What's new
What's new

OT: GM driving procedure for get sensors on the vehicle to be recognized after the computer is reset?

rons

Diamond
They have a published paper that explains how to drive in order to get sensors; oxygen ,cat conv, etc to be recognized.
Such as:
Warm up vehicle to 10 minutes.
Drive 50 mph for 5 min.
Drive 40 mph for 10 min.

It is a length piece of work with a lot of steps. And it takes something like an hour to perform all the steps.
Otherwise normal driving can take more than 500 miles for the computer to start monitoring correctly.
Sometimes it takes longer. So I'm not sure if the documented procedure shortens the distance.
Have you heard of this before? I would think there is something to it because it is a published paper.

Last edited:
Just drive the car normally for a few days and that should do it. I had a similar issue when I got my little Honda Prelude back on the road after 11 years sitting. I put a battery in it and took it to get emissions tested and they "noped" me because the car hadn't been driven enough to reset all that stuff and get a record of it in the computer. Had to come back a few days later.

As far as I'm aware, it just needs to have so many minutes at various engine speeds and loads. The procedure just probably gets you there quickly. Mine didn't take anywhere near 500 miles.

You can buy an obd widget cheap
There is also a cold start or restart in there somewhere
For me a round trip visit to the Home Despot is about what it takes.

My corolla forgot its settings after doing the starter on it (battery disconnected for a day or so) and there's a sequence of key on/offs that reset the ECM beyond limp-home. Youtube it for your car, there may be a similar setup.

I talked to a Chevrolet salesman today about the lack of 8 foot bed pickup trucks on their lot.
He said that they are not produced much except for special orders. Everything out their was all decked out with options
on short beds. My analogy to this is the shortage of cheap housing. Why? Because the profit margin is greater if they build
the most house they can. So where do contractors find a truck with a long bed?

Just drive the car normally for a few days and that should do it. I had a similar issue when I got my little Honda Prelude back on the road after 11 years sitting. I put a battery in it and took it to get emissions tested and they "noped" me because the car hadn't been driven enough to reset all that stuff and get a record of it in the computer. Had to come back a few days later.

As far as I'm aware, it just needs to have so many minutes at various engine speeds and loads. The procedure just probably gets you there quickly. Mine didn't take anywhere near 500 miles.
You wouldn't believe what I'm seeing...

I just went through this on my Mazda...what a slop-mess. Read the above posts and you'll see that there is NO actual procedure. The automakers each, apparently, have their own criteria and none of them publish what it is.

The issue is that when the vehicle throws a code, you can clear it with a scan tool. But if it throws the code again and again, it becomes a permanent code that cannot be cleared by you....only the PCM will clear itself once it detects the problem has been fixed. As above, that cycle is undefined. So.....you need to fix the issue (or hope you fixed it) then drive around until the PCM God has decided it's happy once again. Naturally, this makes repairs more difficult to execute and longer to confirm they've been fixed. Gosh, I guess it's just easier to have a technician handle it all and send your husband a $4000 repair bill....

They have a published paper that explains how to drive in order to get sensors; oxygen ,cat conv, etc to be recognized.
Such as:
Warm up vehicle to 10 minutes.
Drive 50 mph for 5 min.
Drive 40 mph for 10 min.

It is a length piece of work with a lot of steps. And it takes something like an hour to perform all the steps.
Otherwise normal driving can take more than 500 miles for the computer to start monitoring correctly.
Sometimes it takes longer. So I'm not sure if the documented procedure shortens the distance.
Have you heard of this before? I would think there is something to it because it is a published paper.
What exactly are you trying to do? Make all the monitors pass to pass emissions?
there are specs, but all depends what the sensors are actually saying, and there are min requirements that need to be met for particular tests needed.
some are driving, other Evap codes need the car to sit to test it. IE Large and small evap leak detection.
O2 just needs to be from open loop to closed loop and can see that with a pro scan tool, coolant temp needs to be over a min, MAF needs to be correct etc.

I just went through this on my Mazda...what a slop-mess. Read the above posts and you'll see that there is NO actual procedure. The automakers each, apparently, have their own criteria and none of them publish what it is.

The issue is that when the vehicle throws a code, you can clear it with a scan tool. But if it throws the code again and again, it becomes a permanent code that cannot be cleared by you....only the PCM will clear itself once it detects the problem has been fixed. As above, that cycle is undefined. So.....you need to fix the issue (or hope you fixed it) then drive around until the PCM God has decided it's happy once again. Naturally, this makes repairs more difficult to execute and longer to confirm they've been fixed. Gosh, I guess it's just easier to have a technician handle it all and send your husband a $4000 repair bill....
they do publish code set criteria, just you need to find the subscription and pay for it. some can be $200 a month just to access.
there are key cycles and drive cycles that are ususally clearly published that you can pay for and find.

The advisor printed their three page procedure that they call a drive cycle to activate monitors.

What exactly are you trying to do? Make all the monitors pass to pass emissions?
there are specs, but all depends what the sensors are actually saying, and there are min requirements that need to be met for particular tests needed.
some are driving, other Evap codes need the car to sit to test it. IE Large and small evap leak detection.
O2 just needs to be from open loop to closed loop and can see that with a pro scan tool, coolant temp needs to be over a min, MAF needs to be correct etc.
When monitors are not ready, they are not ready.

We had this happen on a Nissan once. Couldn't get the car smogged / registered (California) because the sensors wouldn't reset. We went through the drive procedure a couple dozen times, no luck. Dealer didn't know what was going on but politely offered to replace the ECU for a few thousand bucks (more than the car was worth).

Ended up shipping to car to a relative in another state.

The premise that you should have to pay to find out how to get the car they designed to behave is appalling. We can justify that under all sorts of reasons but it doesn't change the bottom line - they have laid out yet another way to pick your pockets. Don't forget, they have zero cost in telling you their procedure. Zero.

The term 'gaslighting' has come into vogue as of late, and is used incorrectly in most cases by people who are trying their damndest to sound smart. But, gaslighting is exactly what automakers (and many other businsses) have adopted as a way of operation. They slowly make changes over time, knowing the public won't notice or care when it's done in small increments. 50 years ago only a few idiots would buy a car knowing they can't fix it...nowadays, people just accept that.

The advisor printed their three page procedure that they call a drive cycle to activate monitors.
but you had the advisor tell you this and not an actual mechanic that looked at it first hopefully? there are sensors that will prevent drive cycles from not happening if not in specs. IE like coolant temp and others.
what exactly is it that hasn't ran might help here.... IE catalyst monitor etc

Back