What's new
What's new

OT: The Evolution of Bacteria on a "Mega-Plate" Petri Dish (Kishony Lab)

Although I isolate as much as possible for personal enjoyment, I sure hate seeing someone isolate themselves out of fear of COVID. There's absolutely nothing special about COVID....it's just one a hundred diseases that can (possibly) kill you.

Although California conducts itself with criminality when it comes to stealing water from other areas....I generally see the fight over water as being political and economic way before it is one of actual paucity. The Earth has lots of water.....even if it needs to be desalinated first. The real crisis we face as a society is general stupidity and general laziness. Humankind will eat itself long before it runs out of water.

...The Earth has lots of water.....even if it needs to be desalinated first. The real crisis we face as a society is general stupidity and general laziness. Humankind will eat itself long before it runs out of water.

Sounds great, YOU'RE elected to tell agribusiness they can no longer pump the Olgallala Aquifer, and have to PAY for desallinated water for irrigation.

Not lazy. Not stupid. It's DOLLARS that are driving the issue. That aquifer is most definitely NOT repeat NOT "lots of water" and is going away. It is stupid and lazy to ignore this.

qt [but the local government beats to death the idea that watering your yard is the problem.] like chemical toilets in Michigan as if we need to save water in Michigan.
Reasons for the government to spend tax money so politicians can put more in their pockets, They may become millionaires in a few years with their income not anywhere that much.
Don't worry about food, water or Global Warming because our stupid governments will likely have us in another huge war that may wipe out half the population in just a few years, perhaps a few months.

I think I am over my mild covid illness now, likely taking a home test in a few days.

We still don't know clearly if the vaccines are good or not with so much fake news out there.
Yes, I had the vaccination. ops ..Covid flu shot.

I'm not suggesting the stupid and lazy relates to water or even any business. I'm suggesting the stupid and lazy people of the world will drag the whole planet down long before we run out of fresh water. Or oil. The basic rise of stupidity and laziness across our country is a far bigger concern.

I'm not suggesting the stupid and lazy relates to water or even any business. I'm suggesting the stupid and lazy people of the world will drag the whole planet down long before we run out of fresh water. Or oil. The basic rise of stupidity and laziness across our country is a far bigger concern.

Fair enough - my view is the larger threat is the companies like agribusiness (using political power to drain the Olgallala aquifer) or coal companies like Duke Energy (polluting watercourses with coal ash) will drag the US to the bottom just to boost their sharehoder ROI. AKA fuck the public good we gotta make money.

They didn't say, but they probably autoclave all bio waste.

It basically comes from evolutionary genetics studies using the epidemic models one hears so much about these days. One sets up a cloud of epi models with a mutation process (or vice versa, depending on which community is doing the study), and let it rip for a few thousand generations, ultimately achieving stability. Whatever strategy dominates after 1000 generations wins. One also follows the process of getting there.

These kinds of studies predict that a pathogen that is too lethal kills its hosts off too fast to reliably infect the next wave, allowing the less-lethal mutants win. The other thing that helps is having a long period where the infected hosts are infectious but not yet sick, so the hosts go about their business blithely, spreading joy.

This is what the theory says. It turns out that over history, most diseases followed just such a course. Such as the flu.

Small Pox?
Marburg?
Anthrax?
Rabies?

Today I saw on the news that a genetically altered pigs heart has been installed in a human. That sort of tech can be used to achieve a lot of good, and a lot of bad.

Agricultural run off from slurry pits ( cow shite) have a nasty habit of buggering up watercourses, as do fertiliser both causing this toxic blue green algae blooms, seafood getting contaminated also think Maine or Brunswick I read recently quite a few deaths though they aren’t admitting run off as yet
Mind the toxicity gets into the food chain
Mark

NEWS IS SO FULL OF FULL OF CONTRADICTIONS THAT ONE CAN FIND SUPPORT FOR ANY NOTION THEY CHOOSE.

"Jimmy Durante' Used to say "Everybody wants to get into the act."

researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital
Not good without the booster Dec 14 2021
they found the two-dose Pfizer and AstraZeneca (AZN.L) COVID-19 vaccine regimens do not induce enough neutralizing antibodies against the new variant.

Cleveland Clinic 5,000 people study jne 8 2021
The study findings reveal that individuals with previous SARS-CoV-2 infection do not get additional benefits from vaccination, indicating that COVID-19 vaccines should be prioritized to individuals without prior infection.

A new CDC (june7 2021)study finds the mRNA COVID-19 vaccines authorized by the Food and Drug Administration (Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna) reduce the risk of infection by 91 percent for fully vaccinated people.

