What's new
What's new

OT: Credit card fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
The latest one I heard about on the BBC radio. Some of the technicalities went over my head and the computer fraud experts they invited onto the programme were baffled as well.

The guy originally complaining about the fraud had had largish sums of money ( £100’s ) taken out of his account to pay for taxi journeys he’d never taken. He lived in London and the taxi rides all originated in Birmingham many miles away.

The funny thing was all the fees ended in 33p. IE £563.33. The really strange thing was that all the money was paid back into his bank account later on !

This is the bit I didn’t understand. Somehow the fraud was being perpetrated on the taxi company and it was them that was losing the money. The taxi owners had had to go to the extent of refusing any fares from outside the Birmingham area to stop the fraud.

The guy in question had contacted his bank and they told him in no uncertain terms that he was making the transactions via his Apple Watch and they had proof of this. When he asked to see the proof the bank said “ No, you wouldn’t understand the technicalities of it, it’s much too complicated “.

So the guy no longer uses his Apple Watch and the frauds have stopped. The experts hadn’t a clue how it was done but they said our guy wasn’t the only one this particular fraud had happened to.

Welcome to the UK, the fraud centre of the Universe. Our fraudster’s are the best.

Regards Tyrone.

The scams that worry me are some of the fake American Express email scams. They copy the exact look and nature of an actual email from American Express. The only tells are that the email itself will have an additional character that amex would never do or the letter "E" will have a weird foreign dash above it. The bad ones are usually full of bad english and are obvious but every now and then I get one that looks pretty damn convincing at first glance.

The latest one I heard about on the BBC radio. Some of the technicalities went over my head and the computer fraud experts they invited onto the programme were baffled as well.

The guy originally complaining about the fraud had had largish sums of money ( £100’s ) taken out of his account to pay for taxi journeys he’d never taken. He lived in London and the taxi rides all originated in Birmingham many miles away.

The funny thing was all the fees ended in 33p. IE £563.33. The really strange thing was that all the money was paid back into his bank account later on !

This is the bit I didn’t understand. Somehow the fraud was being perpetrated on the taxi company and it was them that was losing the money. The taxi owners had had to go to the extent of refusing any fares from outside the Birmingham area to stop the fraud.

The guy in question had contacted his bank and they told him in no uncertain terms that he was making the transactions via his Apple Watch and they had proof of this. When he asked to see the proof the bank said “ No, you wouldn’t understand the technicalities of it, it’s much too complicated “.

So the guy no longer uses his Apple Watch and the frauds have stopped. The experts hadn’t a clue how it was done but they said our guy wasn’t the only one this particular fraud had happened to.

Welcome to the UK, the fraud centre of the Universe. Our fraudster’s are the best.

Regards Tyrone.

Purpertrating a phone fraud to create savings in taxes might be common. I once read that lawyers and doctors are the most common to suffer a loss due to robbery or fraud. At first I thought it was because they have money and much assets to be stolen..but then realzed that many such events may be fake.

I bet this thread is going to turn into a "heated debate" really quickly.

Why because Milland is on the attack now? He needs to calm down and know there are changes already here.

Everyone he quotes he says they are something. He calls them names. Milland is a lot of times boring mostly especially when he is of a malicious and also caustic mood.

He is much more endurable when he steps away from extreme anger with hostile demeanor. Not sure why he moves through the different emotions so often. He seems like he just rolls dice or something to choose how he acts each post.

Why because Milland is on the attack now? He needs to calm down and know there are changes already here.

Everyone he quotes he says they are something. He calls them names. Milland is a lot of times boring mostly especially when he is of a malicious and also caustic mood.

He is much more endurable when he steps away from extreme anger with hostile demeanor. Not sure why he moves through the different emotions so often. He seems like he just rolls dice or something to choose how he acts each post.

When a person is constantly pissed off the brain emits chemicals that are not friendly to human longevity...

The last attempt to swindle my card was in some even amounts, $25.00, $20.00, etc. Amounting to about $120. Very easily seen on a monthly statement.
Called bank and they refunded the money back to the account and always investigate. You would think they would have tried uneven amounts that are not easy to spot.

As I said the other day you never hear of bank robberies or armoured car hold ups these days. Internet fraud is much easier and risk free.

Regards Tyrone.
NOT true here in Albuquerque, there have been about a dozen bank robberies so far this year. They never get much so I guess they have to do it often. :-)
...lewie...

The only fraud that worked against me was a stamps.com charge for about $50 (or what) on a card that I had not yet activated. I called the bank and they canceled that charge. I told the bank to cancel that card.

They said somehow their atm made that charge. (?)

9?)

When a person is constantly pissed off the brain emits chemicals that are not friendly to human longevity...

The last attempt to swindle my card was in some even amounts, $25.00, $20.00, etc. Amounting to about $120. Very easily seen on a monthly statement.
Called bank and they refunded the money back to the account and always investigate. You would think they would have tried uneven amounts that are not easy to spot.

I had my debit hacked years ago. I actually got a text about it. I ignored it thinking it (the text) was a scam, but it was real. Whoever got my info bought taco bell in Alaska!? LoL, one phone call and cleared up, but it wasn't "real" money like in the $1000's so ALOT less stress about getting it fixed

A lady I knew told me that she had written a check for x amount of dollars and someone added a few zeros and changed it into hundreds or thousands (?) and it got cashed for way more than was intended. She said it was a bugger to get it straightened out but finally, she got her money back

Good to clearly differentiate between dollars and cents on a check.

Well, I wish the girls on here would quit with the hair pulling. The screams and squeals make it hard to hear the conversation.

So there have been reports that Russia has tested their cyber warfare tools on Ukraine earlier, and the history of the Stuxnet virus had hints of state actors' fingerprints on it. And we can assume that Russians haven't just given up the use of any tools in their inventory. Besides Putin's verbal "You'll be sorry if you try to stop us." do you imagine that their cyber mischief folks are just sitting on their thumbs enjoying the drama until they're called on to join the fray? We haven't seen the power grid, the banking system, the trash collection disrupted (any more than normal anyway) so if we're busy really annoying the average Russian citizen by throwing sand into their wheels of commerce, what are they doing, if anything?

Still curious about anomalies in the environment.

It might be due with the frustration of being inundated by Alex Jones/Q/Proud Boys wannabees of whatever country origin proposing all sorts of stupid theories and conspiracies ENDLESSLY.

It gets to be a bit much, as if you're trying to manage a daycare filled with hyped-up toddlers who've been fed a mixture of raw sugar and methamphetamines.

Guys, not everything is a government plot to steal your precious bodily fluids. Sometimes fraud is just that - fraud. Not nefarious acts by secretive ministries or the CIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back