What's new
What's new

OT: Portable fuel caddies

The pump alone runs a couple hundred dollars for a decent one designed for frequent use. To hit that price point the hose will be garbage the drop tube will be weak,bounce it around will fall apart pump may have decent seals but prbably the seals will dissolve with ethanol fuel but depends how you use it

I have the Todd 28 gal for diesel. It has handles and wheels and a rotary hand pump. Works out fine. One thing is the lable states not to fill tank in or on truck, i think that lable is for gasoline, well that thing is pretty heavy when full.

That whole thing about not filling gas tanks while in the truck is another outgrowth of the shoe bomber culture we live in.

One idiot tries to put a bomb in his shoe, and 20 years later a trillion people have and still are taking off their shoes before flying.

I acquired a 30 gallon fuel caddy cheap (free) because the pump had crapped out. When it is full down to a little below half empty it will gravity feed. I use it to fill small two gallon plastic gas cans for lawn mowers, and all the other gadgets I have gained over the years. When it gets down to about 1/3 full it will no longer gravity feed and needs a little help. I took the filler cap off and attached a standard tire stem by drilling a hole and pulling the stem in just like you would a rim (I love those things). At first I tried using one of those little cheap tire pumps and a battery pack but having brushes arcing that close to gas made me pucker up a bit. I am now using one of those portable air tanks to pressurize the caddy and feel it is a lot safer. I just blow air into it until I see the sides bulge a bit and that is plenty to pump for or five gallons at a good clip. This kind of hillbilly fix isn't for everyone, but when I looked up what a new pump cost for this thing it started to look like the girls at closing time.

That whole thing about not filling gas tanks while in the truck is another outgrowth of the shoe bomber culture we live in.

One idiot tries to put a bomb in his shoe, and 20 years later a trillion people have and still are taking off their shoes before flying.

Do you ground the gas nozzle before it touches the car? Then ground it to the metal around the inlet(good luck finding any non-plastic), then remove cap and finally insert nozzle touching metal of filler neck as it goes in..
Rubber insulating truck bed liners and liner coatings are the reason for removing a can to the ground point before filling. Static electricity can get quite a voltage and enough amps to cause a big spark.
Bill D

So what do all the dirt contractors do with fuel tanks in the pickup box behind the cab? I know most or diesel tanks...................and the caddy I'm looking at will also be for diesel. No way I humpin' a 30-40 gallon tote from the ground back into the truck...................at the shop I can take it out with the forklift or tractor...............

So what do all the dirt contractors do with fuel tanks in the pickup box behind the cab? I know most or diesel tanks...................and the caddy I'm looking at will also be for diesel. No way I humpin' a 30-40 gallon tote from the ground back into the truck...................at the shop I can take it out with the forklift or tractor...............

One nozzle goes in the truck, then you put your card in the other side of the pump, since it only lets you buy $100 and that nozzle fills the aux tank. Then drive ahead to the next pump and repeat. (Paying $2.99 diesel in Milwaukee)

It’s bolted to the truck and the electric pumps are grounded to the battery.
There really isn’t a worry with diesel.
Mine are 55 and 105 gallons.

Your better off welding together your own tank. It’s just a cube with some threaded ports. Buy a pump off craigslist or marketplace.

I recently bought 3 drums of 100 weight compressor oil at an auction and they came with a big plastic drum dolly/spill containment. I paid $10 for the lot so had low expectations of the dolly, but I've found it's pretty awesome. You strap a full 55 gallon drum in it and you can move it around like a handtruck, no problem. To use the drum, you screw a valve in it and lay the dolly down. It's height is good for filling 5 gallon buckets and it has spill containment built in.

If you can gravity fill whatever you are needing to a fill (gas can?) you might look at a drum dolly instead of a dedicated fuel tank.

I heat my shop with waste oil. About 2000 gallons a year. Probably 1900 gallons of that comes from friends. For collection I have a 275 oval oil furnace tank welded onto a skid with fork pockets. I put that in a pickup bed and use the engine's vacuum or vacuum pump (diesel) to pull oil into the tank. To get the oil out I put 5 PSI air to it.

For hand crank drum pumps Harbor freight has a few on the shelf. The cheap ones are bad. The higher priced one, I think about $50 last time I bought one, works real good and I want to say it's even made in USA. I have like 5 of them in drums here at the shop I use all the time.

One nozzle goes in the truck, then you put your card in the other side of the pump, since it only lets you buy $100 and that nozzle fills the aux tank. Then drive ahead to the next pump and repeat. (Paying $2.99 diesel in Milwaukee)

It’s bolted to the truck and the electric pumps are grounded to the battery.
There really isn’t a worry with diesel.
Mine are 55 and 105 gallons.

Your better off welding together your own tank. It’s just a cube with some threaded ports. Buy a pump off craigslist or marketplace.

You pay road tax for your machinery fuel ?

I would not weld up your own (and I have made tanks before, not concerned with my abilities to make a good one) Rather because your homemade tank won't have a D.O.T. cert on it.

I have a tractor supply 50 gallon diesel tank and a 110v pulp from there. Works out well.

I built a skid out of 4x4s for loading it in the truck as needed

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You pay road tax for your machinery fuel ?

I would not weld up your own (and I have made tanks before, not concerned with my abilities to make a good one) Rather because your homemade tank won't have a D.O.T. cert on it.

Yes, then I can put it in trucks, just convenient. And trying to find it at the pump in the city isn’t the easiest.

My tanks are just white cubes. Dot stamps, no stickers, no markings.

Looking for a 30 gallon +/- fuel caddy for diesel...............

https://www.amazon.com/35-Gallon-Portable-Transfer-Gasoline-35-Gallons/dp/B071NJKQGB/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

From what I have found, most have very poor quality pumps(hand crank)....................any good ones out there?

I've had a few fill-rite brand hand pumps that worked OK, but really prefer the electric pumps. I had a 12V on the truck and 110V for the ground tanks. You can expect to pay $100 or more for a decent hand pump.

Looking for a 30 gallon +/- fuel caddy for diesel...............

https://www.amazon.com/35-Gallon-Portable-Transfer-Gasoline-35-Gallons/dp/B071NJKQGB/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

From what I have found, most have very poor quality pumps(hand crank)....................any good ones out there?

I was looking for the same thing a while ago, seriously considered the John Dow products, seen one of their larger caddies on wheels and the quality looked good.......

Fuel Handling Equipment | Fuel Handling System by JohnDow

I ended up with a new 55-gallon drum and Blackmer hand pump, I have a barrel clamp for lifting in and out of the truck for refueling, it has been a real time saver compared to hauling 5-gallon diesel cans......I wanted to keep it simple!

Blackmer BR414B Hand Pump – Blackmer KI Pumps Store

Kevin

i have a tank off an old truck, spent a bit of time and $ to clean the inside and paint the outer and bought a $300 pump. mounted it to a skid and skid steer lifts it in and out of the truck, takes about 150L or about 40-45 gallons

Those are heavy duty steel tanks that bolt onto the bed just behind the cab. The guys I know all work for construction companies that have in-ground tanks and pumps for off-road diesel. They fill the truck mounted tank at the company headquarters and then drive out to the job site to refuel the equipment. There is a wired 12v pump attached to the tank with a hose and nozzle virtually identical to those used in gas stations. The rig is not cheap but for pros who do this all the time it's the only practical solution.

This is a typical example and the price does not include the pump, which adds about another $200.

Error | DNS Resolution | Northern Tool + Equipment

Back