What's new
What's new

OT: Snowplows for pickups

Fisher and Meyers, in that order, are the most commonly used brands around here. Westerns and Diamonds for larger plows

I have a steep, 1/4 mile driveway that no one else wants to plow because they'd have to plow up just to get in. So I have an '86 Ford 3/4 ton Ford, automatic, chains all around, w/ an 8' Fisher on it that doesn't leave the property. Rusty, manual brakes (drop the plow :-) ) Works great. And the tractor (4500 JD with Norse chains all around in the winter, bucket loader and a logging winch) gets used to push the banks back and do work around the dooryard that's hard to plow.

I'm not fond of automatics, but for plowing they're great. There are just too many controls to handle otherwise. If you need a plow rig that doesn't need to be registered - a used 3/4 ton or bigger truck that can't pass inspection is pretty cheap around here, even with a plow on it. I've got about $500 in mine and of course, am constantly working on it.

If I had a much shorter driveway, I'd just plow with the tractor. With a bucket loader, they're way more useful around the place than a truck.

Wanna drive around all winter with the blade on? You won't like the ride, your truck won't like the weight, the gas stations will love you though.

If not, you need a place to drop the plow, with access to mount it as needed. If you can't get the plow on before the snow starts, you'll need to shovel out access to it. And maybe some room around the truck to turn it so you can begin plowing.

Takes some practice to learn how to plow without scarring the driveway, do you want your driveway to be the learning ground?

$1300 will buy you a damn nice used snowblower.

I can't think of a better or faster way to make a nice pickup a shitty pickup, than putting a plow on it.

I've got a lot of area to plow, and have tried it all from an atv with plow, tractor with blade/rear snowblower, walk behind snowblower, but 3 years ago I picked up a 1987 jeep YJ with an arctic poly plow for $700, and will never go back to the others*. The jeep is almost as maneuverable as the atv, only it comes with a heater, radio, and cupholder. and I can fire the kids inside and they can join me for the fun. The hydraulic pump was shot, so i just put a winch on it to raise and lower. To angle I have to get out, pull a pin and move it by hand.

All my stuff is old junk, so while the jeep is my first line of defense I still have all the other snow weapons at the ready should the jeep break down.

*the only other thing I'd like to build is a snowblower for the front of my Yamaha viking. I've got access to my property via private driveway that the neighbor owns. It's over 1/4 mile long and she does it all herself with a honda tracked snowblower. She doesn't like it when I plow it with the jeep because the banks build up. She's around 65 and is a stubborn as a mule, but would out work 3 teenagers. I've been dreaming up making a hydraulically powered (Hydraulic because I already have engine, pump and hydraulic motor) front mounted snowblower wide enough to do the whole shebang in two passes. I picked up a walk behind last year to help her out but would rather have something the kids can come with me. Seems the only time I have to plow is when the wife is at work and I'm alone with the kids (3.5/5).

In short. Look for a used pickup or jeep with a plow already. They can be had for dirt cheap, and you don't destroy your good truck.

In short. Look for a used pickup or jeep with a plow already. They can be had for dirt cheap, and you don't destroy your good truck.

And when you park it in the aforementioned 30' x 40' driveway, it'll keep the snow from piling up
in at least 1/3 of the total area.....

No, the 30'x40' is the new house (which is just a guesstimate). The current house is much longer and most of the driveway is sloped.

The gas snowblower takes a lot of manhandling to make it turn. It tends to ride over the snow a lot of times. The triggers on each hand take a bit of force to keep depressed, which gets to be a pain after an hour of use.

It is an Ariens ST724
http://www.greenacres4u.com/Power Equipment/724_ariens.htm

Okay,

So you are asking about a snow plow for your truck that you don't want to mess up so that you can plow the snow off of your driveway.

If you buy a used plow, you will still need to buy a mount kit and either install it yourself or have someone install it for you for even more dollars.

The real issue is your existing snowblower is hard to handle.

Solution: Get anew and better snowblower.

Okay,

So you are asking about a snow plow for your truck that you don't want to mess up so that you can plow the snow off of your driveway.

If you buy a used plow, you will still need to buy a mount kit and either install it yourself or have someone install it for you for even more dollars.

The real issue is your existing snowblower is hard to handle.

Solution: Get anew and better snowblower.

NO !
The solution is to simply get a 6 month H1B visa for someone from Sri Lanka...have them
shovel the drive...send them home in May.

Meyer plows are the original, and still among the best. I have one on my '68 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4.
Truck & plow.jpg
They are heavy, and proper attachment is very important to minimize the possibility of damage.

If I may suggest a simpler alternative, build a pull plow. Here's mine (sorry, we just had our first snow last night).

WP_20171117_08_31_46_Rich[1].jpg

It's made from 2x10's with angle iron on the leading bottom edges. It requires 2 attachment points, the first is a short piece of chain or rope attaching the center of the vee to the center of the vehicle (hitch), the second is a longer piece of chain or rope attached about where the cross-brace is and hooked to the vehicle somewhere out towards the wheel. The center attachment must be short to control side-to-side swing. Even though I have the Meyer, I like this one better. It does a nice job of grooming the driveway (I like to leave a couple inches of snow) without tearing it up and I can tow it with my 4wd Civic Wagon.

