What's new
What's new

OT for sprinkies: Glass vs mechanical fire sprinkler heads?

Just a Sparky

Hot Rolled
Just a bit of curiosity for anyone in the know.

I've always wondered what the rationale is when choosing between glass bulb type and mechanical type (fuse link, solder pellet, etc.) fire sprinkler heads to protect a space. What sorts of characteristics do each have that makes one type more attractive than the other for certain installations and allows the two technologies to co-exist without one rendering the other obsolete?

Most interior spaces seem to be fitted with bulb type heads, while outdoor and unfinished spaces usually have mechanical heads. Is the difference purely in cosmetics vs cost? Are there different performance factors to consider? Durability?

Thanks.

thermite

Diamond
Just a bit of curiosity for anyone in the know.

I've always wondered what the rationale is when choosing between glass bulb type and mechanical type (fuse link, solder pellet, etc.) fire sprinkler heads to protect a space. What sorts of characteristics do each have that makes one type more attractive than the other for certain installations and allows the two technologies to co-exist without one rendering the other obsolete?

Most interior spaces seem to be fitted with bulb type heads, while outdoor and unfinished spaces usually have mechanical heads. Is the difference purely in cosmetics vs cost? Are there different performance factors to consider? Durability?

Thanks.

What are the Differences Between Fusible Link vs Glass Bulb Sprinkler Heads? | Kinetix Fire

Even mighty and all-knowing "PM" still benefits from Google.

Go figure it was ever that hard to NOT be 'all things, to all men".

Vecair

Aluminum
I use the glass bulb type in custom homes, they are smaller overall, collect less dust and dirt, cheaper and much more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Other than that there is no real difference.