What's new
What's new

OT. For Emgo: Military surplus stuff sold in China

Bill D

Diamond
Off Topic, Do they sell military surplus stuff in China like they do in the US? You now old tents, knives ammo cans, etc. Rumor is china has had a big army for decades so there must be a lot of old gear in warehouses kicking around. I see Horrible Fright selling fake plastic ammo cans that are too flimsy for real use.
I have seen a little Swedish, Poland, German stuff being sold by modern USA surplus dealers. My dad had old surplus catalogs from 1950's that had lots of jeep parts and also aircraft generators to make welders.
Modern surplus stores here seem to sell a lot of knock off forgein made gear. Designed to look like the real USA made stuff. As a kid I remember seeing tons of ww2 and korean war stuff for sale. I did buy some desert chocolate bars made by Hershy. They tasted okay and did not melt here in summer.
He had an old catalog from Lincoln surplus which is now Surplus Center and sells factory over runs.
Bill D

Last edited:
Off Topic, Do they sell military surplus stuff in China like they do in the US? You now old tents, knives ammo cans, etc. Rumor is china has had a big army for decades so there must be a lot of old gear in warehouses kicking around. I see Horrible Fright selling fake plastic ammo cans that are too flimsy for real use.
I have seen a little Swedish, Poland, German stuff being sold by modern USA surplus dealers. My dad had old surplus catalogs from 1950's that had lots of jeep parts and also aircraft generators to make welders.
Modern surplus stores here seem to sell a lot of knock off forgein made gear. Designed to look like the real USA made stuff. As a kid I remember seeing tons of ww2 and korean war stuff for sale. I did buy some desert chocolate bars made by Hershy. They tasted okay and did not melt here in summer.
He had an old catalog from Lincoln surplus which is now Surplus Center and sells factory over runs.
Bill D
That is an excellent question. I am now and have been involved in military surplus world-wide. Military surplus is generated by the cost of maintaining a war ready supply necessary to service a military campaign. This is different than an industrial logistic operation, this is even more true with the advent of the more modern "Just in Time Supply" theme common in industry today.. However, to manage costs two things are necessary, the supply must be fresh and serviceable and the real cost is in storage not acquisition. Storage is terminated when item demand drops below an algorithm driven level. Then disposal takes place. First is other government agencies, then Foreign Military Sales, then commercial sales and then lastly scrap. That said, I have only seen military surplus sales from first world militaries, including Russia, but never North Korea nor Communist China.

Back in the day ,there was surplus from China ....SKS carbines,WW2 guns like the Hanyang and Type 1924 .....,broomhandle Mauser pistols ,bayonets etc,lots of the steelcase AK ammo .............they used to sell lots of uniforms and stuff....but it was low quality new made for thr surplus shops to import..............they used to export a fair to middlin copy of the US M14 and 1911 pistol ,but I think US imports of guns from China was stopped about 25 years ago.

Last edited:
jjjjjjj
Back in the day ,there was surplus from China ....SKS carbines,WW2 guns like the Hanyang and Type 1924 .....,broomhandle Mauser pistols ,bayonets etc,lots of the steelcase AK ammo .............they used to sell lots of uniforms and stuff....but it was low quality new made for thr surplus shops to import..............they used to export a fair to middlin copy of the US M14 and 1911 pistol ,but I think US imports of guns from China was stopped about 25 years ago.
That's true John, but that is not Chinese military surplus

I saw some show where they compared the US MRE's vs what other army's have. The French had the best ones, no surpise.
I bet China has warehouses stacked to the rafters with official military chopsticks for when they have to call up the army. Since China invented "China" do the soldiers get real china plates or eat off tin mess trays.
BilL D

used chopstick recycling

Just for the record, HF also has steel ammo cans with o-rings that go on sale for about $14 pretty regularly. I'm slowly swapping all my plastic cans over to them.

The Australian Army was buying Chinese made underwear .......it was claimed that the Chinese Secret Service was putting itching powder in the ball pockets of the underpants ..true!!!

Chinese 7.62x39 stinky copper washed steel cased ammo in those two-to-a-crate galvanized spam cans at six-cents a round and Norinko $80 SKS rifles--sure don't seem like around 35 years ago. Yeah, please Masters Of Suplus please can we travel back in time. Pretty please?

No doubt most any obsolete usable surplus has been long provided to some needy country and/or sold off in the U.S. market long ago. For the most part.

The Oz army ration packs included a small tin of Vegemite ,a salty black substance that could be spread thinly on the hard tack biscuits or made into a sort of black soup ..............a more exciting use for the tiny cans was to throw them in the campfire and wait for the explosion of the contents.

My father used bomb fuse cans as traps to catch mice, in the tents he lived in N. Africa. Simple.. tie a streing near the open end and place baited can over edge of table with open end on table. Mouse goes in, can tips over and hangs from string. Put lid on can and drop the entire thing off over the desert far far away.
Bill D

People who live in the USA and who were born before 1960 have a very unusual expectation in terms of military surplus.
We had two huge bumps in military surplus here- first, after the Civil War, which was the result of gigantic increases in military equipment manufacturing.
That resulted in Bannerman inventing the idea of the Surplus Store.
But supply petered out in the 20s, as there was not a big production surge for WW1.

