What's new
What's new

OT--flu shots, get them this year

Ooh ! Educated people are getting shots ? Hang on while I put my sheep suit on ..

hey there little red riding hood
you sure are lookin good !
you're everything a big bad wolf could want !
owoooo !

I mean baa. Baaaaa.
:)

I've only just returned to this thread. I'm really shocked to read of the passing of Sea Farmer. My condolences to his family.

My best pal texted me today to tell me he was down with the flu. We were planning to go out tonight for a beer. Quite a few people I know have had the version were it gets on your chest and stays there for weeks.

Regards Tyrone.

I am also shocked at the passing of Sea Farmer. My thoughts are with his family....

I had my flu shot a week or so before Christmas, and then came down with the flu 4 days later. It takes around 2 weeks for the flu shot to reach it's full potential. It hit me like a freight train with unreal muscle pain, fever, headache, and loose bowels. I couldn't stand my skin being touched at all.... by anything, so it meant a sleepless 4 nights and weak as a kitten. I stayed in bed the whole time.

I consider myself lucky, or the flu shot was helping, somewhat, that after 4 days, my fever finally broke through the night. I rarely ever sweat much, but I was completely drenched, along with the sheets, when I awoke during the night. It took the rest of the day to start feeling better, but I am thankful that I didn't end up with a lung infection along with it. With my asthma, it can get real serious.

I personally believe, that anyone with underlying conditions like asthma, and other lung diseases, and diabetes, should get the flu shot.

Rest in Peace, Sea Farmer.....

I am also shocked at the passing of Sea Farmer. My thoughts are with his family....

I had my flu shot a week or so before Christmas, and then came down with the flu 4 days later. It takes around 2 weeks for the flu shot to reach it's full potential. It hit me like a freight train with unreal muscle pain, fever, headache, and loose bowels. I couldn't stand my skin being touched at all.... by anything, so it meant a sleepless 4 nights and weak as a kitten. I stayed in bed the whole time.

I consider myself lucky, or the flu shot was helping, somewhat, that after 4 days, my fever finally broke through the night. I rarely ever sweat much, but I was completely drenched, along with the sheets, when I awoke during the night. It took the rest of the day to start feeling better, but I am thankful that I didn't end up with a lung infection along with it. With my asthma, it can get real serious.

I personally believe, that anyone with underlying conditions like asthma, and other lung diseases, and diabetes, should get the flu shot.

Rest in Peace, Sea Farmer.....

I believe that not only does it take a couple weeks for the shot to be effective but also during the first few days after getting one your immune system is slightly compromised and makes you more vulnerable. IMO if you value flu shots the worst possible time to get one is when flu season is in full swing and the time to get one should be weeks earlier.

In the case of your sweating out the flu that exactly matches something else my friend said, that the virus is temperature sensitive and fever helps defeat it. It is important to avoid dangerous temperature spikes but monitoring and sponging down with water if necessary can help. Over the counter meds should be taken sparingly because excess amounts can create a toxic situation in which the follow-up bacteria thrives. There's some pretty strong evidence that many of the deaths in 1918 were due to aspirin toxicity due to extreme overuse and many other compounds also have this effect when used in excess.

I believe that not only does it take a couple weeks for the shot to be effective but also during the first few days after getting one your immune system is slightly compromised and makes you more vulnerable. IMO if you value flu shots the worst possible time to get one is when flu season is in full swing and the time to get one should be weeks earlier.

In the case of your sweating out the flu that exactly matches something else my friend said, that the virus is temperature sensitive and fever helps defeat it. It is important to avoid dangerous temperature spikes but monitoring and sponging down with water if necessary can help. Over the counter meds should be taken sparingly because excess amounts can create a toxic situation in which the follow-up bacteria thrives. There's some pretty strong evidence that many of the deaths in 1918 were due to aspirin toxicity due to extreme overuse and many other compounds also have this effect when used in excess.

can you provide any basis from a bona fide source to back up those opinions?

Denis

Last edited:

Back