What's new
What's new

OT-register domain name - what do i really need?

5 years ago i registered a couple domain names with GoDaddy and they are coming up for renewal. At much advanced cost.
I have never/"not yet" set up any entity to use them. All i want to do is keep the names reserved in case i do. :)

Every registration service that is popular wants to sell a whole raft of "security" with it.
Do i need any security if there is no associated website or other use of the name?

So what actually is the minimum a person should have to protect the right to "own" a domain name for some future use?

Any preferred services?
Forbes has a partner deal with Hostgator that is the cheapest i have seen so far.
But of course their "top 10" is not the same as other "top 10" rankings etc.

I have heard good things about Gandi.net as a registrar, and bad things about GoDaddy, from people who manage domain names as part of their job. Your post reminded me to register a domain, which I did through Gandi. They appear to include various protections against unauthorized transfer, etc. as part of the standard service. Hopefully it works out!

The cost for registration varies across the providers, some are as low as $10 per year, but some domains can be very expensive, in particular names with less than 8 characters. I recently registered a site and I originally wanted to use a short name, but the cost was about $3,000, and I had to go through go daddy to get that name. Needless to say, I went with the longer name that was I think $20 through someone else.

I have used dotdnr.com for 20+ years, but also recently registered a name with bluehost.com. You can add on privacy to your domain so someone can’t find your information and spam you, that costs extra, but well worth it to me.

You don't need any of the extra security stuff, but you should set your domains to prevent deletion, transfer or update via the web client to prevent hacking. However, if you don't pay the registrar the extra fee for "privacy" all your contact info as the domain owner will be public. You will receive a steady stream of unwanted emails from people who want you to buy their website development, search engine optimization, and related services. Most registrars will keep your contact info confidential, releasing it only for official purposes, if you pay more $$$.

I have heard good things about Gandi.net as a registrar, and bad things about GoDaddy, from people who manage domain names as part of their job.

I have used Gandi.net for over 20 years. Their slogan used to be "no bullshit". They were great. They were bought out by a conglomerate in 2023. They jacked prices, etc. I can no longer recommend them. I will be switching later this year, before I need to renew my domains.

I would never use godaddy, and not just because of price - bad customer service, etc. Also, if a registrar does not have a clear price list you can easily find, run.

I am considering porkbun. They are $10.37/year. If you are just parking domains, that would probably be a good choice.

I clearly need to read a bit on what all the acronyms mean.

However, just as a "what if" - let's say i search some more options, and decide Directnic.com looks good on price.
If i select the "Pro plan" for 36 months/$161.10 does that plan (see list on site) have everything i need to just park a name? And considering that maybe i'll actually set something up with it in a year or 2?

I don't understand what all this means:
  • 100GB Disk Space
  • 1000GB Data Transfer
  • 100 POP3 Emails
  • 50 MYSQL Databases
  • 5 FTP Accounts
  • Up To 15 Hosted Domains
  • Up To 150 Sub Domains
Do it mean i get to register more than one domain name for the site?
Or does "hosted domains" and "Sub domains" mean something else.

I can google this stuff, but if anyone is feeling professorial, i'm an avid student. :)

Thanks much so far!
smt

However, just as a "what if" - let's say i search some more options, and decide Directnic.com looks good on price.
If i select the "Pro plan" for 36 months/$161.10 does that plan (see list on site) have everything i need to just park a name? And considering that maybe i'll actually set something up with it in a year or 2?

• 100GB Disk Space
  • 1000GB Data Transfer
  • 100 POP3 Emails
  • 50 MYSQL Databases
  • 5 FTP Accounts
  • Up To 150 Sub Domains

I can google this stuff, but if anyone is feeling professorial, i'm an avid student. :)

Thanks much so far!
smt
For parking, you only need the most basic package —- it should not cost more than $10-15 per year.

Buy more later when/if you need it.

My web site kellyroadcamp.com. That is my Cheboygan Michigan hunting camp.. You can go check it out if you wish by copy paste to your browser..
To sell stuff you need an Ecomerse web site so money, paypal charge cards and the like can be used.can be used,
Yiu can do the page on your owne so save some bucks.

I use Web Hosting by iPage but did everythimg myself

Beavers are a hazard to Kelly Road Camp.
They build the dam and make acres go damp.
Wet feet may not survive if belonging to a flower or a tree.
Into the trap and off with the hide every beaver I see.
By J.A. Buckner

Last edited:
  • 100GB Disk Space
  • 1000GB Data Transfer
  • 100 POP3 Emails
  • 50 MYSQL Databases
  • 5 FTP Accounts
  • Up To 150 Sub Domains
That is much more than just registering a domain name. That is full-on webhosting service, with facilities for backing websites with databases (which is typical), file storage, monthly bandwidth quota, and multiple moderator/administrator users. For that price, they will register 15 distinct domain.com's, and 150 sub.domain.com's, all of which can be vectored to various applications (like Wordpress) you might run on the webhosting service.

If you just want to park some domain names, you don't need any of that. I have a couple of domain names registered and my web hosting is purchased from somebody completely different than my domain registrar.

