What's new
What's new

OT:Holiday Gift Giving

dgfoster

Diamond
This is the time of year that many of us make gifts for friends and family. I thought it might be fun to post things we’ve done.

Ill start with a simple little tool I use often in my shop for marking out lines that need to be transferred from one surface to an adjoiing one that is 90 degrees from the first. I suppose it is a common tool, but it is one I made a year or two ago as I really needed it at the time. Ever since I’ve used it once or twice a week and really have appreciated it. All surfaces are “very” square to each other. I’ll send a Starrett 70B scriber along with it.

Mini square.jpg

My grandson, son and friend are this year’s “lucky” recipients.

Denis

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 40
  • C4F82BB3-0859-4D4B-845D-F926C46D3F1D.jpg
    C4F82BB3-0859-4D4B-845D-F926C46D3F1D.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 79
This is a simple layout tool for finding the center of a pre-drilled hole and locating it on a another piece to be drilled. Nothing critical about it. Only takes a few minutes to make and might make a nice gift.

punch.jpg

This is a simple layout tool for finding the center of a pre-drilled hole and locating it on a another piece to be drilled. Nothing critical about it. Only takes a few minutes to make and might make a nice gift.

View attachment 337130

Nice idea. Quick and easy. And for larger holes in thin materials, facing off the cone would allow. It to center in those circumstances. I can see a set of three consisting of a sharp cone and a couple of truncated cones to give to myself coming soon. Needing to roughly spot existing holes comes up often enough that such a tool could find some use. No stick and ashes for you.

Denis

Not much of an effort but made 3 of these for dis-assembling hydraulic cylinders used on large injection molds. Two were for co-workers, this one is mine. Low carbon steel is all we had.002.jpg

Back