What's new
What's new

OT. For Emgo: Military surplus stuff sold in China

We have all seen pictures of the Cheap Chinese tires russia bought for their military trucks. These were the cheapest they could find while they pocketed the difference. Not really designed or sold for off road use.
Bill D
Lesson #1...Always pay extra for road hazard coverage.

Acts of god and acts of war are exempted by insurance. That incl;udes life insurance.
What a scam. this super dupper tank is guaranteed to not break down or let the crew be injured. Except if people shoot at it or it hits a mine, IED etc. then the warranty is void.
BilL D

There used to be a ton of cheap Russian surplus military equipment for sale online including ammo. However it turns out much of that stuff wasn't actually surplus just getting stolen and resold due to internal corruption.

Now all of that stuff is in heavy use and I doubt the Russians have any extra to spare.

On top of that I think Russia's biggest exports right after oil and gas used to be weaponry in military equipment. I'm guessing most of that stuff is probably being consumed internally right now. Thus I would assume that any surplus Chinese, North Korean, Iranian or other military surplus hardware that might exist right now on the market is probably being either used or sold somewhere to make up the vacuum left by all the stuff Russia is not providing the world with.

It's not just going to the big conflicts that make the news, such as Russia for use in Ukraine, Iran's proxies (Hamas, Hezbollah or the Huthis) but there's quite a few other conflicts either right on the horizon, or under the radar. For all the attention a couple Palestinians civilians get when caught in the crossfire in Gaza most people wouldn't have any idea that maybe 600k just were killed in was in Ethiopia! When I was over there it seemed like most of their stuff weapons were probably either Russian or Chinese.

The world is a mess right now so if you are an arms dealer who's not asking questions about how your weapons are used business is booming right now, I doubt much is going to get sold at discount prices in surplus stores.

On the other hand check out AliExpress if you want close to surplus prices. I needed a switch for my milling machine. It was $40 or more through most domestic supply chains here in the US even though all the parts were made in China. Aliexpress shipped the damn thing to my house for $2.25! So I guess maybe the Chinese prices are so cheap they don't even need surplus stores.

An absolute crapload of Soviet machine tools made their way to New Zealand during the Cold War. Any old manual machine shop had at least one Soviet lathe or mill. Was a funny contrast where you had US, British, and Soviet machine tools in shops. Also other European brands from Germany and other countries.

The flow of cheap Russian exports ended rather suddenly in 1989,when the USSR ceased to exist ......and so did the massive subsidies making the machine tools cheap .

There used to be a ton of cheap Russian surplus military equipment for sale online including ammo. However it turns out much of that stuff wasn't actually surplus just getting stolen and resold due to internal corruption.

I had a chance to buy Russian display models of Russian Naval vessels. Late 80's I think

Immaculate models, they wanted around $1k each, they would be worth a fortune now. Stolen of course.

The Oz army ration packs included a small tin of Vegemite ,a salty black substance that could be spread thinly on the hard tack biscuits or made into a sort of black soup

I always heard the vegemite was to dip bullets in, or to throw at the enemy as a weapon of terror. At least until the Geneva convention banned the practice.

Back