What's new

OT - more CA diesel emissions dumbness that escapes me

Status
Not open for further replies.
As usual you guys get it half right

Construction equipment pretty much has to be tier 4
Except if only used less than something like 200 hours annually, might be lower
Point being not commercial use.
So you can still use old equipment on your property a little bit.
Most stuff was sold out of state years ago, or scrapped.

Really old news

Kind of the same with trucks vehicle model year isn’t relevant engine just has to be tier 4
Net effect the old stuff was either sold out of state or junked.
Some stuff has been converted to cog.
There are still old diesel pickups running around

CHP will red flag and tow your vehicle if it’s against any Cali regulations, the car tuning world has dealt with this for decades now.

If you guys are serious about buying California trucks to resell elsewhere your about 80 years late, no rust Cali cars have been a premium for ever, the trucks won’t sell cheap in Cali because they are worth a premium just 1 state over ( and the rest of USA)

Nothing new.

Yes, and I think it's disgusting. What about the poor guy who bought 200 tons of asbestos, what's he going to do with it now ? And the whole DDT industry, who's thinking about them ? Does anyone care about the poor Mexican who bought 80 cases of Thalidomide tablets wholesale, and now he's stuck with them ? What about poor Chisso, being run out of Minamata, anyone give a crap about them ?

You're right, California is absolutely insane with these bans :(

Stupid California---All those insane bans but they let the Chyna Virus in.

If you are driving a vehicle that isn't registered properly be sure to have some groceries in the front seat spread all over.
When stopped the cop will see all the groceries and realize you made a desperate food run and issue you a warning.

11 year old commercial trucks that pollute are banned. I don't really see the problem with it.

In my town people bitch and complain about increased water rates because we needed to stop dumping raw sewage into the bay.

Remember when Brazil hosted the summer Olympics and there was literal shit floating in the water?

I like clean air and water.....and I don't mind paying a little extra for it.

I see a problem with retroactive legislation. Do you see what that means? It's really shitty to tell the owner of a vehicle which was 100% legally compliant when he bought it - and still in in the same condition - that he can no longer operate it. Pure shitty.

You don't mind paying a little more for clean air? How clean is clean? In 11 years will they outlaw your 2021 car? But really...if YOU don't mind paying more, then YOU feel free to do so. Don't wipe your boogers on me. That's the problem with liberals...they are all for spending MY money.

As for the idea that these trucks aren't selling cheap because they can be sold one state over....that's false. I've watched these trucks sell for $11-13K time after time. Think about that. A similar truck in Texas with 3X miles on it will sell for low $30's.

Hello.

As someone who dealt with this it's not exactly true. The old trucks can be serviced to still be allowed on the road. Source. My neighbor and his old truck that he re registered after performing some type of service.

Ive read the details in truck forums ,and forgotten most,but farmers /primary producers can get exemptions for limited use....I also think trucks can be updated with new compliant motors etc to get a certain extra service life ......would likely cost at least $20k for a mid range truck,say 16 ton gross.

My understanding is that they are not outlawed they just have to meet newer smog laws. Similar laws apply if you put a newer engine into a car. It is supposed to meet smog laws from when the engine block was first sold. Of course I doubt anyone checks engine serial numbers.
If you have an old car do you have to upgrade to electric lights to drive at night?
My brother knew a guy who bought one of the last MG's with smog stuff that choked up the engine. He then bought a much older wrecked one and switched serial number plates so he could remove the smog stuff.
Bill D

If you are driving a vehicle that isn't registered properly be sure to have some groceries in the front seat spread all over.
When stopped the cop will see all the groceries and realize you made a desperate food run and issue you a warning.

Happened to me. The 11pm news last summer stated that to avoid a covid attack on you, don't risk it for a smog check certification, Which means driving to a station and
getting a test. Just carry your paid vehicle registration in the vehicle and if a cop stops you then just your papers. I did that and got stopped with groceries all over
the front seat. At that point I had probably driven about one tank of gas all year and was thinking about how long I should use stale (so to speak) fuel.

Smog checks are a f...... ripoff in CA. Never had a failure ever since it began, something like 30 years ago.

