What's new
What's new

OT-anyone own an Irish Wolfhound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sea Farmer

Diamond
I've always owned rescue dogs, and they've always been big dogs from the "working breed" class--a Briard and two Newfoundlands. I euthanized my beloved Newfie Molly 2 weeks ago, and someone has told me of an Irish Wolfhound available for rescue, 18 months old. We know nothing of the situation, could be a change in family situation, a move, or abuse or neglect. I'm used to dealing with those issues from my previous adoptions and know what questions to ask and what to look for.

What I do not know is much about the breed, except for library reading. I like dogs that are socialized, friendly with children and other dogs, and of agreeable temperament.

If anyone has owned an Irish Wolfhound I'd be interested in their advice.

About as off-topic as this forum ever gets, but I know Don has a soft spot for pets, and I hope he'll allow it. This is a big community of bright people, and someone may be able to tell me something helpful.

Thanks.

I've always owned rescue dogs, and they've always been big dogs from the "working breed" class--a Briard and two Newfoundlands. I euthanized my beloved Newfie Molly 2 weeks ago, and someone has told me of an Irish Wolfhound available for rescue, 18 months old. We know nothing of the situation, could be a change in family situation, a move, or abuse or neglect. I'm used to dealing with those issues from my previous adoptions and know what questions to ask and what to look for.

What I do not know is much about the breed, except for library reading. I like dogs that are socialized, friendly with children and other dogs, and of agreeable temperament.

About as off-topic as this forum ever gets, but I know Don has a soft spot for pets, and I hope he'll allow it. This is a big community of bright people, and someone may be able to tell me something helpful.

Thanks.

Labs & Newfies are about as 'predictable' as family-fit dogs get. First-hand experience.

First hand on Oorang Airedales and Dalmatians as well. Second-hand info on Wolfhounds and Afghans, but expect more variation, one dog to the next on all of those. Also higher vet bills.

Go meet the specific Dog and see how you get along.

Worst-case for him, he at least had a chance.

Bill

Our friends and neighbors have owned near a dozen of them over the years -- almost all rescue dogs. One was a deer hound rather than a wolffound, another was a some sort of wolfhound mix. I've walked and "baby sitted" (they're hardly babies) over the years. Some observations:

1) They've always had them in pairs -- maybe a good thing to do so they keep each other sort of entertained. I suspect his might be a "best practice?" The pairs always managed to work things out among each other and usually seemed to enjoy each others' company.

2) The dogs have ranged from magnificent, super cool, and friendly to (two of them) distressed. I'd swear that the first pair of these I cam to know were dog royalty. Amazing dogs. On the other hand, maybe five and eight dogs later -- two had likely been abused -- always a possibility with rescue dogs. One took three years to calm down and come out of a sort of ill-mannered shell shock and become a typical wolfhound. Lot of work to get there. The other (the mix) had to be put down -- it attacked other pets, bit the ass of a trespassing cyclist (he kind of had it coming, but the dog was out of control even on a leash at the time) and finally killed a pet.

3) We live in deer-coyote-cougar etc. country. Even when you think they're perfectly leash-trained these guys will give chase.

4) They are somewhat short lived and vet bills can turn into $$$. It wouldn't surprise me if our friends have spent $50,000+ on vet bills over the years.

5) Personally, I don't consider yappy little dogs as the real things. These, in contrast, are REAL dogs. But recognize they chow down a lot of food - another expense. They also will change your lifestyle a bit -- you'll have to bargain to keep your favorite spot on the sofa and there will be hair everywhere.

6) They really are a magnificent breed in general -- why our neighbors keep coming back to rescue others. I like 'em a lot.

they chow down a lot of food.

LOL! A Dalmatian can weird a body out on that score. Mine loved 'browsing' snap peas, sweet bell peppers, and half-runner green beans right off the vine in Momma's vegetable garden, dug and et his own onions as well.

Didn't impair his hitting double the AKC average weight, all muscle, no fat. Wasn't averse to meats or even dry Dog food, either.

Just wanted 'more' out of life.

:)

Bill

haven't owned one, but worked with them.

it's simple...if it has teeth, it will bite. you just have to learn it's limits. i've been in fights with lots of dogs, the ones that scare me the most are the golden retreivers and labs. you don't expect it from them.

my coworker had a chihuahua...coolest dog i've ever met. NOT a yipyip dog. Smart as hell, listened, did exactly what it was asked to do, and just very well manored. My coworker also happened to be an excellent trainer and animal handler. Learned soooooo much from her. My point being, she took a dog that most think of as ankle biter assholes, and turned it in to basically a lab.

It's all about how you train the dog, and the bad habits it's coming with. Even with a lot of bad habits, most can be brought back....but let me tell you this. If she told me she didn't trust a dog, I listened. Some are too far gone.

Thanks.

Had, at various times, five Scottish Deerhounds (big-ish) , four Italian Greyhounds(small), and now a Whippet(medium). Never had a Wolfhound, but ran against one or two at Coursing meets, and occasionally against them in the Hound Group at dog shows.

Our experience with rescue dogs has been that you should find out all you can, and be prepared to try the dog in a different home, if you find it does not 'click' at all between you.

