What's new
What's new

OT: How to remove rust from cast iron BBQ burners.

Chris Attebery

Cast Iron
Hey guys,

I have a question for you. I have this nice Charbroil Professional series grill. However, about every other year one of the CI burners gets so rusted up that I wind up with about 50% of the burner working. The grill is under waranty, but sooner or later they're going to quit sending me free replacements.

Is there something I can soak the burners in to remove the rust inside them?

Any input would be appreciated,

Chris Attebery

Hey guys,

I have a question for you. I have this nice Charbroil Professional series grill. However, about every other year one of the CI burners gets so rusted up that I wind up with about 50% of the burner working. The grill is under waranty, but sooner or later they're going to quit sending me free replacements.

Is there something I can soak the burners in to remove the rust inside them?

Any input would be appreciated,

Chris Attebery

http://www.evaporust.com/

I use it to get surface rust off of collets and motorcycle parts befor painting. It's a bit slow but it does work. Not quite the miracle the website makes it out to be but it does a pretty good job under most conditions.

I have had good results with Boeshield rust remover. Bought it at Sears. It was developed by Boeing. It works quite well on the surface rust I tried it on. Works fast, just spray it on and wait 30 sec , though I rubbed it off only 5 secs after spraying it and it still worked pretty well.

electrolytic rust removal, easy, safe and it works.

You need water, a plastic tub baking soda and a battery charger a a hunk of steel. Positive to the steel, negative to the work and let it rip for a few days. Its come up a bunch of time on the HSM bbs site, do a search there , lots of detailed info

Chris,
If You are planning to use ( cook on it ) Your BBQ, DO NOT USE ANY of the rust removal miracle chemicals suggested. They will penetrate the pores in the cast iron and will be in your food !!!!
Mcgyver suggestion is probably the best because baking soda will only act as a media for the oxide removal, but it will rust right back
Personally, I would only burn it off with a hot fire and scrub it clean with a good wire brush, then coat it with lard or olive oil. It will be ready to cook on it, anytime You are!!
If is in very bad shape, You might consider sandblasting it before the above.

( You can still find lard in Hispanic grocery stores )

FWIW, you can skip over to my site below and see how I did it on a huge vice using electrolysis. I The process is awesome and I think you'll be pleased ;)

Cheers!

edit: I HAD a signature with info in it.... what happened to it???

www.metalmelter.com

Last edited:
rust removal

Hi all: Metalmelter and anyone else who knows: You mentioned a plastic tub plus past posts; How about if I wanted to do a door from my older ford truck? Any specific hints re voltage or amount of baking soda? Do I remove the rubber, plastic or what evers? What about the soda used around pools? Is one better? In advance, I appreciate any of the answers. Thanks, Wayne.

Thanks for the input guys.

I can't just heat them up and scrub them off with a brush. The problem area is inside the burner. Looking from the top down they are oval shaped. There must be a vane or divider that runs along inside to help distribute the gas to the far end of the burner. What happens is that the first inch or so and the last 3 inches work fine, but the middle section gets plugged up and won't light anymore. I think the electrolytic method may be the best solution. I'm going to see if I can get them to send me another set, if not I'll give it a shot.

Chris

Chris,
If You are planning to use ( cook on it ) Your BBQ, DO NOT USE ANY of the rust removal miracle chemicals suggested. They will penetrate the pores in the cast iron and will be in your food !!!!
Mcgyver suggestion is probably the best because baking soda will only act as a media for the oxide removal, but it will rust right back
Personally, I would only burn it off with a hot fire and scrub it clean with a good wire brush, then coat it with lard or olive oil. It will be ready to cook on it, anytime You are!!
If is in very bad shape, You might consider sandblasting it before the above.

( You can still find lard in Hispanic grocery stores )

Evaporust is citric acid and water. A harmless organic product found in most prepared foods. Just rinse well with hot water to get rid of it.

You could try my solution for my Char Broil BBQ when the steel bottom finally fell out (taking the steel burner and steel flame spreader plate & all the lava rock coals with it in a pile of rusty crud!), I made all new parts in stainless, I got carried away and made new Grilles in stainless too ;-)

BbqShut.jpg

Pic shows the grilles in place in the cleaned & repainted cast alloy shell

BbqOpen.jpg

and with the lid open

Nick

Here's a thread that has a bunch of info and pictures too:
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=28297
Some good info inn there...

I found a site a while back where this fella literally derusted half his truck body in one shot in a BIG tub using a dc welder for the supply. It worked!
You should have no problems. If you use baking soda, there should be no harmful by-products during the process that would hurt plastic and such. If I can find that site I'll post it. Right now my hand is hurtin real bad - crushed it in a log splitter 3 hours ago. :bawling: good thing I had gloves on. Looks bad but nothing broke I hope.

I replaced mine with stainless burners. Available on the internet, delivered right to your door by a guy in brown shorts who drives a brown truck.

No more rust.

Although baking soda works, I think washing soda works a little better. I think it is sodium carbonate, and you can also get the same basic stuff at the pool supply places, read the label, but I think it is the PH increaser. I think some people also have pretty good luck with a lye solution, although I have not tried that.
James

Although baking soda works, I think washing soda works a little better. I think it is sodium carbonate, and you can also get the same basic stuff at the pool supply places, read the label, but I think it is the PH increaser. I think some people also have pretty good luck with a lye solution, although I have not tried that.
James

Jim, your correct. I couldn't concentrate last night after crushing my hand. I also found this file which I uploaded to my site for everyone. Much credit to the gentleman who did this. It's worth reading and has many photos!!

http://www.metalmelter.com/files/derusting_oldtruck.pdf

Enjoy :cheers:

Evaporust is citric acid and water. A harmless organic product found in most prepared foods. Just rinse well with hot water to get rid of it.

Are you sure about that?? :reading:

The last time I researched it on the MSDS and google it looked to me to be an enzyme since it consumes the oxygen in the rust leaving the iron behind. An acid wouldn't do that. They say an indefinite shelf life but once opened it must be used within a timely manner since once exposed to free air it only lasts so long. It also has practically a neutral ph according to their site. A citric acid based product would probably be much lower in ph. Have a look:

http://www.orisonllc.com/corrosion/evaporust/evapo-rust.html

http://www.evaporust.com/docs/MSDS%20Evaporust.pdf

Cheers! ;)

Are you sure about that?? :reading:

The last time I researched it on the MSDS and google it looked to me to be an enzyme since it consumes the oxygen in the rust leaving the iron behind. An acid wouldn't do that. They say an indefinite shelf life but once opened it must be used within a timely manner since once exposed to free air it only lasts so long. It also has practically a neutral ph according to their site. A citric acid based product would probably be much lower in ph. Have a look:

http://www.orisonllc.com/corrosion/evaporust/evapo-rust.html

http://www.evaporust.com/docs/MSDS%20Evaporust.pdf

Cheers! ;)

I don't know the exact composition of EvapoRust, but the base composition is about 96% citric acid and water. 3.1% ammonium hydroxide and probably some small amounts of one or more of canola oil, potassium hydroxide, urea, sodium sulphate, sucrose, benzotriazole or tolytriazole. Take a look at the discription section of the link. My point in the original post was that EvapoRust is pretty harmless compared to the other rust removal compounds. I would'nt want to drink it or take a bath in it, but I don't worry about getting it on me and take no extra precausions when using it, and it is biodegradabile.

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?wo=2000034551

Back