What's new
What's new

OT: Bringing machines into America from Canada ; Customs question?

I'm sure Milacron's problems were related to it being a business trip.
Nope, as far as they knew and my honest intentions at the time, it wasn't. No company name ever mentioned, invoice I had was in my personal name. They asked what I did for a living and I said I ran an internet forum and handed them a Practical Machinist business card. It came down to the amount of money on the invoice, crossing at the busiest border point and the mood of the customs official. Driving a dually diesel pickup truck probably didn't help, since that probably appeared "gotta be business" to those guys.

Now every time I have crossed the border I'm very nice to the agents and I have all receipts for everything I'm bringing back, and I don't bullshit them about anything.
If you show up at the border and act like your being put out, then maybe things won't go so well.
I was nice and had receipts also. Either you were lucky or I was unlucky..I suspect the former.

Nope, as far as they knew and my honest intentions at the time, it wasn't. No company name ever mentioned, invoice I had was in my personal name. They asked what I did for a living and I said I ran an internet forum and handed them a Practical Machinist business card. It came down to the amount of money on the invoice, crossing at the busiest border point and the mood of the customs official. Driving a dually diesel pickup truck probably didn't help, since that probably appeared "gotta be business" to those guys.

I was nice and had receipts also. Either you were lucky or I was unlucky..I suspect the former.

Milacron,

Did you pay for the machines at the point of pickup, if so I could see that being an issue.
That or it had to be the dollar amount of the items you were bringing across.

When I brought the Pullmax back my truck was less than six months old, the truck, dually crew cab 4 x 4 diesel plus a trailer.

Like I said, I was grilled by several agents while they figured out the duty on the Pullmax.
One agent new where I lived and even asked if I could do some custom sheet metal on his classic car, that's what I told the agents what I was doing with the equipment.
I told him no because I don't do any work for customers, just my cars.
I'm sure he was fishing but you never know.

I have yet to pay any duty on any thing I have brought across, lucky maybe.
We will see the next time.

Kevin

Back