What's new
What's new

OT: What are Reaction Score and Points?

You guys got it easy....on a canal boat forum,I put on a funny comment ,(no bad words or disputation ,both banned)......anyhoo,this old female mod went crazy ,hacked all my computer stuff,including emails with giant red demands for a grovelling apology,and basically I had to leave town,digitally speaking.

I just ignore it for the most part. I do think the "likes"
the feature is useful as a quick way to agree with someone or back up their opinion/method of attack though.
Agree, the like button is a good "I agree" reaction. If I dislike something I pull back my third brain cell from strike and write a diatribe or sumptin' like that to convey the reason for disapproval. Other than that, it earns an ignore.

You guys got it easy....on a canal boat forum,I put on a funny comment ,(no bad words or disputation ,both banned)......anyhoo,this old female mod went crazy ,hacked all my computer stuff,including emails with giant red demands for a grovelling apology,and basically I had to leave town,digitally speaking.
It is hard to believe that you could annoy anyone. It is pretty tough when a lady comes after your computer. Wow! Maybe offer jewelry as a apology. 💍

I just ignore it for the most part. I do think the "likes"
feature is useful as a quick way to agree with someone or back up their opinion/method of attack though.

Was wondering about this reaction score as well. If I go into my profile I've got 4042 likes, but I click on my name in a post the reaction score -209. WTF? Nobody is that low. I guess I can be a dickhead sometimes, but someone must have been talking to my wife!

eKretz said:
"Reaction Score" seems to be a running tally of one's posts that get likes and dislikes. Likes add to the score, dislikes subtract from it. For some reason it seems that everybody started with a negative score rather than zero, not sure why that would be.

*Where are the dislikes? are they the Faces? I see anger there but not a dislike.

looks like I have a -72 reaction score and have no idea if that is good or bad.
I had no idea I am so disliked here.

Last edited:
Mine is +28.
Maybe "reacting" to the posts of others has an effect as well?
I'll like everything and see what happens.

Instead of a reaction score they should have a buyer/seller trader rating score. There’s a whole lot of great people here I’d like to give 5 stars to because they were easy to deal with. .

Then there’s a few I’d recommend avoiding completely.

eKretz said:
"Reaction Score" seems to be a running tally of one's posts that get likes and dislikes. Likes add to the score, dislikes subtract from it. For some reason it seems that everybody started with a negative score rather than zero, not sure why that would be.

*Where are the dislikes? are they the Faces? I see anger there but not a dislike.

I wonder if a person can can go back and dislike a big chunk of someone's posts from ages ago and drag their score down.

"...Not that it matters. The PM site might be LESS contentious if ALL of that were made to 'go away' and we simply posted as we saw fit and worried less about the alleged 'prestige" of those whom we might disagree with?..."

I agree 100% with this comment on Likes, not so much because it would make us less contentious (which might be true enough), but because the idea of Likes, and similar, smacks so much of the juvenile vanity that makes "social media" what it is. I have an idea that the twerps who have their pudgy little fingers rummaging around in forum software might just eventually f things up to the point where PM becomes just another homogenized site, and no longer what we now advertise: "the most visited site for metalworking professionals".

-Marty-

I agree 100% with this comment on Likes, not so much because it would make us less contentious (which might be true enough), but because the idea of Likes, and similar, smacks so much of the juvenile vanity that makes "social media" what it is. I have an idea that the twerps who have their pudgy little fingers rummaging around in forum software might just eventually f things up to the point where PM becomes just another homogenized site, and no longer what we now advertise: "the most visited site for metalworking professionals".

-Marty-

I think "likes" should stay. Could not care less if they were counted though. It's good to see if folks agree with someone's opinion - and if so, which ones.

I think "likes" should stay. Could not care less if they were counted though. It's good to see if folks agree with someone's opinion - and if so, which ones.
It does cut down on quoting the whole OP, just to say "Yup I agree".

The dislikes are the anger and shocked faces. But I just checked and they don't subtract from the reaction score. The "positive" ones add to it, but the "negative" ones don't subtract from it. And you're not disliked here Buck, come on now. There's just some weird forum glitch where every longer term member with higher post count started out with a negative reaction score. Myself included. The higher the post count, the higher the negative reaction score.

So, here we are 3 pages into this thread and no answers on this reaction score thing. Where is Milicron? Somebody surely can explain its construct.

I think it's pretty clear. They're basically just the new version of "likes". Any positive version of a reaction adds +1 to reaction score. Any negative version of a reaction does nothing to reaction score.

I think it's pretty clear. They're basically just the new version of "likes". Any positive version of a reaction adds +1 to reaction score. Any negative version of a reaction does nothing to reaction score.
That might be the case going forward. However, there's no apparent logic to the starting points (+ or -) carried over from the old forum.

Personally, I've found the new forum a great time saver. Between the uncomfortable look, changes for changes sake, the foolish default disclosures of personal data, etc -- I find PM less and less a useful source of manufacturing-related information.

That might be the case going forward. However, there's no apparent logic to the starting points (+ or -) carried over from the old forum.
I suspect that it had something to do with the ratio of likes given to received in the old software. Can't verify that though since its all gone.

I suspect that it had something to do with the ratio of likes given to received in the old software. Can't verify that though since its all gone.

I don't think that's exactly it. For instance, I remember good old Emmanuel Goldstein had a decent number of likes received and gave absolutely zero out as I recall. His reaction score is only -72, with 11,000ish posts, I just checked. My reaction score was pretty close to that at the reset, and my ratio of likes received:given was closer to 1:1. Who knows what the actual deal is. I wouldn't worry too much about it. In the mean time, I'll spend a few minutes adding a few likes to Buck's old posts every time I see one to make him feel better... :D

Back