What's new
What's new

ot Diesel Exhaust Fluid. shortage ? and trucking / shipping

When this stuff first came out, I wondered WHY are they shipping water clear across the country ?
The urea is only 36%, sell it in concentrated form, add water locally.
You would think the greenies would be all over this.

About five years ago ,the AD Blue systems became much smarter ,and impossible to fool.......so I suspect there is a secret ingredient that the system recognizes.....and to release this to the users would result in wholesale cheating of the system.........thereby enraging the Greens.......so it aint gonna happen........also with a truck the DPF unit costs something like $6000,so risk making this fail just before your yearly DOT inspection?

I think you exaggerate the influence of agriculture, and minimize the influence of diesel emissions. From this study, they are somewhat equal, which does not support your point.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mod Note:
Deleted insult
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The study only referenced a few areas in only California. The ratio of who is emitting what percentage of NO elsewhere was not stated nor studied.. Reality is estimated of 90% agricultural and 10% everything else including both industry and automotive. It did state however, the severe exposure of people living in rural and least politically represented communities. NOx exposure in big cities is primarily caused by industry and automotive, granted, but that is not the elephant in the room. However, the big cities are highly politically represented. Please consider the amount of agriculture throughout the great plains and south. There is no comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ammonia is a natural product ,and vast amounts are produced by bacterial processes,......however the greens pretend to their millenial audience that planet destroying ammonia is being caused by motor vehicles.....by the way,heat urea,and you have ammonia and CO2.

Ammonia is a natural product ,and vast amounts are produced by bacterial processes,......however the greens pretend to their millenial audience that planet destroying ammonia is being caused by motor vehicles.....by the way,heat urea,and you have ammonia and CO2.
Thank you John for that. Yes, you are correct, but dogs and goats don't piss on my $6,000 exhaust pipe.

Was that reply supposed to be funny? failed.
No sir, more of a sarcastic cultural jab. I have recently been informed that I've lost my sense of humor, unfortunately I tend to agree.

Do you guys have to run DEF in diesel powered vehicles as well?

Umm. It's the oxides of nitrogen that cause the problem not the ammonia. The catalyst in a diesel exhaust system causes the ammonia (generated by heating urea) and nitrogen oxides to react together to form nitrogen gas and water.

NOx from agriculture tends to be very spread out. NOx from vehicles tends to be very localized, especially in towns and cities. With time, distance and humidity, it ends up as nitric acid and nitrates, which are good for plants except where they are part of acid rain. In the shorter term, with sunlight, it causes the creation of ozone from oxygen in the air and of smog. Neither of which are good for anything near to ground level.

With particle filters and catalysts, Diesel engines are as clean as petrol engines. and the emmisions standards for new vehicles are essentially identical independent of fuel. This is a Good Thing.

Curious fact:- the same conditions that exist in Diesel engines (high pressure and temperature with excess oxygen) exist in power station gas turbines. oxides of nitrogen were a real problem with early designs. The workaround is to make the combustion occur in several stages rather than all at once in the combustion chambers. This way the peak temperatures are kept closer to the average that the turbine needs instead of having very hot gas that is then mixed with cooler gas.

Tons of the stuff in the auto parts store yesterday. Hell, next we'll have a shortage of blinker fluid.
I can't see how considering how many people are trying to conserve it by never using their blinkers.

Also, I'm glad that even if this were true, I am determined to keep my 2006 2500HD as long as possible so I never have to deal with that BS.

Joe Biden says DEF smells like a little girl.
giphy.gif

The local producer of emergency supply of Ad -blue will be closing down production in December ....why?......Yanks are shutting off the natural gas used to make urea......thats right ,not Putin,but Yanks..........media asked the prime minister why he would allow the shutdown,he starts babbling about soverign risk......this is code for he doesnt want to get whacked by the CIA.

Between the shop and the ranch I need a heavy pickup. Last two were (a Dodge and then a Ford) had 6.7 diesels and all of the emissions crap. The Dodge spent six months out of four years in the shop for mostly emissions system problems, the Ford never went into the shop for any problems but after doing all of the regular service on it there was no way I would want to own it after the warranty ran out. It literally looked like they had packed as many wires and hoses and gadgets under the hood as could possibly fit and then added a few extra. Bought a 2021 F350 with the 7.3 gas engine and love it. Gets just as bad fuel mileage as the diesels did, tows as good as the Dodge did (nothing tows like the Ford 6.7 diesel does) which is good enough for me. Open the hood and you can actually see the motor and there is even room to sit in there to work on it. No more worrying about DEF, clogged filters, bad diesel causing 20K in damage to the injection system, etc... Love the 7.3 gasser as long as you are towing under 25K pounds (go over that and you need a class 8 so it will stop) it is great.

I sort of like the anti-green posts when they are well written and-or amusing.
No doubt lots of "green" legislation is over the top, or often simply wrong.

The 10% eco-fuel "green diesel" is a case in point.
Absolute idiocy.
Using corn to dilute diesel for political reasons, and pay us farmers for it, is just mad.
Us farmers benefit, otherwise it´s just madness.
It is NOT green, and it does NOT benefit the environment overall.

Otoh making the auto-manufacturers more efficient is an excellent idea.
The typical performance sedan went from 10l/100 km to 4.5 l/100 km over the last 20 years.

But what is stupid is exempting most of the bus and truck emissions from this legislation - and they are the biggest polluters.
50x the emissions from a bus vs the same sedan.

And the silly EU legislation regarding lead rohs - but conveniently excluding cars and trucks who deliver and disperse more lead than everything else.

The idea and concept behind a lot of the legislation is often sound.
The practical implementation is often rotten.
"Politics is the art of the possible" -- is less true than it seems.
Where "bad" compromises would not be accepted, "better" compromises would appear.

Back