What's new
What's new

OT GM type 2 steering pump specs

Type 2 pumps are also called TC or transverse compact. Think they were mostly meant for transverse mounted engines. Nearly all are "standard" rotation I.E. clockwise when viewed from the pulley side. There were a couple of limited varieties that were reverse rotation but they're few, far between and more spendy than the standards.
They are/were available stock in either plastic clip on reservoir design or with an installed tube for a remote reservoir hose. Never saw one with a two port return reservoir but they may be out there.
If you're handy make your own.
Orifice fitting (outlet) fittings are typically 90° counterclockwise from the feed port when viewed from the shaft end. They are available 90 clockwise but in fewer applications.
Housings were made of either aluminum or steel.
The rotating group was offered with 3 different cam rings. A 40 series, 60 series or an 88 series. The 88 having the largest eccentric or highest flow capabilities.
Any of the mounting bosses can be drilled out for through bolt mounting. The face mount or rear mount threaded bosses are plenty big enough to open up to allow a 5/16" bolt.
As originally designed with stock parts you can get a little higher pressure from the aluminum housed variety. About 1450 or 1500 pounds is all you'll want to push them to if you ever test one on a stand and listen to it run at pressure.

If you are going to pair it with a hydroboost find the specs for your hydro unit and match the pump flow and pressure specs to it. You'll avoid many headaches.

Will it work on my Farmall H?
I think it is a common gm steering power column that is often adapted. Not sure if there is a computer on board or not. No outside computer controls involved. Just locate the power unit so it does not bump your knees.
Bill D.

super a farmall picture
Bill D

Attachments

• farmall.jpeg
    farmall.jpeg
    16.9 KB · Views: 10
  • farm 2.jpeg
    farm 2.jpeg
    15.8 KB · Views: 10
It is done in one of two ways. Simple cut the steering column and couple the two haves back together with a electric force multiplier unit. Or add a power rack and pinion down in suspension and control that with the steering wheel inputs.
BilL D

Type 2 pumps are also called TC or transverse compact. Think they were mostly meant for transverse mounted engines. Nearly all are "standard" rotation I.E. clockwise when viewed from the pulley side. There were a couple of limited varieties that were reverse rotation but they're few, far between and more spendy than the standards.
They are/were available stock in either plastic clip on reservoir design or with an installed tube for a remote reservoir hose. Never saw one with a two port return reservoir but they may be out there.
If you're handy make your own.
Orifice fitting (outlet) fittings are typically 90° counterclockwise from the feed port when viewed from the shaft end. They are available 90 clockwise but in fewer applications.
Housings were made of either aluminum or steel.
The rotating group was offered with 3 different cam rings. A 40 series, 60 series or an 88 series. The 88 having the largest eccentric or highest flow capabilities.
Any of the mounting bosses can be drilled out for through bolt mounting. The face mount or rear mount threaded bosses are plenty big enough to open up to allow a 5/16" bolt.
As originally designed with stock parts you can get a little higher pressure from the aluminum housed variety. About 1450 or 1500 pounds is all you'll want to push them to if you ever test one on a stand and listen to it run at pressure.

If you are going to pair it with a hydroboost find the specs for your hydro unit and match the pump flow and pressure specs to it. You'll avoid many headaches.

Thank you for contributing some good stuff!

Do Electric cars and trucks use electric power steering rather then belt drive hydraulic. Do they use vacuum to control vent system motors or is it all electric motors and solenoids now. The old diesel cars had a vacuum pump for climate control systems.
Bill D

Do Electric cars and trucks use electric power steering rather then belt drive hydraulic. Do they use vacuum to control vent system motors or is it all electric motors and solenoids now. The old diesel cars had a vacuum pump for climate control systems.
Bill D

Tesla uses servo systems for brakes and steering. Climate control is a heat pump and there aren't any mixing doors or vents. There's servo controlled louvers behind the dash just like a head unit for a mini split in your house uses.

Electronic steering and brakes and climate control can work well.

That has nothing to do with what I do. A lot of my products are automotive and are used in demanding applications where reliability and repairability are paramount.

My customers often use thier vehicles to cross continents. Electronic steering might not work that great fording through a river or when the entire purpose of a vehicle build is to be 100% operational after a nuclear attack.

I've had customers call me from remote places to tell me they just got back to civilization with the body of thier rig destroyed, all the doors ratchet strapped shut, all glass broken out after a road gave way, they rolled 7 times down a ravine landing upside down in a stream. They were able to right it with the winch, all fluids were good and nothing in the powertrain (that I designed, built and installed) seemed to care in the least. They fired it back up, drove out, and were thrilled beyond measure.

These are the kinds of things I do and why I am not interested in electronic steering controls.

Back