What's new
What's new

OT: what can i use to hollow out a tree stump?

plastikdreams

Diamond
Wife wants to fill a tree stump with dirt and put flowers in it. There's already about a 7" hole in it. What could I use to hollow it out some more...demo hammer?

I did this for my mom, started with skill saw- not recommended, then chain saw- not recommended.

Frustrated hit it a few times with sharp hatchet. Highly recommend. Fast, quite, no Smokey saw dust, and just works.

Is there a way to use one of these, perhaps after modifying the bit to be more effective on wood?

I wonder what wood chisels are good for?
Don't drink too many beers, spend an afternoon doing some work the wife may appreciate.
A well drilling rig would be faster but maybe not have the same end effect as putting in some sweat and labor.

Last edited:
A shovel [hydraulic excavator] is the tool of choice around here, throw stump away, fill hole and top it with a planter or old barrel for flowers and done. lol

Doesn’t have to be round. You could probably just square it out with a chainsaw. Who cares what the bottom looks like.

Might want to drill some drainage holes at the bottom.
I have a hollow stump that collects rainwater. The outside cat drinks out of it.

Unless it's already been stated and I missed it, how close is it to your house. If it's close to the house I would just get rid of that stump. I don't where you are at, but things like carpenter ants and that can make it a pain.

Back