^^^ and this is exactly why doctors who are up to date in their reading should be your source of information.

Omicron and residual Delta have changed the game. Quoting studies published in June 2021 done with only 5000 people that are irrelevant now isn’t useful.

I’m not meaning to be rude or dismissive, but really, there is a reason you shouldn’t trust a guy like me who’s not an engineer to do a beam calculation. Or run a high end CNC anything. Doctors, esp the ones who deal with covid have the needed knowledge and perspective. I’m glad people are reading up on covid and other health matters, but please realize how much background knowledge is needed to separate helpful info from out of date irrelevance or just plain bullshit.

As of today, the best protection against residual delta and the surge of omicron is being triple vaxxed with an mRNA vaccine and wearing a medical mask while in public. The current vaccine was not designed for omicron and not surprisingly isn’t as good for it as previous strains. Still much better than nothing. Do you want to play Russian roulette with your health? I don’t, and I’m up close and personal with covid daily.

L7

I have a family full of doctors and surgeons, in truth it’s not them that’s the problem, it’s epidemiologists and statisticians, so far as I know, none of them have got their predictions even remotely close ( take sage, the science lol of British government) hopeless, none of mr Neil furgesons models are remotely close but it’s what our government listens to, any criticism is immediately crushed by them who must be obeyed.
Mark

Yeah, kind of agree. I have a lot of empathy for epidemiologists. Trying to make predictions based on incomplete data and flawed assumptions is a mugs game. They do make weather forecasters look good. ;-)

L7

There are two ways a disease can succeed. One is by becoming less likely to kill the host, obviously. The other is by becoming very contagious, so that even though it kills the host very quickly, it still spreads to new hosts fast enough to multiply. Diseases like "the plague" went that way. They did well, and still exist in the US, mostly out west in various rodents, just waiting to spread to the rest of us.

Yes, many of the folks getting sick now are vaccinated.... Omicron evades the vaccine better, so it is the only version able to infect most vaccinated people. So vaccinated can get sick just like others, but not as sick. That "natural immunity" to original covid, or to delta, doesn't work very well on omicron either, so if you had the others, you'll get omicron soon.

The stupid thing about covid is that if back in 2020 we had controlled the borders, forcing a quarantine on all coming in, and had done about 8 weeks (probably) of targeted mask-wearing and restrictions wherever there was an outbreak, we'd not be where we are.

But, 2 years of pathetic politically limited half-measures, just enough to piss everyone off, but not enough to do any good,, have just pissed everyone off, without really helping at all.

I shouldn't say it has not helped.... It killed off a lot of "useless expensive people" (on medicare, medicaid, social security, etc), which may have been the goal.

Now nobody wants to even hear about controlling covid. The Governor of Missouri, for instance, just basically "declared" that "covid is over and done with", while the hospitals here have more folks packed into them than were in hospital at the last peak. Smart man....????

It would be good if the "experts" would clearly and plainly say that they don't know yet, when that is the case. Too many make statements with weak disclaimers that nobody notices, which then makes them look like they were dead wrong....... That makes people disbelieve everything they say, which is the beginning of the problem.

Then you have political hacks trying to find every tiny mistake, so that they can get ahead politically by pouncing on those and trumpeting them to the world as "proof that the doctors have been lying". It's worse when those hacks don't know what they are talking about, but basically make it up as they go along.

And then you have doctors whose field is surgery, or anesthesiology, etc, talking about covid as if they knew as much as the infectious disease researchers. "After all he's a doctor, and look, HE says this is all a crock of crap"...... That is a great way to get people to believe the medical profession as a whole.

a few tactical nukes would do it.... one on Bentonvlle Arkansas, just on general principles. One for facebook HQ, plus some for their server farms. Maybe a few for google. Done, problems dealt with.

Sorry to hear that, hope you get better! I've been isolating at a level few could endure, projects and exercise (hiking the mountains and firewood) have kept me from going bonkers, I think... I was fully prepared for 2 years, questioning if I can handle another without getting too strange:D

I had to get a good gaming computer to run Mastercam, with a GeForce 3070 card in it. I got a Valve Index virtual reality setup, and have started playing Beat Saber to get some exercise. Got about two weeks in, and I think it's starting to do some good. Got the wife to try it out yesterday too. Kids are doing remote schooling (25% of faculty out sick!) starting tomorrow, so I'm sure they'll be all over me for their turn.

VR zombie shooting is fun too, though not nearly as good exercise.

Last edited:

Back