What's new
What's new

OT: What..no tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenton

Hot Rolled
"It's easy to be blinded by what we grew up surrounded with, or know, or just prefer. Other cultures have made significant contributions to civilization, even if they sat differently. In an earlier thread it touched on the development of steel processing in different places. Arab, Islamic culture developed medicine and the concept of zero, The Chinese developed gunpowder. India developed plastic surgery."

This is precisely the kind of pseudo-intellectual bullshit my neighbor warned me about. It's not an issue of being blinded by what we are used to; it's an issue of being blinded by, and having our ears filled up with, bullshit. Here's a concept - sometimes things are actually just flat better than others. No need for 'other perspectives' or 'reimagining.

The contributions to society made by Middle Eastern cultures are dwarfed by those of European, North American, Asian, and even Latin American cultures. It's not even close.

We can smear all the lipstick we want on a pig, but that doesn't make it a 30 year old Andie McDowell. People the world over work in lousy conditions for some very simple reasons - they don't have better conditions, and/or they don't know any better.

Jesus came from the Middle East, Judaism and Islam too. For better or worse pretty big contributions to society.

DDoug

Diamond
Let's start a "GoFlockMe Page" to buy a one way ticket for the OP to go to
said "Nirvana"....:skep:

CalG

Diamond
My take on it is that.....

The use of the floor and squatting on one's heels has not contributed to a lowered appreciation of life, a lowered Quality of life , nor a lessened longevity of life for ..ahh. umm.. the past 10,000 years.

Plus, My guess is that irregularity and sciatic problems are unheard of.

Hey, Pick Your Poison!

Better still is "don't knock it until you can do it!"

Suffering Gout any one?

EPAIII

Diamond
Perhaps it is just me. I have seen a bit of third world conditions and did not find anything surprising about the lack of chairs or tables or benches in that and other videos. I am sure they do have those things but just not in the shop. Probably as much a cost problem as anything else. And that IS the way they are accustomed to doing things. I find nothing surprising or wrong with it.

What I do find surprising and wrong is that they THROW the newly machined parts in a pile, weather that pile is on a table, a bench, the floor, or in a bin. When I take the time to machine a part, I am certainly going to put it down carefully enough so that it does not bang against others, possible injuring one or both of them. I suppose there is a case to be made for parts that are small enough so they won't harm each other, but I seem to recall they were making truck axles or wheels in the video in question. They were both heavy and had surfaces for mounting bearings that could be easily damaged.

Anyway, that is what struck me in that and other such videos, not the lack of furniture.

Status
Not open for further replies.