What's new
What's new

OT: Diameter of stereo audio connector. A .001 difference makes a difference, how?

I think you just described the entire problem in five words.
I was being nice...

Many contractors and suppliers had my photo on their dart boards.

It seems there are 2 sides at the lowest level.

The client accepts the poor stuff because they went with low bid and accept it.

The vendors pick up on this so they lower bid and provide lower than bid quality.

When you write an RFQ you can get anything you want!

Low bid is never an excuse, you write the RFQ such that the exact item you need meets the minimum requirements and also the lesser ones do not.

Vendor accepts the job for price, expect it to be correct.

The BNC connectors could have indicated that the internal parts shall not be folded materials and instead machined from solids.

They could have specified full thread engagement with no excess material extended past.

The engineer designs the product.

The marketing folks determine what it should sell for.

The next engineer modifies the materials selection as well as other changes to build to price.

Back in the day people expected things to last, and expected to be able to repair them with serviceable parts.

Now everything is "trendy"...culture is things are "dated" and needs to do refreshed...meaning things only need to last until the next popular trend comes along.

Old days land Mobil radio was component level repair due to high cost, now just boxes and wires, replace one or the other.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Ford USED TO have pretty darn good QC...... I've seen the paint test, and other procedures that they USED TO USE. The QC course we had used the Ford QC manual as the text.

It seems they are not as good as they were.

One reason is that they, and many others, have pushed the QC activity and costs out onto the suppliers. They demand (or used to) ISO registration, etc, etc, then they believe whatever is typed on the quality report.

That works for some companies, but does NOT work universally with chinese sources.

BTW, an "N" connector is a wideband capable, low SWR, connector for high frequency radio/microwave use.

Think of it as a coaxial connector that is similar to a BNC, but has a threaded attachment ferrule instead of the bayonet style attachment. It is a "full sized" connector for the more or less standard but not miniature coaxial cables, like RG-58. Most of the ones that I have seen were designed for 50 Ohm coax. I am not sure of the power handling capability, but it can't be more than a few Watts.

It is a little smaller than a UHF connector, which is also a screw-on, but it is made to a better quality standard. On the UHF connector the outer ferrule is also part of the ground or shield conductor. The type N has an internal shield connection that is similar the that used in the BNCs. This helps to maintain a constant impedance through the connection.

Note: Before I am flamed, the common BNC connectors are not always a constant impedance design. I have used tens of thousands of these BNCs. But you can get BNC connectors with either a 50 or 75 Ohm, constant impedance design. These are preferred for higher frequencies and high bit rate digital signals.

20 bucks says, not one poster in ten here, even knows what an N connector *is*!

N connector can do upto 2kw peak power.

In a multi-transmitter combiner where 10 70 watt transmitters are combined.

Granted combiner losses put the average power per unit maybe 40 watts there are possibl times where all signals are in phase for a cycle and can result in the high peak power.

Common on radios, our biggest one is 200 watts and it is fine.

About 10 or years ago DIN connectors starting being common, much better design, more power and less interaction losses.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

You've answered your own question multiple times, the issue is in the jack which is bent out of shape or coming off the board. That's why you couldn't replicate the problem on the bench two weeks ago and why you're losing the right channel now.

Back