What's new
What's new

OT Selling A Building

SIP6A

Has anyone here ever had to deal with selling a building and then removing it from the property?

What I'm dealing with here is settling an estate. The building in question is a 1990 Morton, 42' X 60' with 12' clear span pole barn. It has no floor or electrical service. The reason it has to be removed from the property is because where I live you can't sell what's called an accessory building on a piece of vacant land. It's a nice building and would be a shame to tear it down.

I'm thinking of selling it for someone to disassemble and reassemble somewhere else.

Any thought on what it worth?

Thanks!
Todd

dalmatiangirl61

Has anyone here ever had to deal with selling a building and then removing it from the property?

What I'm dealing with here is settling an estate. The building in question is a 1990 Morton, 42' X 60' with 12' clear span pole barn. It has no floor or electrical service. The reason it has to be removed from the property is because where I live you can't sell what's called an accessory building on a piece of vacant land. It's a nice building and would be a shame to tear it down.

I'm thinking of selling it for someone to disassemble and reassemble somewhere else.

Thanks!
Todd

Why not pour a slab and run electrical to it and sell as non-vacant land? Sounds like a strange law, a property with a building is always more desirable any place I have shopped. If you sell where the buyer removes, it might be wise to require insurance, or at least have a lawster draw up liability waiver.

kustomizer

It took some doing but we were able to get a variance from the planning department then sell ours with the property, may be worth some effort?

thermite

Thanks!
Todd

Ermmm..

Lovely "win-win" .. if you can match up a BUYER.

- take-apart, tote, re-erect 'seeker' is hard to find in present 'wait and see if it gets worse" economy?

- a variance, BTW, can take a year out East. present snail's pace of COVID affected "stuff". Here, we'd be at the mercy not only of 'adjacent" property owners, but the general community opposing. Or not.

Smaller structure by a great deal. Pre 1900 residence, Northside Pittsburgh. Three generations on? The 'most-recent' Executor (Ich) second one to be stuck with the bleepin' vacant lot ... nobody wants. Not even re-devel NGO's, charities, nor churches.

- "Demo permit", pro contractor, straight demo, haul-away, site clean-up to City Inspection sign-off ... is what previous holder did @ $15,000 20 years ago.

So at least these last 20-odd years of taxes have been lower and no "squatter" or crack-house risk.

If nothing else? Straight demo was faster, more quantifiable. Fewer "gotcha's"

Hopefully your LAND can be moved more easily than THAT, but... with relatives in Michigan?

I can't class it the most "dynamic" of markets?

You could be "fortunate" if it costs the Estate less that $15,000 to "be done with it".

You have described a simpler structure, even if larger, but 20 years have passed...

This latest go changed nada on the ground, but still ran $8,700 in PA Lawster legal & Court fees (PA is a rip-off, but Michigan is no paragon of cheap-Legal virtue, either) just to sort an hostile Heir and over a disclaimer, at that.

Hopefully, you at least do not have an Hostile Heir in your - toilet-bowl.

:(

How about you spray-paint it bright Copper metallic, light clear-coat, put up signs:

"Copper Thieves will be Proctologized to the Fullest Insert of the LAW"..

.. and see if it is even still there the following weekend?

You ARE in Michigan?

:D

SIP6A

Why not pour a slab and run electrical to it and sell as non-vacant land?

Where I live here in southeast MI your not allowed to have an "accessory building" on vacant land. An accessory building is any building that's not a residence. If I did the work you suggested it still would be considered an accessory building.

kustomizer

Where I live here in southeast MI your not allowed to have an "accessory building" on vacant land. An accessory building is any building that's not a residence. If I did the work you suggested it still would be considered an accessory building.

Did it just show up one night?

SIP6A

It took some doing but we were able to get a variance from the planning department then sell ours with the property, may be worth some effort?

I wrought up a request and before I submitted it I ran it by the lawyer She said she didn't think it would be approved. So went to plan "B" which is we find a buyer thats wants to buy the land and willing to get a building permit before the land is divided. This will cut down the potential pool of potential buyers considerable. Hence looking into selling the building and having it removed.

thermite

Did it just show up one night?

Sounded to me as if he was up to hiving-off?

Subdivide would sever it from the coverage of a permit-OK structure on the other portion. Sis in Berrien County had to demo a perfectly legal garage. It was in bad enough shape to where new was cheaper than repair, but she just wanted to move the house faster, so left only the slab.

