What's new
What's new

OT: Looking for a new company truck.

Techguy

Hot Rolled
I really need to upgrade the company truck.

I am replacing a 2003 GMC sierra Denali and keeping my 2007 Toyota Tundra because I love it. Options are a new Tundra or a Ford F-150. My wife loves the RAMs but their quality is suspect according to Consumer Reports. I am looking at 1500s and want the 6'5" box for hauling metal.

I won't even consider anything from GM as my Denali has been nothing but a piece of shit since new.

I am wondering it any of you have bought any of these and what you think of them I am looking at new because or great dealer incentives on new ones. The used ones seem to be nearly the same price as new,

What say you?

Dan

Last edited:
I really need to upgrade the company truck.

I am replacing a 2003 GMC sierra Denali and keeping my 2007 Toyota Tundra because I love it. Options are a new Tundra or a Ford F-150. My wife loves the RAMs but their quality is suspect according to Consumer Reports. I am looking at 1500s and want the 6'5" box for hauling metal.

I am wondering it any of you have bought any of these and what you think of them I am looking at new because or great dealer incentives on new ones. The used ones seem to be nearly the same price as new,

What say you?

Dan

I'd buy a Chevy. 6' box? I have a standard cab 3500 dualy, 8' box with a lift gate. Standard cab / 8' box is better, big box = haul more, standard cab = shorter wheel base, easier to maneuver in parking lots.

I'd buy a Chevy. 6' box? I have a standard cab 3500 dualy, 8' box with a lift gate. Standard cab / 8' box is better, big box = haul more, standard cab = shorter wheel base, easier to maneuver in parking lots.

I am not considering any General Motors truck because my Denali has been a complete piece of shit since new and my Tundra has been as reliable as they get after 140,000 miles. I hate the Denali even though it is a really nice ride.

Dan

I have had Ram 1500 and 2500 since 2009, no issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I am not considering any General Motors truck because my Denali has been a complete piece of shit since new and my Tundra has been as reliable as they get after 140,000 miles. I hate the Denali even though it is a really nice ride.

Dan

Mine only has 400,000 mostly trouble free miles. My brothers Dodge....not so much. 140,000 on it, 3 trannys, endless electrical problems, Cummins is good though.

If you are happy with the Tundra, why mess with success?

I like Fords but my newest one is a 2008 so, commentary is not up to date. You might like the new aluminum bodies for potentially better corrosion resistance.

I have 2 2014 F150 Stx's and I like them very well. V8 engines in mine. The STX package is nice- rubber floors, good creature comfort with out too many bells and whistles.

If you are happy with the Tundra, why mess with success?

I like Fords but my newest one is a 2008 so, commentary is not up to date. You might like the new aluminum bodies for potentially better corrosion resistance.

I am leaning towards the tundra because it is so reliable and is mostly US content. In fact from what I have fond it is the most US content of any of the trucks. My problem is that the Tundra hasn't really been updated since 2007 so I want to know what Ford owners think of their trucks.

2014 F-150 XLT 4X4, 5 liter motor.
Lives an easy life. Pulled a trailer for about 10k miles, has 76,000 on it as of today.
Average 16.5-17 MPG.
The only problem I've had has been that the ignition did not recognize the code on my key. Left me stranded.
This week I'm putting on its first new brakes and tires.
I really like the motor, fastest truck I've had. My first vehicle with Bluetooth and backup camera, both are quite nice features.
Ride is nice.

Had a 2006 Ram 1500 4.7 liter, seats were a tiny bit more comfortable, towed worse.

2009 Sierra 1500 a 5.something liter. Comfy truck, towed similar to the Ram.

If the load capacity of a Tundra is enough, at least test drive the new Ridgeline. I just bought one as a "120 miles between the two shops" stuff and self hauler, and it is a really really impressive vehicle for what it does. Only a short box (5'3") crew cab is offered, and it may be a bit pricey for a shop truck. But it is the most made in the USA truck on the market, and IMHO the best if you don't need to tow much.

Obviously you need to talk to a sales man and you all ready seem to have made up your mind? I can't help unless you want some input on the reliability I've experienced with GM products but what would be the point?.
Dan

I like the Ford,I had a 2013. It drove like a sports car. I have towed 12,000 with no issues. This is the last year for the 5.0 V8 (I have been told). If you want the crewcab and the 6+ foot bed you will find that they are rare.

My ideal spec is Crewcab, long bed, 4WD, 5.0 engine and whatever trim package that includes a backup camera. Order soon if you can't find one on the lot, production on this model year is closing in a few months.

Buy from the truck manager at a large dealership. Start looking near the end of the month in order to catch deals. Sales are down so you might catch a good one.

I know you are looking at pickups but you should at least give a look at the ford transit vans they come in three diffrent roof heights and several wheel bases. I recently had one for a rental and liked it alot. I had the medium height roof and you can stand up in the rear unless you are over 6'2" . Huge back doors and a large side door. Much to my surprise it even had multiple decent tiedown loops on the floor. Again not a pickup but For me it would be a consideration over a pickup if I was buying new

Our company operates a fleet of Fords, about 25 of them. Good luck trying to get them fixed, the dealers are booked up for weeks.

We only have one non-Ford, my Chevy. In 95,000 miles, the only time it's been in the shop was for tires. Too bad you got a bad one...

It is my experience that new vehicles are not as "tough" as older ones.

That said, have you considered a good used Ford or Toyota?

(I drive a 1988 Nissan Pathfinder 5-sp with 237K Mi; runs like new and tough as shit!)

I like the Ford,I had a 2013. It drove like a sports car. I have towed 12,000 with no issues. This is the last year for the 5.0 V8 (I have been told). If you want the crewcab and the 6+ foot bed you will find that they are rare.

My ideal spec is Crewcab, long bed, 4WD, 5.0 engine and whatever trim package that includes a backup camera. Order soon if you can't find one on the lot, production on this model year is closing in a few months.

Buy from the truck manager at a large dealership. Start looking near the end of the month in order to catch deals. Sales are down so you might catch a good one.

It is the last year for the current version of the 5.0L. They are upgrading it for the 2018 model year (still a 5.0L).

Techguy-

It would be helpful to know more about what you want to do with the truck that just "haul metal". Are you moving big loads everyday? Do you drive a lot of highway miles? etc. etc.

That being said, I bought a new 2013 Ford F-150 XLT with the 5.0L V8, Supercab, 8' box and the tow/haul package (3,000 lb payload capacity supposedly). I pulled the box and put on a Knapheide flat bed, as my smallish custom architectural metals shop tends to move a lot of bulkier items. The tow/haul package means beefier suspension, and really makes a difference. And this truck is quick. Fastest truck by far I have ever owned. I am generally a Ford guy, but have also owned Toyotas and one Dodge. This is the best truck for general shop use I have ever used by far, and since purchasing, have had zero issues. It is well maintained, but run hard regularly. I'd recommend it without hesitation.

Good luck,

ECJ

I don't blame you on not wanting another GM. I have a 2004 GMC 2500hd and the brake lines rusted out at 115,000 miles. Not a speck of rust anywhere else on the truck. Truck has also used a quart of oil every 3000 miles since new but according to Gm its within spec. For this reason and a few others I will never buy another Gm product. Gm seems to have the same issues model after model and they have no desire to fix it. Just like the ignition switches and they can't seem to get intake manifold gaskets not to leak.

I heard the newer GMs are better but no matter what you buy you can get a Lemon. If you are buying new I would just shop around for the best value because they all have problems and everyone has their opinion on the best brand. If I was shopping for a new Truck I would be looking hard at Ford with a V8.

Back