Then, WW2.
WW2 probably had the largest amount of private industry graft, fraud, and overproduction in the history of the world- As early as 1942, then Senator Truman made his bones investigating fraud and corruption, and found $10 to $15 Billion (in 1940s dollars) in outright fraud.

The war was huge, 10 million served, thats a lotta BVDs. And it actually ended faster than they thought it would- Japan surrendered.
Leaving the Feds with untold warehouses full of stuff.
They abandoned literally millions of tons of arms, equipment and supplies outright in the Pacific and Europe, spawning more fortunes in surplus store owners, and so much crap it lasted for 15 or 20 years. There were still auctions in the early 60s with WW2 surplus.

But it didnt last forever, and since the 60s, we have had much smaller amounts of soldiers, more high tech stuff that gets rebuilt (1950s B52 bombers expected to still be in service til the 2050s) and much tighter govt controls on contracts. Plus, now the govt sells direct online.

So the classic military surplus store of my youth (I used to hang out at Interarms in Alexandria as a kid- he supposedly had enough in stock there to equip 40 divisions) is long gone. Its all made in china camping gear and fake military camo fleece hoodies now.

One of the very sad stories of a world class surplus store turning into a "Walmart" type store is the saga of Smith and Edwards in Ogden. I visited there when they had tanks, and military railroad cars for sale, and still had acres of dirt cheap WW2 odds and ends. He bought 13,400 surplus navy steel spherical buoys, and the Govt gave him 12 years to haul them all away in the early 60s. Nowadays, its use the approved rigger and get em out by next week. And, believe me, he paid WAAY below scrap for all that stuff.

But now, the grandkids and even great grandkids run it, and they sell sporting goods, western wear, lingerie, guns, and are an ACE hardware store.

There just isnt miltary surplus anymore, globally. So many wars, that they no longer give rifles away for peanuts. Lee Harvey Oswald bought the Mannlicher he shot Kennedy with for 19 dollars by mail from Kleins in Chicago. Nowadays, the many global militias and militaries pay more than US retail, often, for surplus AKs.

The chinese, no doubt, manufacture brand new "genuine" military surplus clothing for export to the local Army Navy Store in the US.

Last edited:
People who live in the USA and who were born before 1960 have a very unusual expectation in terms of military surplus.
We had two huge bumps in military surplus here- first, after the Civil War, which was the result of gigantic increases in military equipment manufacturing.
That resulted in Bannerman inventing the idea of the Surplus Store.
But supply petered out in the 20s, as there was not a big production surge for WW1.

Then, WW2.
WW2 probably had the largest amount of private industry graft, fraud, and overproduction in the history of the world- As early as 1942, then Senator Truman made his bones investigating fraud and corruption, and found $10 to $15 Billion (in 1940s dollars) in outright fraud.

The war was huge, 10 million served, thats a lotta BVDs. And it actually ended faster than they thought it would- Japan surrendered.
Leaving the Feds with untold warehouses full of stuff.
They abandoned literally millions of tons of arms, equipment and supplies outright in the Pacific and Europe, spawning more fortunes in surplus store owners, and so much crap it lasted for 15 or 20 years. There were still auctions in the early 60s with WW2 surplus.

But it didnt last forever, and since the 60s, we have had much smaller amounts of soldiers, more high tech stuff that gets rebuilt (1950s B52 bombers expected to still be in service til the 2050s) and much tighter govt controls on contracts. Plus, now the govt sells direct online.

So the classic military surplus store of my youth (I used to hang out at Interarms in Alexandria as a kid- he supposedly had enough in stock there to equip 40 divisions) is long gone. Its all made in china camping gear and fake military camo fleece hoodies now.

One of the very sad stories of a world class surplus store turning into a "Walmart" type store is the saga of Smith and Edwards in Ogden. I visited there when they had tanks, and military railroad cars for sale, and still had acres of dirt cheap WW2 odds and ends. He bought 13,400 surplus navy steel spherical buoys, and the Govt gave him 12 years to haul them all away in the early 60s. Nowadays, its use the approved rigger and get em out by next week. And, believe me, he paid WAAY below scrap for all that stuff.

But now, the grandkids and even great grandkids run it, and they sell sporting goods, western wear, lingerie, guns, and are an ACE hardware store.

There just isnt miltary surplus anymore, globally. So many wars, that they no longer give rifles away for peanuts. Lee Harvey Oswald bought the Mannlicher he shot Kennedy with for 19 dollars by mail from Kleins in Chicago. Nowadays, the many global militias and militaries pay more than US retail, often, for surplus AKs.

The chinese, no doubt, manufacture brand new "genuine" military surplus clothing for export to the local Army Navy Store in the US.

What an awesome post. That Truman committee was an awesome rabbit hole to go down.

There was still a lot of WW2 surplus tooling in the Detroit area in the '90's. Places like J & L Tool Supply got their start selling surplus tooling.

Do the devout get upset when their martyred daughter dies and they see AI videos of her in heaven enjoying her 17 virgins? Maybe sell X rated videos as recruiting tools for female converts. Seems like a logical thing for their version of sunday school.
BilL D

We have all seen pictures of the Cheap Chinese tires russia bought for their military trucks. These were the cheapest they could find while they pocketed the difference. Not really designed or sold for off road use.
Bill D

Back