I like the sighthound temperament, but they ARE all individuals. Some refuse to act like 99 percent of their own breed do. My experience with male large sighthounds, has been that they tend towards being big, dumb, and happy, while the females are much more laid back and less inclined to be so happy to see you that they feel the need to sweep all your stuff off the coffee table with their tails. They are not generally clingy, want to be near you all the time critters anyways, so expect some standoffishness and be happy if it isn't, right off.

Be prepared to feed it as a growing dog for a bit yet, though it is pretty much at an age where it can start doing 'adult' things, as far as hard exercise goes. Make damn sure you have enough padding to allow the larger dog to lay comfortably without getting pressure sores (you may or may not have had the same issue with the Newfs) and be ready to say goodbye all to soon as the giant breeds tend to have a far too short life span.

Check out any breed club information that you can find, like as not there are some helpful tips to be got for new owners, based on the collective experiences. One of note, is to avoid the IV anesthesia, which some sighthounds react poorly to, in favor of the gas, which is safer. Most Vets are pretty up on that stuff now, but...

Cheers
Trev

A guy used to bring a pair of them into a really nice local pub/restaurant I used to frequent. The landlord was a dog lover as well.

They are bloody big dogs and these two were really restless, always skittering and slithering around on the stone floor of the pub. The owner would sit them down and within a minute of two they'd be up and about.

One night my drinking buddy eventually politely asked the dog owner to control his dogs. The owner got really abusive for no reason so we drank up and left. Never been back there since.

They look like the sort of dog that are high maintenance.

Regards Tyrone.

As most of know I have an extensive background in the medical side of animals(20+ years).
Never owned one but the above advise seems right on; never heard of nor experienced a bad tempered wolf hound.

They do however have a strong propensity to bloat; as do most deep chested breeds. Bloat or gastric dilation volvulus (GDV)is an extremely dangerous and untreated fatal medical condition. For reasons still somewhat unclear the stomach fills with gas (most commonly postprandial), then twist. Once twisted the gas cannot escape and the "balloon" grows as more gas is produced by the digesting food. Also the twist of stomach and subsequent increase in size begins to impinge on blood vessels such as the short gastric arteries. AT this point the stomach tissue begins become necrotic and death occurs.

Okay so the good news; all of this totally treatable and even preventable. Being aware of this as all well informed owners would be you know that time is of essence. If your dog vomits, or more accurately regurgitates, won't drink water, becomes lethargic and exhibits a bloated stomach (like a drum) he/she is more than likely in begging stages of bloat. This situation requires immediate emergency treatment. Very basically this treatment consists of making the diagnosis, pushing fluids hard, and decompression the stomach via light sedation and passage of a stomach tube. This will more thab likley stabilize your dog.
To fix and prevent further episodes a surgery (gastropexy) is needed, there basically 3 different surgical methods to correct this conditions. Surgeries are all similar in the end result, which is to tack the stomach to body wall. Our more astute reads will say "Well shit how does that prevent gas formation?". Simple it does not, what it does do prevent the tummy from twisting allowing the dog to belch and dissipate the gas.
This is so common that some owners elect to pexy their companions prior to an episode of GDV.

The key to successful prevention and treatment this is observation on your part, early detection and immediate treatment. Even in a health animal there lots of potential serious complications that can occur but all pale in comparison the alternatives. Some schools of though indicate that feeding large amounts of dry food, feeding then exercise, and feeding so that the dog has bend their head down to bowls while ingesting food.

Bottom line be aware of this pathology and if you have a breed predisposed to this condition the more you know the better the chances for you companion if GDV develops. Make sure you have an emergency clinic lined up, and be sure to ask if this something that they are equipped both with staff and equipment to handle a GDV. A boarded surgeon is ideal.

Thanks everybody. I'm going to chat more with the person who referred me, who is not the owner, and see what I can find out about the situation. Because I know if I go to meet the dog I'm sunk, I'll have to take her as soon as she looks at me. I'm a sucker that way.

I knew about the bloating issue with deep-chested breeds. We do have excellent vets pretty close by, although my experience has been that emergencies always happen after hours. But there is also an emergency vet hospital here, although I haven't dealt with them. There is an issue with getting a large sick dog into the car by yourself. You can't follow proper lifting ergonomics with large floppy animals, and I've sprained my back getting a sick Newfie into the car alone.

Still on the fence. Newfoundlands have been a perfect match for my temperament and the locality, its hard to imagine a sight-hound type being as well-matched. Also I hate excess barking. A Newfie barks once or twice to let you know someone's coming up the drive, or there's a coyote in the yard, or in response to an ambulance going by (that makes them bay like hounds) and that's about it. One exception: when you're in the car on the highway and a motorcycle pulls up next to you and stays there. That freaks them out (why isn't that person inside something, like us?).

Try a Chessie?:

1651.JPG

One of my sisters had a Wolfhound- a bit skittish and out of control (owner problem no doubt) or a lot to control.. and ended up attacking someone with bad bite result.

Always a problem with rescues, you don't always know what happened before.

You reminded me of a good point though--call agent for homeowners' insurance, they don't cover damages for some breeds' bites. I think the list is actually online somewhere.

Newfoundlands are covered :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back