What's new
What's new

OT: mystery tap: Dalzen 0.820 OD x 8tpi bottoming tap, LH threads, sine wave tooth shape, HSS, 4 flute

JHarveyB

Plastic
I have a mystery tap (acquired long ago in a heap of things at a sewing machine factory out-of-business auction) that I need help identifying and finding a new home for. Inscribed on the shank are: Dalzen; 0.820-8 LH; T-60; HSS. It is a bottoming tap (no taper to the initial cutting area). The teeth are a sine wave shape, i.e., rounded tips and gullets. I would like help identifying the thread type and nominal size. If anyone here could use this tap, I would be willing to mail it to you for shipping plus whatever you wish to pay me for it. Otherwise I will probably try my luck on eBay (less desirable option). Thanks for your help!
JHarveyB

Attachments

• BF41CAB2-B74A-44D0-A792-F16DEB9A1810.jpeg
    BF41CAB2-B74A-44D0-A792-F16DEB9A1810.jpeg
    714.8 KB · Views: 50
That thread form (or very similar) is used on concrete forms, the dried concrete splits off easily.
But not that fine of pitch, nor Left hand:

Thanks for your help. I checked with M. B. Naegle and he is unfamiliar with that thread. Still looking for someone who can use it.

I suspect that sewing machine factories are like instrument factories, likely to find lots of odd ball taps and other threading equipment lying around. I purchased a small box of odd ball taps from a guy that had just come from an instrument auction. I have never had any use for any of them, but interesting to look at.
JH

Back