What's new
What's new

OT: Anybody drive a Toyota Tundra? How's reliability been for you?

eKretz

Diamond; Mod Squad
I picked up a secondhand Tundra, hoping to keep it for 20+ years. I had it up on a lift before buying it, there is some surface rust underneath that I plan to nip in the bud, mostly at some of the welds. Nothing major though. If anyone has one, I'd appreciate a report on anything that has gone wrong with yours, so I can keep an eye out for any trouble areas.

IcpGQEPRm84yXvluT8VIq1vNLo4.jpg

KubdwjXHdSYBAwGMVnNXMrveoqM.jpg

kATBZvL_SBMRZNVgDWXC-IPsTq4.jpg

I picked up a secondhand Tundra, hoping to keep it for 20+ years. I had it up on a lift before buying it, there is some surface rust underneath that I plan to nip in the bud, mostly at some of the welds. Nothing major though. If anyone has one, I'd appreciate a report on anything that has gone wrong with yours, so I can keep an eye out for any trouble areas.

View attachment 416213

View attachment 416214

View attachment 416215

Place I worked had one, seemed like it had some little mickey mouse issue about once a month. Trans pitched at about 120,000. dealer wanted 2600.00 to fix it. I hated driving it because the throttle tip in from idle was violent, don't even try ease away from a stop. Really sucked in the winter or anytime you had poor traction.

Could be. I did not drive it much, the parts runner drove it most of the time.

I did drive quite a few before picking this one. Seemed like one of the older ones acted like you described. I remember trying to give it a little gas and I hit a little tiny bump at the transition of the parking lot and the road while exiting the dealership - that little bounce of the pedal and it spun the tires. Mine is a lot different.

I think getting 20 years out of a Toyota is entirely possible with good maintenace. Friend has an older Tundra, his only regret is there were two V8 options in the year he bought the truck, he choose the smaller of the two V8's, said he should have got the larger engine for towing.

I'm on my 3rd Tundra. First was bought used with 98k miles on it. I put roughly another 20k on it over the 3 years I had it. I had to replace the factory alternator. Never had another problem with it. The two since then were new leases, and I have/had no problems at all with either one. It's my daily driver, and I pull an 8000 lb camper around multiple times per year. I wish the mileage was better, but, not enough to drive the speed limit and do my part for efficiency.

my neighbour had one as a work truck and the only thing he complained about was that it went through brake disks and pads like a kid through candy. I drove it once and was really impressed by its ride and handling.

My friends have a lot of Tacomas but a few of them had Tundras. Most of the Tundra owners realized it was too much truck for them, as they just did home depot runs in it once a month or so.

I told them HD will rent you their truck for 19 bucks. They were paying over $500/month for the truck to sit in the driveway.

I have only seen the frame issues on older Tacomas, but they replaced them all. Yours looks nice for sure.

I have my Mom's 2011 Sequoia(SUV version of Tundra). It is extremely sensitive in the first bit of gas pedal travel. Not tire spinning sensitive, but oops! sorry sensitive. It has the 5.7 liter V8, not sure of the axle ratio.3.909 or 4.30. It's 17mpg around town, 17mpg highway, 17mpg towing my (modest) boat. Even speed doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference between 55 and 70. It only has a 26.4 gallon tank. A conversion of 100 liters.

What is a reasonable mileage to get out of one? I drive average 100 miles a day, so 30,000 a year easy. Had a Corolla that I sold at 288 that has since exceeded 300.

Hit up some of the Toyota Truck and Tundra specific forums, to see what the weak points are. Off the top of my head, I recall hearing about camshaft issues, mostly breakages, in some years.
At worst, that would mean keeping an eye out for a deal on a used engine or engine trans unit, so you have it in hand as insurance against need, eh?

Was never a real fan of Toyota's cruise control, as it tended to simply slow down until it hit it's lowest limit, then slam the throttle wide open until the vehicle reached set speed. Kinda crude. Yours may not do that. Dunno.

Hit up some of the Toyota Truck and Tundra specific forums, to see what the weak points are. Off the top of my head, I recall hearing about camshaft issues, mostly breakages, in some years.
At worst, that would mean keeping an eye out for a deal on a used engine or engine trans unit, so you have it in hand as insurance against need, eh?

Was never a real fan of Toyota's cruise control, as it tended to simply slow down until it hit it's lowest limit, then slam the throttle wide open until the vehicle reached set speed. Kinda crude. Yours may not do that. Dunno.

I'll poke around for a few. Starting with the one linked by Sami. I never really used cruise control much. This one has some sort of radar sensor cruise thing that maintains following distance. I dunno. Probably will never use it.

Wow 4.3 axle! I swapped the 4.11 out for a 2.70 in my big block dually. Pulls just as hard as before with a third less revs.

Yeah they slap that in when you have the towing package stuff I guess, along with transmission and oil coolers, etc. Doesn't really seem too bad since it has the high number of gears in the auto trans. Top gear must be a crazy high ratio, it only sits at around 1500 RPM at 60 mph. It's got a decent tow rating, right around 10,000 lbs.

What is a reasonable mileage to get out of one? I drive average 100 miles a day, so 30,000 a year easy. Had a Corolla that I sold at 288 that has since exceeded 300.

From most of the reports I've seen from people, they pretty routinely go 250k+ with little more than routine maintenance. That's one reason I wanted one.

MY kid has had one for years & loves it . I bet the neighbor that was goin through brake pads had big wheels & tires . Toyota did have a recall for frame rust on the Tacomas , not sure bout the Tundra . What year did ya get ? Looks like a pretty new one . Theres several Forums for these trucks . I have a Tacoma that I bought used & have put over 100K on it in the 6 years since I've had it . Oil changes , brakes & I just did sparkplugs , yea I was a bit behind on that one . I have a wheel step that i got from Harbor , but it looks like they don't carry them anymore . Amazon among others carry them , pretty handy on these larger trucks . I bought mine when I had my 4 door diesel service truck . SUper handy . Toyota builds these trucks to last .
animal

From most of the reports I've seen from people, they pretty routinely go 250k+ with little more than routine maintenance. That's one reason I wanted one.
Yeah, they have, overall, a pretty good rep. You pay on the way in, but the value seems to stick like glue, right to end of life too.

Like EVERY manufacturer, there are some key points worth being aware of. Some that will get you in a bind, if you run long on the scheduled maint., others that can be worked around, or past, so that they don't cause you catastrophic thorns in yer butt! The enthusiast forums would be the place to find those out, what the failure mode is, and what may be done to offset the risk!

MY kid has had one for years & loves it . I bet the neighbor that was goin through brake pads had big wheels & tires . Toyota did have a recall for frame rust on the Tacomas , not sure bout the Tundra . What year did ya get ? Looks like a pretty new one . Theres several Forums for these trucks . I have a Tacoma that I bought used & have put over 100K on it in the 6 years since I've had it . Oil changes , brakes & I just did sparkplugs , yea I was a bit behind on that one . I have a wheel step that i got from Harbor , but it looks like they don't carry them anymore . Amazon among others carry them , pretty handy on these larger trucks . I bought mine when I had my 4 door diesel service truck . SUper handy . Toyota builds these trucks to last .
animal
Yeah, they had a run of outside sourced Taco frames that were garbage. Mad props to them for the way they handled it though, they made good for every person that applied within the timeline that was offered! Could have stalled, saved a LOT of money, but that stuff sticks to yer fur pretty good, and they seemed happier that it not!

Back