him to return it for a refund. He disputed and gets his money back and no parts returned. I tried to send details of this to ebay a couple times and received absolutely nothing. they don't care.

I guess I should get away from ebay crap. I had recently started to try to use ebid.net. It is quite similar and has only been tossed in the shadows because of ebay hype. There is not near as much on ebid, but if people started using it more, I bet it could overtake ebay. It just needs attention. And more items for sale. also, I recently sold a $110 chain and it costed me $2.03. If it was on ebay, it would have been like over $10 in fees......

Anyway, sorry for the long rant. Thanks for your thoughts and... well... I guess it is well past time to end ebay.

E-bay doesn't want our business

What everyone is missing is eBay is intentionally squeezing out individuals and small businesses. Their stated goal is to have only a few large retailers of new items, a la Amazon.

The eBay policy the buyer is always right, no matter how much of a thief he is, is impossible for an individual or small business. Our profit margins are so thin, a few crooks will ruin a month's work. Guess what? Ebay doesn't care and the sooner we give it up and go away, the happier they'll be.

jack vines

Back