What's new
What's new

OT: Mass right to repair ballot initiative

gustafson

Diamond
Some pretty wild propaganda thrown around by the automakers trying to retain their market share

Massachusetts Voters Will Decide (Again) Who Is Allowed To Fix Their Cars – Reason.com

If you think it is not a big deal, some cars need window switches to be programmed by the dealer. And that goes back 10 years.

From the link

Opponents of Question 1 are bluntly and sensationally warning that if the initiative passes, your car's data may be accessed by hackers who can use the information to stalk you and break into your home. They've even gone so far as to claim that it will allow domestic abusers to access geolocation data from vehicles to track their victims. This isn't true: According to the Boston Globe, these claims are in reference to a failed "license to repair" bill from California from 2014 that required that geolocation data be made available. Question 1 does not include such demands.

Last edited:
When I first read the title*, I thought you meant "repairing" mail-in ballots. :nono:

*only one coffee yet......:sulk:

Also, in before the lock.

When I first read the title*, I thought you meant "repairing" mail-in ballots. :nono:

*only one coffee yet......:sulk:

Also, in before the lock.

Hoping it's not locked, as it's pretty damn on topic if you ask me.

John Deere (requiring most repairs to be done through dealership), Fanuc (paying for a tech to come turn on a feature by changing a parameter), not to even get to the automotive sector, where in order to prime the brake lines I have to have a I/O scan tool.

We aren't heading in a pro-repair direction. We are headed to a subscription based format where even if you've made the payments and own it, you still have an exorbinant monthly fee just to keep it operational.

Some pretty wild propaganda thrown around buy the automakers trying to retain their market share

Massachusetts Voters Will Decide (Again) Who Is Allowed To Fix Their Cars – Reason.com

If you think it is not a big deal, some cars need window switches to be programmed by the dealer. And that goes back 10 years.

From the he link

Opponents of Question 1 are bluntly and sensationally warning that if the initiative passes, your car's data may be accessed by hackers who can use the information to stalk you and break into your home. They've even gone so far as to claim that it will allow domestic abusers to access geolocation data from vehicles to track their victims. This isn't true: According to the Boston Globe, these claims are in reference to a failed "license to repair" bill from California from 2014 that required that geolocation data be made available. Question 1 does not include such demands.

Oh for the want of a comma....:D

Their argument is they own the softwares ip, same with fanuc as said, I got 3 robodrills and robots, the price doubled in service and maintenance calls, mandatory, a teach pendant was as much as a car, progress?
Mark

I have heard of Tesla removing software for expensive options from used cars. "Software licensed to original owner" How long till other Automakers, machinery manufacturers etc. start pulling the same.

Sounds like a good way to drive-down resale value and earn the wrath of the original owners.

Not if it incentivizes leasing instead, since the "used" vehicle would instead be "certified pre-owned" and sold again through the dealer. That might even allow for some mid-range models to be upsold with software upgrades after the depreciation was based on the original value.

Tesla has numbers in (nearly) all of it's components.
They declare a car scrapped and NONE of those parts can be re-installed again.

One car was totaled for a minor fender, and the poor guy who bought it at auction found out that it could not be repaired from relatively minor cosmetic damage.

That's pure evil..

Talk about "the software is licensed to the original buyer"
Try buying a used Fanuc Robot....
You have to BUY the non transferable license AGAIN, and you cannot sell it later.

The problem you DIYers face is that sheep buy far more cars each year than do people. Sheep don't complain or raise a fuss when it comes to things under the hood.

Same thing will happen there that happened in Nebraska....

All the corporations showed up with their lawyers, shut it down.

The interesting thing about some simple electronics is, if you know how it works, you can test it.

Computers are another animal altogether.

Back