P1010337.jpg

The downside is you can't back up (much), so you must be able to make a u-turn at each end of your run. I'm working on a way to lift it when I need to back up. Put a box on the cross-brace for additional weight (rocks, concrete blocks). It has it's limitations, but it's cheap and useful.

NO !
The solution is to simply get a 6 month H1B visa for someone from Sri Lanka...have them
shovel the drive...send them home in May.

I am trying to make things easier....not harder...., and don't want to wait for someone to do the job.

The plow on a pickup, in my estimation would clear the driveway in a few passes. I also have my storage garage (where I store my machines) to plow. But now I am undecided.

Having read the replies, I don't think I will plow residences in the vicinity; for money.
But just my driveway and a few neighbors (out of courtesy) seems like it shouldn't cause wear-n-tear issues??

Original plan was getting a snowblower attachment for the riding mower, but then thought I could just get a used plow for a little more, and not have to face the elements.

Original plan was getting a snowblower attachment for the riding mower, but then thought I could just get a used plow for a little more, and not have to face the elements.

I went the tractor mounted blower route, for one winter. It is basically the definition of COLD! To remedy the problem, I scratch built a heated cab. Now, I'm living the dream! Very efficient and effortless snow removal method. Walk behind machines can be a real workout. If you do go the walk-behind route, I'd recommend the Honda tracked machines. They are, without a doubt, the finest machines you can buy!

IMG_2104.jpg

Fisher and Meyers are not popular here. Here we have Western and BOSS. You'll probably end up with one of those two. We have two plow trucks for our business, a 3/4 ton and a 1 ton. 1/2 ton is too small to plow snow. Tried that once and broke the front suspension, don't do it. Digger you do know that Spud is from Sri Lanka right? Sounds like you have the truck. If you get a used plow you will probably still have to buy a mounting kit for the truck. Seems that every make, model, and year of truck needs a slightly different mounting kit. We just paid $1,000 for a mount kit and install on a new 3/4 ton Ford. That price included the wiring harness and control gear and all the crap that goes with it. I used Auto Elegance (I know, sounds fishy) but they are just down the road from you on Watertown Rd. You may want to check them out.

What are some good snowplow brands; for 3/4 ton and 1 ton diesel pickup trucks?

Straight blade or v-plow?

Is it hard on pickups? Just got a 2013 4x4 2500HD diesel Silverado, which is in really nice shape, so do not want to abuse it.

Oh man, you guys must drive with a lead boot on. If you are operating your own equipment and are not a idiot you will be fine. If doing many you have to pre walk the DW and related area and make maps of trouble spots. Around here a simple drive way "aint" 40 bucks, maybe 80 IF anyone will do it until they are caught up. Ive had plows for 20 years and like having the ability to do it my way, the right way.

Now all that said I have seen plenty of idiots bashing the hell out of their trucks (or the owners) for little gain. Keeps the parts stores in business.

First I would disregard anyone who has commented that has never owned a Plow Truck. There is a lot of non-factual based opinions above.

Secondly if you have a Truck with a Plow Prep Package from the factory I will assume it is being used for it's intended use with a factory endorsement.

I have owned 2 Plow Trucks. First was a 2003 GMC HD2500 Duramax with a Hiniker 89 foot Straight Blade. Faithfully plowed winter until it had 240000 miles on it. Note I did take the plow off when not plowing. Takes about a minute. Never had a Transmission Problem, never a front end problem related to the Plow. I did have to replace a Shift Indicator Plate on the truck twice. $79.00 for the parts and about 10 minutes of my time. The Minnesota Salt killed that truck. Not the Plow. It is still in service today plowing a Gas Station Lot.

Last year I bought a 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax and a Boss Plow with a trip edge. If I had to do it over again I would not have gotten the trip edge. It works perfect. I do unhook it when I am done plowing. Takes about 1 minute. Hook up takes about 2 minutes.

Plowing is a skill just like Machining. You can give a guy the best piece of equipment and he will trash it in 5 minutes. Same goes with a plow truck.

They are expensive. Buying used is an option but you have to make sure all the parts and wiring are there and it is specific to your truck if you want the Lights to function properly. If taken care of they will last the life of your truck and then some.

That is a tiny area. Snowblower is the way to go IMO. One of my co workers has a Kubota BX2670 tractor with a front mounted blower. He loves the thing. I use a 1336 Ariens walk behind for an area slightly larger than yours.

I for one hate plowing snow with a pickup truck. We clear the shop lot with a 2012 Chevy 3500 that has had to have the frame welded behind the control arm mounts on both sides. My boss bought it after GM told the original owner that they wouldn't warranty the broken frame (at 12,000 miles) because of the plow (Boss V plow, heavy bastards). Plowing beats up pickups, my day job is a mechanic and I see pounded and broken plow trucks all winter long, granted some are driven by apes that could wreck anything, but plowing is hard on them regardless. I prefer to use the shop's Kubota SVL90 skid steer over the 3500 pickup.

Just my opinion from what I experience in the Western U.P. of Michigan.

We have an 8’ western on the ultra mount. Drive in, throw 2 levers, connect the harness and you are ready to plow. The new ones are less intrusive to the truck than the old stuff. It’s as hard on the truck as the driver,,,,, if your truck is your pride and joy,,, mount on a truck you don’t love. Sooner or later you treat a plow truck like a Tool,,,,and that’s when trouble starts.

Back