What's new
What's new

OT: USPS international shipping tracking

Luke Rickert

Hot Rolled
I sent a new brake coil for my schaublin 135 lathe from Seattle to Oslo Norway a couple weeks ago "priority". The last check shows it is in Melbourne Australia which makes no sense at all. You can't really go much more out of the way. Has anyone seen anything like this? Figure either the tracking system is messed up or the USPS is on crack : ) The tracking number comes straight out of the auto email used by my forwarder so that should be correct.

Thanks
Luke

Of the 100s of international shipments we have made with UPS only one has gone for that kind of ride. So my experience it is not normal.

USPS & UPS are not the same entity.

In their defense, with the incredible volume of traffic that they both see, I am amazed that they do so well.

That being said, when I have problems with USPS, it is usually AU.

Lee (the saw guy)

Thanks FredC, I forgot to mention it was in Dubai before AU, Dubai kind of makes sense if they are going to go the wrong way around the globe from Seattle by air since it is a major hub but why the hell go back to AU? I have sent a good number of packages from the States to Norway and never seen anything quite like this. Sure hope it makes it here somehow, I really need that part and the other stuff I added to that flat rate box. I thought it would be faster and cheaper to buy it in the States and then ship it direct rather than have a dealer here order it for me (it is a Warner Electric from Minnesota, seems like an odd choice for a Swiss company to go with but anyway) For shipping into Norway I have found DHL to be the best although the sample size might not be significant and the US isn't really their main area. In hind sight I should have had someone going home for Christmas bring it back.

L

Figure either the tracking system is messed up or the USPS is on crack : )

Probably both. I've had USPS packages disappear from tracking for lengthy periods, then show up unexpectedly in odd places before finally being delivered. The only one that didn't show up at all was an incoming domestic package, 2 boxes shipped at the same time only one arrived. Outside the US, all sorts of odd things happen but so far they've all been delivered.(maybe 40 or 50 shipments so far.)

USPS & UPS are not the same entity.

Lee (the saw guy)
Whoops! I saw it wrong. Much less experience with USPS. One package to the UK took more than a month to get there, the customer and I were making arrangements to replace the shipment when it finally got there. Maybe it went on a joy ride also.
It is out of the US Post Office hands when it leaves this country. May be some of the others have been misrouting it? Perhaps part of the label is the label is damaged or unreadable on the destination address?

Christmas season is the worst possible time to be shipping goods. If you saw what goes on at the docks, you'd be surprised that half the item's reached their destination in one piece.

SAF Ω

I usually use USPS due to cost. They are darn good on price and delivery. In all of the several thou shipments that I have made, only one has been totally lost.
The tracking number is unique for each one, and regardless of the carrier, it identifies the package.

The items that I ship tend to be light weight, and I use a 12" square pizza box as the package. Food related items tend to be less expensive and in the quantities that I ship, it becomes a significant cost.

Lee (the saw guy)

I ship a fair amount of stuff USPS international and domestic priority mail.
They do re-use numbers, and sometimes the old label number shows up, I've seen that happen a couple of times.
As someone noted above, sometimes things go astray after they leave the US - actually once in a they go astray even in the US. Nearly every time, they will show up at the proper destination, sooner or later.
I wish I could give you absolute information, but since people are involved, and not all are motivated to do their job, weird stuff happens. Making phone calls, asking for tracking etc, can sometimes make a difference.
Good luck!

Really? I made two shipments in the Christmas season. Both went via USPS from Texas to Missouri and California. Both arrived ahead of schedule. I did both on the web and they had printed shipping labels. Perhaps the printed labels helped. No human had to read a hand printed label.

Seems to me that the USPS is bending over backwards to keep on or ahead of schedule for the Christmas rush.

Christmas season is the worst possible time to be shipping goods. If you saw what goes on at the docks, you'd be surprised that half the item's reached their destination in one piece.

SAF Ω

I shipped several packages inside the U.S. for Christmas via USPS. The printer at the post office screwed up and printed a priority label, but no tracking number. The clerk messed with it and never could get it to work. "Sorry, guess you don't get a tracking number for that one." Still don't know if it arrived because I just learned that the recipient was out of town.

I shipped several packages inside the U.S. for Christmas via USPS. The printer at the post office screwed up and printed a priority label, but no tracking number. The clerk messed with it and never could get it to work. "Sorry, guess you don't get a tracking number for that one." Still don't know if it arrived because I just learned that the recipient was out of town.
You can go to USPS.com and pre-print labels, with bar code. Pay with credit card or paypal. Super easy. Flat rate boxes are your friend. You'll also get a discount on the counter price, and free tracking. You can use regular paper, and tape over them with clear tape. That way you don't have to hope for a motivated and qualified person at the counter.

Whidbey

Did you track both on EMS website and Norske post
Not that long ago I had something missing and then I looked at post nl with the provided trackingnr and found out it was at a nearby postoffice for 14 days already

Peter

BTW nobody seems to be aware of EMS although the USPS is a full member

Whidbey

Did you track both on EMS website and Norske post
Not that long ago I had something missing and then I looked at post nl with the provided trackingnr and found out it was at a nearby postoffice for 14 days already

Peter

BTW nobody seems to be aware of EMS although the USPS is a full member
EMS can't track the number I have and the Norwegian post just shows that it started, if it gets here it will let me know. Guess I am stuck watching USPS.
L
I ship a fair amount of stuff USPS international and domestic priority mail.
They do re-use numbers, and sometimes the old label number shows up, I've seen that happen a couple of times.
As someone noted above, sometimes things go astray after they leave the US - actually once in a they go astray even in the US. Nearly every time, they will show up at the proper destination, sooner or later.
I wish I could give you absolute information, but since people are involved, and not all are motivated to do their job, weird stuff happens. Making phone calls, asking for tracking etc, can sometimes make a difference.
Good luck!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

If it's any consolation, in the early 1970's I ordered some posters from NASA in the US, to be posted to me in Ashburton, Devon, England. Three months later they arrived with a note from the Asburton New Zealand post office saying there was no such person or address in their town! :eek:

If it's any consolation, in the early 1970's I ordered some posters from NASA in the US, to be posted to me in Ashburton, Devon, England. Three months later they arrived with a note from the Asburton New Zealand post office saying there was no such person or address in their town! :eek:
If I didn't need the part to make my lathe usable it would be more entertaining but as the 135 is my only screw cutting lathe and you can't cut threads with that machine without a brake it is a problem :) I don't think there are any Oslo's in AU. There are one or more in the US but it made it out of there anyway. It is a bar code type label so that should avoid human reading error at least.

Hopefully they don't send it to South Africa next :)

L

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The last check shows it is in Melbourne Australia which makes no sense at all. You can't really go much more out of the way.
Happens all the time. Did they hand write the address? The auto scanners get Austria & Australia pent up, so it sent it South.

I always print out address labels.

You can go to USPS.com and pre-print labels, with bar code. Pay with credit card or paypal. Super easy. Flat rate boxes are your friend. You'll also get a discount on the counter price, and free tracking. You can use regular paper, and tape over them with clear tape. That way you don't have to hope for a motivated and qualified person at the counter.

How do you get the discount? It used to be automatic, but changed about a year ago and I haven't got a discount since :confused:
Ted

I've had one USPS international shipment disappear. That was before they did tracking for 1st class international so I had no recourse.

Follow the routing on this one and see what kind of shenanigans you can get from USPS international: USPS.com(R) - USPS Tracking(R).

I generally have good luck with USPS, but that one was something else.

Eric U

Back