What's new
What's new

OT: Fake Loctite 638?

karl

Cast Iron
I was running low on 638 so I went to ebay to see what I could find. Found a lot of listings with outdated or soon to be outdated and one that seemed like a winner. Received a 50ml bottle that was covered with Chinese writing Googled it and found lots of mentions of knock off products. Have any of you had simular results? Have you used the product with good results? Thanks for your time.
Karl

Date code is on everything these days Even on salt I have loctite about 10 years old It still works for me Perhaps not as strong like new but I can live with that
Peter
That might be fine for your own usage, but professionals making a product
think otherwise. I've been in factories that receive it in, apply their own date sticker, track it, refrigerate it, and organize the shelving for FIFO.

Why your table salt has a date code on it is irrelevant.

I was running low on 638 so I went to ebay to see what I could find. Found a lot of listings with outdated or soon to be outdated and one that seemed like a winner. Received a 50ml bottle that was covered with Chinese writing Googled it and found lots of mentions of knock off products. Have any of you had simular results? Have you used the product with good results? Thanks for your time.
Karl
"Loctite was confirmed to be counterfeit by Henkel. The photograph above shows the counterfeit Loctite. The quality of the packaging and label is an almost exact copy, it's only the mislabelling that causes suspicion."

I’m not advocating it but according to either the US army or Air Force antibiotics were tested out of date by years! They still performed as they should provided they had been stored correctly, however if the application is critical then I’d go by the manufacturer info, shops are getting rid of best before and use by on loads of stuff over here.
I have to say a best before on a tub of salt that’s 65 million years old is a bit stupid but on some drugs and medications it’s vital they are good,
I think they have their place and wholeheartedly agree with writing purchase dates on stuff and refrigerate super glue
Mark

I saw a tiktok of someone showing the differences between fake loctite and real loctite bottles. I thought that was an odd and weird thing to counterfeit and must not be a big thing but I guess it is. Regardless, I always just buy loctite from hardware stores. The price of it is outrageous though

I’m not advocating it but according to either the US army or Air Force antibiotics were tested out of date by years! They still performed as they should provided they had been stored correctly, however if the application is critical then I’d go by the manufacturer info, shops are getting rid of best before and use by on loads of stuff over here.
<snip>
Mark

Huh, never tired antibiotics for holding parts together but I'll try that soon if I can get a prescription. Maybe I could even use the kind they give horses, who ought to be plenty strong enough.

Thanks, spellcheck for a small chuckle this morning.

If China did not get subsided shipping they could not afford to send us phony stuff and make a profit. We are really saving to get something for half-price, just to throw it n the dumpster.

For example, to send the bottle of fake Loctite to China it would be 15 days and $46.

likely we will give money away till we are belly up. and then blame China.

Last edited:
I've bought loctite meant for the Indian market and it worked fine. It seemed legit.

I have used genuine loctite 545 on some pneumatic fittings and had to completely redo all of it because the loctite was over 2 years old and apparently it doesn't last that long. Doing the same thing with a fresh identical bottle worked perfectly.

i have been buying 638 off ebay for years at a fraction of the local price. it always worked well, very strong, i check from time to time.

imo there is no need to make a fuss about this. these glues holding power depends on so many variables that you will never get a precisely defined value.

Back