11 year old commercial trucks that pollute are banned. I don't really see the problem with it.

In my town people bitch and complain about increased water rates because we needed to stop dumping raw sewage into the bay.

Remember when Brazil hosted the summer Olympics and there was literal shit floating in the water?

I like clean air and water.....and I don't mind paying a little extra for it.

hell you don't have to go to Brazil to see that the u.s.a. is the new Brazil and cal is sal Paolo

Back in 1984,I bought a new tandem drive Inter to use on brick delivery.....good spec,38000 rears,14000front ,it had a DT 466 B motor ,that IH called a "Blue Star" there was a big sign in the cab and on the engine that it was California Emissions compliant.....not being anywhere near Cali,not really necessary....in those day in Qld ,R600 Macks used to blot out the sun with black smoke from new.......Anyhoo,I soon found out what the stickers meant.....the motor would stall anywhere at any time...it had zero low down power like a diesel should have ....I asked IH to rectify it ,and they had the pump off,but it would still stall as you went to take off.People watching would think you were a dickhead driver.

So is it really better to trash a older truck and build a new one? I mean doesnt building a new truck use a lot of energy and resource? Side by side building a new truck and running a older truck longer. Its hard to believe the new truck comes out ahead.

So is it really better to trash a older truck and build a new one? I mean doesnt building a new truck use a lot of energy and resource? Side by side building a new truck and running a older truck longer. Its hard to believe the new truck comes out ahead.

Whoa, Whoa, WHOA !
That would make too much sense....the greenies only care what comes out the tailpipe, not the
total effect on the environment.

Same with making and xporting DEF. It's a nasty chemical, and it's diluted to 36% so your hauling mostly water all around the country....:nutter:

It is not just trucks, tractors, wood chippers and all. We just bought a 2008 backhoe from LA county that could no longer be used. At some point after it left the John Deere factory it had something called a HUSS system installed to clean the exhaust. They cut off the stack and routed it to a 10 gallon can looking thing with a fuel injector, a glow plug an air pump, an external fuel pump 5oo feet of 16 ga white wire, a computer to run the whole mess and a relay to keep the engine from starting if the computer thinks the exhaust filter is dirty. Well every few hours of operation it needs you to shut off the tractor and push and hold a button on the computer so it can regenerate, meaning it pumps diesel into the can on the side of the tractor where the glow plug starts it on fire making the can glow a dull orange while it sizzles, pops and shits smoke out the top for most of a half hour, then you can run the tractor again. This too was not good enough any more so LA county had to sell a backhoe with low hours to a private party, they can run it all they want??? WTF?? So I had it shipped to Idaho and after about 10 hours the HUSS thing died, I had to cut the exhaust off the top of the engine with a sawsall to get the tractor to run enough to drive over by the shop so I could remove all this shit. The folks at HUSS are very helpful in how to remove it, it is off now, I just need to make a plate to cover the hole where the 10 gallon can was.
IMG_1973.jpg
IMG_1974.jpg
IMG_1975.jpg
IMG_1976.jpg

This is the fallacy with many of the EPA rules. They are written with a good intent however in formulating the rule, the trees get in the way of the forest.

In the case of environmental rules for diesel engines, the rules were written about specific amounts of target pollutants per mass output of exhaust gasses. Unfortunately there is no context for the overall effect of the rules.

I think some of this could have been avoided if the rules were written to take into account overall fuel efficiency. In the case Of Tier III vs Tier IV diesel engines, there was a general tendency to see a substantial reduction of fuel efficiency with Tier IV over Tier III. So in effect what we did was disregard the total pollutant output per lb of fuel consumed vs work output.

Which is worse an engine that maximizes total work output per lb. of fuel consumed with slightly elevated particulates and actual less total CO2 output or an engine that has slightly less particulates per lb. of exhaust but due to lower fuel efficiency actually puts out more total particulates and CO2 per total work output?

This gets back to the VW debacle with their cheating on the emissions tests. Not that I'm for cheating but I suspect that the VW diesel likely was better environmentally as it would fail at only full power modes which tend to not be used for often in the overall life of the engine or vehicle vs a vehicle that would actually pass but had reduced fuel efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back