What's new
What's new

OT: Personal opinion on the use of an Midtronics MDX 650 Battery system tester

steve-l

Titanium
I just bought one of these. This is a battery conductance and battery system analyzer. I got a very good deal and I am hoping I did not make an error. So, if you have used one, please let me know your opinion.

Many people love them...I am not one of them.

They work well but like Eastwood said...one must know their limitations.

This type of device can tell you if a battery is bad.

It can NOT tell you a battery is good.

It does its magic by analyzing how a signal passes the battery, not exact description but good enough.

It determines the conductance of the battery.

It can tell you it LOOKS like a good battery if the readings are right but it stops there.

We built "tools" to measure how batteries performed using the cell site as a load bank after too many failures of "good" batteries.

Only true test it measured load for measured time to get true Amp hours, but you can do non-intrusive testing and have some results.

You need to setup the instrument same way each time and keep records.

As a battery degradation occurs the results will show.

If you have a battery bank or more than one you look for the one that is different than the rest.

We had a few hundred cell sites and a switch to care for and was tasked with battery care.

The Midtronics factory rep met me at a site to demo his product, had 3 strings of batteries, 48 volt plant.

He was allowed his instrument, an alber and a voltmeter, his choice, itold him 2 jars were bad and he needed to find them.

45 minutes later he found what he thought could be bad bur guessed.

Showed him our process using site as load and a voltmeter with math and timer, found both in maybe 5 minutes.

The midtronics is a decent tool as long as you understand it has limits and use it properly.

A load brick for 20 bucks at harbor freight gives better results....GOOD/BAD

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I'll take a carbon pile load tester instead any day. Had more than a few times where one of those impedance style testers said battery was fine and it wouldn't start the car within a few months. Carbon pile tester susses out an iffy battery right away.

Back