What's new
What's new

OT: Impact wrench vs. breaker bar

john.k

Diamond
Crowd I did work for had a job installng water mains .....they had to install some very big valves that were held together by hundreds of bolts with thick rubber gaskets......anyhoo,the nitwit son went to a course on how to install the valves (Tyco ,it was) and they gave him a giant torque wrench about 6ft long.........do up all the bolts with this giant Torque wrench................Unfortunately ,the big "Talking wrench " was used as a 6ft long bar ,and all the rubber gaskets squeezed out.

tdmidget

Diamond
Personally wouldn't use a torque stick on anything important -- which is pretty much anything with a listed torque spec.

Can't be much different than an extension. Discount tire uses them here. I had a ford Taurus. Every time I had tires put on I had warped discs. They gave me to the song and dance about the torque sticks. Ford had a service bulletin warning about excess torque causing this. It came home with a tire repair and I had a 3 foot cheater on it and jumped up and down to finally break it loose. That's over 600 foot pounds when the spec was 90.
Costco claims all their tire people are Michelin trained. Never had a problem there.

jccaclimber

Hot Rolled
Must be a local thing. I’ve been to at least 8 Discount/America’s Tire stores in 4 different states. Every one used a torque wrench on the lug nuts. I doubt it was changed per vehicle model, but for cars at least, most are a similar torque spec.

They do seem to have a problem improperly lifting low clearance vehicles, but that’s a separate issue.

jackal

Titanium
Too many quick tire places have young guys that set their impacts on 'kill' instead of 'stun'.
We had a local place that did tires and they always ran them up with an impact set on low torque and used a torque wrench to tighten.
I really miss that place.
We had a customer from an oil field place come in and complain that our pipe thread were leaking.
We had some 1" pipe plugs that we had tapped in a housing and they were leaking.
They didn't leak for us.
He came in qnd demonstrated his method.

Since he was out in the field without a compressor, this guy used a bottle of nitrogen set at around 400 psi on an Earthquake impact.

When he ran those pipe plugs in, he was stripping off the hex drive in them.😳😳😳😳😳
We used his impact and ran them in at shop pressure and no problems.
He was distorting the holes with that super pressure.

I guess it all matters in "who the person is running the impact".

1yesca

Stainless
Too many quick tire places have young guys that set their impacts on 'kill' instead of 'stun'.
We had a local place that did tires and they always ran them up with an impact set on low torque and used a torque wrench to tighten.
I really miss that place.
We had a customer from an oil field place come in and complain that our pipe thread were leaking.
We had some 1" pipe plugs that we had tapped in a housing and they were leaking.
They didn't leak for us.
He came in qnd demonstrated his method.

Since he was out in the field without a compressor, this guy used a bottle of nitrogen set at around 400 psi on an Earthquake impact.

When he ran those pipe plugs in, he was stripping off the hex drive in them.😳😳😳😳😳
We used his impact and ran them in at shop pressure and no problems.
He was distorting the holes with that super pressure.

I guess it all matters in "who the person is running the impact".
tell him next time to moly lub on them that way he can go from tapper to straight threads . cuz if your going to screw things up go all the way

aribert

Cast Iron
About twenty years ago a local tire shop dented the bottom of the rockers on my Triumph because they lifted the car by the body instead of the frame. That was the last time I took a vehicle into a tire shop bay. Now I carry the tires on my P/U to the tire shop and then install them myself. When the P/U needs tires the P/U wheels go in the trailer pulled by another car. Could become an issue in another 20 years as I age.

Scottl

Diamond
Can't be much different than an extension. Discount tire uses them here. I had a ford Taurus. Every time I had tires put on I had warped discs. They gave me to the song and dance about the torque sticks. Ford had a service bulletin warning about excess torque causing this. It came home with a tire repair and I had a 3 foot cheater on it and jumped up and down to finally break it loose. That's over 600 foot pounds when the spec was 90.
Costco claims all their tire people are Michelin trained. Never had a problem there.
They help a bit to reduce over-torquing but they are far from a precision instrument and an operator who keeps on the trigger can still over-torque with them.

Scottl

Diamond
About twenty years ago a local tire shop dented the bottom of the rockers on my Triumph because they lifted the car by the body instead of the frame. That was the last time I took a vehicle into a tire shop bay. Now I carry the tires on my P/U to the tire shop and then install them myself. When the P/U needs tires the P/U wheels go in the trailer pulled by another car. Could become an issue in another 20 years as I age.
Years ago at a friend's garage a new employee almost put a jack through the fiberglass floorpan of a Ferrari but was fortunately stopped by the boss who told him to always identify the proper jacking points on any vehicle before lifting. The vehicle came in off the road with a low tire from a nail puncture.