Does sound as if he has a Lawster with 'local' experience as to what will fly or not. That's a positive sign.

2CW

SIP6A

Lovely "win-win" .. if you can match up a BUYER

True.

A variance, BTW, can take a year out East. present snail's pace of COVID affected "stuff"

Not too bad here in Michigan, you write up you request and go before the zoning board at there monthly meeting. You get a yes or no answer at the meeting.

You could be "fortunate" if it costs the Estate less that $15,000 to "be done with it".

Why I'm thinking of selling. Even If I only get a couple of thousand dollars for it, it's gone and the property is much easier to sell.

Hopefully, you at least do not have an Hostile Heir in your - toilet-bowl

No, just myself and my sister we have always gotten along well.

How about you spray-paint it bright Copper metallic, light clear-coat, put up signs:

"Copper Thieves will be Proctologized to the Fullest Insert of the LAW"..

.. and see if it is even still there the following weekend?

Now this I like.

You ARE in Michigan?

Yes, Lambertville, michigan 48144

thermite

No, I put it up in 1990 on Moms land. The land has to be split in two pieces and the one with the building on it has to be sold.

Ermmm. I had the luxury of a simple "Equal thirds" LWT with NO specifics on any part of the Estate, otherwise. Not even a mention of real or other property in the LWT.

Free hand as to the details, IOW.

SO LONG AS a "family agreement" went forward to the Court in due and proper form. Did a mutually agreeable divvy-up.adjusted with modest cash for the variance. THAT part was done. Well.. after seven revisions, anyway!

That's a valid option if heirs wish to do something other than LWT specifies, HERE in Virginia.

But VA & WV don't use the same Probate Law as ANY other US States.

And you may not WANT to make a change.

Jest sayin'

GregSY

By your definition, any business structure would be an accessory building. It's not legal to sell land with a business on it?

A Morton building has poles that go into the soil 3 to 8 feet down. You'd have to either cut them off (which would make it hard to re-use the building) or pull them out (which would be very difficult without ruining something).

SIP6A

By your definition, any business structure would be an accessory building. It's not legal to sell land with a business on it?

No, a building with a business in it is commercial real estate completely different. This property is zoned Ag2

A Morton building has poles that go into the soil 3 to 8 feet down. You'd have to either cut them off (which would make it hard to re-use the building) or pull them out (which would be very difficult without ruining something).

The way a Morton building is built that wouldn't be a problem. The vertical post are made of three planks laminated together above ground. Below ground there three Wolmanized planks. You would just cut them off at ground level and order new planks from morton and install at the new location. When the building is gone go in with a forklift and pull them out and fill in the hole. (there down 3') Morton building are about the only pole barns that are worth the trouble to move,

surplusjohn

i would call the local Morton dealer, perhaps they would have a customer for it. back in the 70s my Father needed a warehouse for just a few years and they leased it with the provision that Agway would take it back at the end of the lease. but anyway, the Morton guy would know who is looking for a bargin and would be equiped to do the work.

thermite

Not too bad here in Michigan, you write up you request and go before the zoning board at there monthly meeting. You get a yes or no answer at the meeting.
We have to go though published notices, including a big-ass signboard at property perimeter inviting public comment during the "open season' for that.

Only THEN can it go forward. PITA, but it DOES make for nicer suburbs.

Previous owner got the garage/annex approved only after legals committing to the adjacent property that he, now I, would power a yard light "forever".

I'm 31 years here now. Few years back, wearied of that four "shorter term" next-door owners in!

Nela Park schooled? Use it or lose it.

Put up an Old Skewl industrial-sized pee-bringer of a low-pressure Sodium Vapour rig that lighted up his dining, living, kitchen, and hallway all night with that odd monochromatic yellow ...like some sci-fi movie set!

Nice guy.

"Could we ask that you turn that light OFF, please?"
So we did!

End of problem ... given the record of the odd condition is now approaching 40 years old!

:)

Why I'm thinking of selling. Even If I only get a couple of thousand dollars for it, it's gone and the property is much easier to sell.

Mum was 30 years trying to do "something" with that Pittsburgh "ancestral home". I'm five years in. Can't GIVE it way. Pittsburgh has over FOURTEEN THOUSAND like it.

