What's new
What's new

OT: Russian tanks and armour and the concept of their design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rons

Diamond
What I hear a lot about Russian equipment is: "good enough to do the job and no more".

Seeing a lot of bombed out Russian tanks and was thinking about how a Abrams M1-A2 would hold up. In case you didn't know, they don't
build Abrams anymore. The used hulks are shipped stateside and gutted, sand blasted, updated, painted. Look on Youtube.

Ultimate Factories - M1 Tank - NG.mp4

The fixer-up guys
have a hoist that holds the hull of the Abrams vertically and it is moved into a gigantic sand blast chamber. The hulk is rotated like on
a BB spit for 30min, or so. The engines that come back from the desert are sand blasted too and are rebuilt.

I've seen another test of a device mount on a vehicle above the crew compartment and outward. Like if a shower drake support was all around the vehicle.
Any ordinance coming at the vehicle is immediately detect from the top rail and a energy beam shoots down from the rail. The ordinance is destroyed before impact.
If the ordinance was a focused flame device that burns through steel it would be stopped cold. A strike from 12:00 high could probably be protected against in a
similar way.

My interest was aroused when I heard the Def. Sec say that for every Russian tank in country, there will be ten anti-tank systems. Glad I'm not a tanker...

they_know_not.jpg

john.k

Diamond
Ive seen that doco.........the Gubbmint here has spent/wasted billions on Abrams tanks....the gubbmint at one point says the Abrams tanks are indestructable......then next thing ,the doco says the rebuild ones are burnt out tanks from the Baghdad scrap heap ....DESTROYED BY IED,s ! ! ! !..........However ,a interested person here tells me all Australian Abrams tanks have had the motors ruined by running them on diesel instead of jetfuel.......as we know ,motor parts are unavailable,and have to be rebuilt from used......and the Australian motors are not acceptable for rebuild.!

Status
Not open for further replies.