What's new
What's new

OT: Drive your John Deere From the Bucket

Hook those controls to the internet, add a camera and then you can outsource a heavy equipment operator job to China.

Honestly… as Mickey Mouse as a lot of the stuff I do is, I’m more proud to work in one of America’s last export industries. The Chinese can pirate all the dvds of the movies I make, but they’re still ultimately buying my work.

The three fast and furious franchise films I’ve worked on have all grossed over a billion dollars, in global box office. Those producers MAY have spent $4-500 million making each of those films…

Motion Pictures, Coke and McDonald’s are the one thing America has that the rest of the world still really wants.

Equally honestly… I’m a hack. I do not have the skills required to actually automate ANYTHING.

I make future trash for the most part.

I’ll get a couple of days to restore the backhoe to how it was before I started monkeying on it.

It’s a coin flip as to whether or not the studio will ask for some or all of the stuff they paid for back. They may very well expect to get every fitting, hose and valve they bought back.

Even if they don’t want the parts back I’m faced with cataloguing and storing the stuff until…

The next time I need to do this specific gag again?!?!?

Even the hoses really aren’t good to me as they stand. Almost everything hydraulic I do is SAE/JIC and these hoses are o-ring face.

Anyhow.

Be safe

Jeremy

Does it have holding valves for hose break protection on the bucket? Most construction equipment doesn’t, aside from cranes and man lifts.

Thinking practically, being cantilevered out on the end of the bucket would amplify the vertical motion of everything the front tires encounter, compared to the normal position a driver assumes setting in the normal position in between the front and rear axles.

Driving down smooth blacktop or concrete wouldn't be so bad, but one jounce of the front tire of an inch could translate to a 1 foot bounce 10 foot farther forward from the front axle, for example.

Can we start a go fund me for Jermfab to buy him a camera, so he can quit taking photos and video with a 3 month old potato?

Does it have holding valves for hose break protection on the bucket? Most construction equipment doesn’t, aside from cranes and man lifts.

We have a ball valve installed in line on the three bucket cylinders. Basically we can set the bucket position and lock it off. Ought to provide adequate protection in case of hose breakage.

Also, YES!!! this machine is TERRIFYING to drive because you do sit so far ahead of the steering axle centerline, as well as the cantilever effect is real. I nearly concussed myself driving the unit Thursday.

Be safe

Jeremy

After considerable monkeying with the shooting schedule the remote drive is taking its maiden voyage as I type this.

Here’s the rig today, camera, mic, and all the equipment to transmit sound and video strapped on:
89a992573b454c526e7ca949dddf9fea.jpg

401402b21cdfce29f62b1861a8b34161.jpg

Be safe

Jeremy

Very cool! That is probably the dream job of most of the guys on this forum! My hats off to you young man!

Additionally, you're driving what is arguably the most dangerous machine on wheels, with no safety gear - but at least you have a mask on! Hahaha... that is too funny! Outside no less! You're driving this crazy "contraption" at who knows how fast and you're afraid of catching covid?!

Very cool! That is probably the dream job of most of the guys on this forum! My hats off to you young man!

Additionally, you're driving what is arguably the most dangerous machine on wheels, with no safety gear - but at least you have a mask on! Hahaha... that is too funny! Outside no less! You're driving this crazy "contraption" at who knows how fast and you're afraid of catching covid?!

I'm going to assume it's an employer mandate...

Honestly… as Mickey Mouse as a lot of the stuff I do is, I’m more proud to work in one of America’s last export industries. The Chinese can pirate all the dvds of the movies I make, but they’re still ultimately buying my work.
Universal Studios just opened a theme park in Beijing, probably crowded as hell this weekend, big holiday and still pretty hot there. Meantime, it's raining and snotty here, shit.

The three fast and furious franchise films I’ve worked on have all grossed over a billion dollars, in global box office. Those producers MAY have spent $4-500 million making each of those films…
Personally, I prefer a movie with a plot and some characters, but yeah, car crashes are popular worldwide. Those movies are safe because the censors won't allow them to be made in China (but it's okay to show them ? strange), but anything with people, plot, story, Hollywood better not get too big for its britches.

btw, dvd pirating is sort of over, people do streaming now so most of the dvd stores have closed. Sad, they had a lot of good stuff you can't find anywhere else :(

Back