Industry shifted. Seen that movie in Michigan, too?
Wise if you move it sooner, rather than later?
Betcherazz!

No, just myself and my sister we have always gotten along well.

You should sacrifice a goat.. or see if y'all can also walk on water?

Probate Staff over t' the Courthouse just sorta grin and cackle each time my one pulls yet-another insane stunt.

Second-gen of my Lawsters laughs, "Seems like there's one in EVERY family!"

:(

"I'll see you in COURT!!"

"C__? I'm an OFFICER of our Court! You have BEEN "in Court" the whole time! We do not WANT you in a Court "ROOM"!

"You thought you were in DISNEYLAND when Judge F__ ruled against your last 'martyrfragme" attempt to wind up "Clerk of Court" as if he was but some elderly GS5 with the most wore-out lead pencils?"

"Clerk of Court" in the Old Dominion is a LOT CLOSER to Master and Commander of an Aircraft Carrier Battle Group, dummy! Look it up!"

Same legendary-merciful Judge F__ one of many in Clerk of Court's arsenal.. .. had sentenced a scumbag to
"Life without Parole" about a month earlier.

Probate weren't his only expertise.

It would be comical as f**k if it were not such a tiring pain in the anatomy...
Count yer blessings!

Now this I like.
Only half a joke.

When my kid Brother took on the Depute Law Librarian role at Millbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy, One Chase Manhattan Plaza, a "Virgin" to New York City life?

A new workmate saved his ass!

Took him to buy "the right" clothing. And picked out a certain type of shoes.

"Now all the street thugs and muggers will scarper-off 'round the corner when you walk home."

"Heads up! Here comes another G-Dam undercover NARC!

"Dumb asses think we cannot recognize them by the suits they wear and those damned SHOES?

Same wise-guy showed him how to double bag and cheap box his kitchen garbige, Put cheap white gift wrap paper around it with cheap ribbon.

And have it reliably STOLEN.... week after week!

Good training, given Brudder's NEXT major perch was in Heliopolis, EGYPT the next dozen Sadat, then Mubarak, years !

Yes, Lambertville, michigan 48144

"Glass houses" we live in these days. Every one among us.

May as well take advantage of that - if not now, then some other day?

Zillow:

307 Temporary Redirect

Trulia:

Lambertville, MI Homes For Sale & Lambertville, MI Real Estate | Trulia

Superbowl

Maybe you can buy an old mobile home. Move it there, put it on blocks, remove the axles and presto changeo you now have land with a house on it to sell.

thermite

Maybe you can buy an old mobile home. Move it there, put it on blocks, remove the axles and presto changeo you now have land with a house on it to sell.

Prolem wit' dat' is the guy livin' in the "real house"" might hunt him down and beat the s**t out of him with a sweaty steal-toad boot .... for ruinin' the neighbourhood..

Mcgyver

Yeah, send this link to the next guy who talks about freedom or a free country. Its no better here, but not being able to sell land with whatever structures are on it seems beyond bizarre. Makes me think the OP or I are missing some major part of this.

dalmatiangirl61

Wow, in Texas and Nevada we just call buildings on Ag land barns, if the new owner does not want it, its up to them to remove it.

gustafson

Not saying no one will buy it, but it is probably a dumb idea [for them]

You really cannot sell a piece of property with a building on it that was legally built?

That seems odd.

I can see not being able to occupy said building, but not being able to sell it?

Realtors and Lawyers are idjits, be sure they are sure of the realities.

Here in the peoples republic, one could sell a 1 square foot lot of one chose. You cannot occupy it. Build on it. Do anything with it. But you could sell it.

Let us say you owned a billion acres.
Your neighbor owned .499 acres

They rezoned making .50 acres the minumum lot size.

You cannot sell your neighbor .01 acres as a favor? Even though it is not a legal lot?

Hmmmm

I will believe you cannot 'build' an accessory building without a primary building, but it is difficult to believe you cannot 'sell' said property.

What I think, not knowing, is most likely:

As soon as you subdivide, the building is not legally occupiable.

Once you build a house on it, the previous building would be legally occupiable.

But to prevent the transfer?

Seems unlikely

Consider the example of a piece of property with a condemned house on it. Legally condemned, big red x sign on the outside.

What, you cannot sell it?

I think not