You don't need any of the extra security stuff, but you should set your domains to prevent deletion, transfer or update via the web client to prevent hacking. However, if you don't pay the registrar the extra fee for "privacy" all your contact info as the domain owner will be public. You will receive a steady stream of unwanted emails from people who want you to buy their website development, search engine optimization, and related services. Most registrars will keep your contact info confidential, releasing it only for official purposes, if you pay more $$$.
I have had my own domain name since 1999. I have never paid a nickel for extra security and yes, my name has appeared on whois searches but to my knowledge I have never received any such stream of unwanted emails. Over the years I have migrated through various ISPs and I can say that when I moved from godaddy to directnic the amount of spam in my email queue dropped by a huge amount. The antispam nowadays at directnic is quite good.

I do not use my domain for any commerce, so there is very little incentive to hack it. Mostly we host pictures and little blogs of our travels, recipes and blogs. It doesn't cost very much to have my own domain name and hosting my own images meant I didn't get bit by things like the photobucket debacle. No bit rot ..

metalmagpie

I do not use my domain for any commerce, so there is very little incentive to hack it. Mostly we host pictures and little blogs of our travels, recipes and blogs. It doesn't cost very much to have my own domain name and hosting my own images meant I didn't get bit by things like the photobucket debacle. No bit rot ..

I had never heard of that so I looked it up. Pretty clever use for a website.

"Bit rot, also known as data decay or data rot, is the slow deterioration in the performance and integrity of data that is stored on storage media. It occurs due to gradual wear and tear of the storage medium, causing corruption or inaccessibility of stored data. Bit rot can affect various storage media, including hard drives, solid-state drives, flash drives, USB sticks, memory cards, CDs, DVDs, and tapes. Preventing bit rot is crucial to maintaining data integrity and preventing data loss, especially in a homelab environment where digital storage is essential for storing data."

I am by NO means any kind of expert, but will take a stab at your alphabet soup. My takes are in red, below. I invite anyone to correct me on any point or to add additional information.

• 100GB Disk Space
That probably means that they include 100GBs of storage space for your web site on their server. You will need to have your web site on a server somewhere but not necessarily on their site. Providing this storage space is a good thing unless you have another site in mind. If you use their server and exceed that amount, they will probably have an additional charge.
  • 1000GB Data Transfer
This would be the amount of traffic their server would handle for some period of time. Again, if your site exceeds this amount they will probably charge more.
  • 100 POP3 Emails
You would be allowed to have up to 100 e-mail accounts (individual addresses) provided with the account. This is probably tied to your use of their server, but I am not sure on this point.
  • 50 MYSQL Databases
I'm not sure. You could ask them.
  • 5 FTP Accounts
I'm not sure. You could ask them.
  • Up To 150 Sub Domains
Probably 15 different internet addresses, but is it just providing for them on their server, or does it include the registration of those 14 additional internet addresses. I'm not sure. You could ask them. I am not familiar with the term "Sub Domains".

Thanks much so far!
smt

I just renewed my domain for 5 years in Feb. It's registered through Verio.com. Cost for 5 years was $109.95.
The monthly nut for hosting my site is $32.99 to Web.com. Simple site, no ecommerce, never updated.

We had our website at Hostgator for a while and then it got hacked. Just photos of my work no e-commerce so no real reason to get hacked. Hostgator wanted a lot of US dollars to “FIX” it for us. What a blatant scam.
I can’t believe they are actually still in business.
We dropped them and created a new website on Squarespace, no problems with them.

Your domain name registrar should be charging a very low amount for the “service”, somewhere around $10-15 per year. We buy 10 years at a time for our MichaelMooreFineWoodwork.ca domain name. Web site hosting is a whole different ball game and prices vary a lot depending on your needs. We pay about $15/mth for the hosting service.

EPA111 - thank you for taking the time to spell it out - yes i really am that ignorant. I get the gist of things but never took a deep dive, and don't know the lingo (all the acronyms you explained) Again, thank you.

M.Moore - i started to feel scammed just trying to start an account with Hostgator and came to the conclusion it was a very good thing, that things did not process there. It is also where i realized that i probably don't really need a fraction of what all the sites try to sell.

Godaddy annual renewal fee, $60 now. Is that "At much advanced cost" ?
Dan - depends how you use it. I am not familiar with your website. If you have a website or actually use the account in other ways, that may be cost effective.

Personally, as noted in OP all i really want to do is keep 2 domain names reserved. GoDaddy went from 249.95/5yrs original plan when i thought i might actually build a website, back then, to various options, cheapest being aprox $350/3 years. but none could be nailed down accurately - when i said that looks viable, they then would offer a different plan and terms. Since cutting off auto-renewal on their site, they've been sending intermittent nastygrams about how they are no longer obliged to protect my account, etc (there were still a couple weeks until expiration). I don't appreciate thuggery. For all i know based on some of their threats, they may even have pre-empted the domain names i was reserving, but there's still over a week left on the original contract. I'm not going to bother logging in again until the names are placed elsewhere or the issue becomes moot.

I'm appreciating and processing Henrya's link.
& exploring some of the other links you guys have provided.
Also reached out to CTO friend, that reaches out to me when he needs construction and woodworking questions answered and resources explained or provided. :)

Between work in the shop, i should have something resolved this week & will report.

Much appreciation!
smt

Back