What's new
What's new

OT - What's the plan for this forum?

barbter2

Aluminum
As the question asks - what's the plan now?
Because we're now in a situation with members being banned, posts deleted, and threads now locked "before degradation" AKA "thought Police".....
I asked the Q previously but it was either missed or ignored - so I'll ask again - What's the plan here?
If it's to kill this forum than you just as well do it now because it will die anyway?

jaguar36

Aluminum
This is the "Manufacturing in America and Europe" Forum. Discussions here should be focused on that. While some discussion of politics is unavoidable and allowed, when it ventures away from Manufacturing and into extreme politics and name calling, if the offending posts can be easily deleted they will be. If its just a general slide into bickering then the thread will be locked.

For reference see the stickys.

clubairth

Plastic
Are you kidding me??
Do you even read this forum??

Multiple idiots turn EVERY thread into some POS political junk. I DON'T read Practical Machinists to get my political views. I read it because of amazing work machinists do and I want to understand it better. I don't plan to open a shop or even buy a machine. I am a Mechanical Engineer that admires the skill and knowledge that machinists possess for problem solving.

The Antique machine section is a completely new world to me and to see the unbelievable precision these early machine tool makers could achieve is humbling.

I think you need to look into the mirror my friend? The answer lies within.

barbter2

Aluminum
Are you kidding me??
Do you even read this forum??

Multiple idiots turn EVERY thread into some POS political junk. I DON'T read Practical Machinists to get my political views. I read it because of amazing work machinists do and I want to understand it better. I don't plan to open a shop or even buy a machine. I am a Mechanical Engineer that admires the skill and knowledge that machinists possess for problem solving.

The Antique machine section is a completely new world to me and to see the unbelievable precision these early machine tool makers could achieve is humbling.

I think you need to look into the mirror my friend? The answer lies within.
Who is this reply to?

barbter2

Aluminum
Interesting - is Hanermo (sp?) no longer the mod? While I understand some tightening up, I did like having the moderation being fairly low key in this subforum. Sounds like that's no longer the case...
Me too.
This forum was introduced many years ago, so all us Euro-Peons could get a word in, because, as everyone who doesn't live in Murrica knows, the world IS a big place 😬

Personally, I find it great to discuss subjects getting everyone's world-wide take on it all - there's some very smart and experienced people here, and it's always good to see a world-wide opinion on things. Especially as world governance is becoming more and more aligned....
Yes, it is unfortunate politics get so heavily mentioned. But politics clearly drive just about everything now and will do even more in the coming future.
Yes, it is unfortunate this forum did get out of hand with the repeated moronic name calling.
But going forwards, the deleting of posts and trigger happy locking of threads, is just as bad as the Godron Clarke Metrology dicktatorship era. Nothing good will come of it and this forum will cease.
IMHO, of course.

michiganbuck

Diamond
Political discussions will have one Pm member not liking another for subjects not related to the machining trade or business so should be avoided or not allowed here IMHO.

But any dirty bugger who does not like asparagus should be horn swagged.

QT: (Is there no explanation of why a thread is locked or deleted?) It would not hurt to add "locked because" whatever.

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Yabut....
You've just preemptively deleted a thread "just in case" ...
You may not agree, but some of us ( and I would like to humbly include myself in that group ) do have at least a minimal amount of self control and ignore posts or posters who are out
to do nothing other than troll, and only engage in discussions that are at least benign, perhaps informative and educational, most certainly entertaining at times.
Locking threads, sure, absolutely warranted at times.
Kicking members in the ass, sure, absolutely warranted at times.
It is your job as a moderator to decide which is appropriate and when.
So far you're doing better than the previous mod who's only goal was to see his name appear on the front page as a moderator, but going overboard sucks too.

Trueturning

Diamond
I generally think its fairly obvious why a thread has been locked, however I can try to put a more detailed explanation going forward.
That doing anything in response to how it was previously going is a good step. There will always be situations where any action will receive some negative feedback. That is understandable with change.
There are the usual things which are done and sure they may not be liked very much in all circumstances.

On the other hand there are members who are not very upset over actions taken. To most they likely understand something had to happen. I appreciate that Han did as he said largely and showed what it could be like with no such stable interaction.
Bottom line is that some can be so intense that they need a vacation and time outs. It need not be any excessive actions taken and it seems to have fairness where steps have been taken. Overall the impact seems positive in reality.

That this happens is no surprise as there are many checks in society. Out in the world some persons write laws and are given a badge to handle a wide range of behavior for better or worse we hope for the better.

john.k

Diamond
yep ,your house ,your rules........however to me it appeared that this forum ,entirely off topic as it inevitably was ,generated more than its weight in all important hits,views,looks ....whatever advertizers value.....I just hope the graph on the office wall doesnt have to have extra pieces of paper added in the lower right hand corner ,like a Dilbert cartoon...Just gotta look at the likes of Eggy and Thermite,both with 50k+ posts each ,now gone to all intents and purposes.

Trueturning

Diamond
Yes deleting things is a no go topic for many. It may eliminate a lot of valuable info to the actual trade end many times. Yet many feel that things become so extreme sometimes that such action is understood. If someone might not wish to see this happen to them then perhaps they can see which way the wind is blowing and maybe just post thier say without the hostility which can be a normal reaction today sure. One side or the other there are extremes today.
If it bothers anyone then fine because still now there is moderation involved which is good. Either ignore it or not this is the way things are now. I have seen some improvements and truth is when this happens there is usually discomfort with the moderation. That is life.

Last edited:

Ries

Diamond
I like the new moderation. Its really easy not to get banned or erased- simply state facts, and dont make personal attacks. Also it helps not to repeat the same political memes again and again. Facebook is for memes. Do it there.

Shawnrs

Stainless
Yes deleting things is a no go topic for many. It may eliminate a lot of valuable info to the actual trade end many times. Yet many feel that things become so extreme sometimes that such action is understood. If someone might not wish to see this happen to them then perhaps they can see which way the wind is blowing and maybe just post thier say without the hostility which can be a normal reaction today sure. One side or the other there are extremes today.
If it bothers anyone then fine because still now there is moderation involved which is good. Either ignore it or not this is the way things are now. I have seen some improvements and truth is when this happens there is usually discomfort with the moderation. That is life.
When you start deleting replies because they don't fit the topic then delete all replies that do not fit the topic. When you see the replies of mine that got deleted you would shake your head because they were harmless, they were not heavily political other than they were replies to a person on here that seems to get spanked more often. The last reply that got deleted was harmless. you had someone that asked why gas prices were so high and I posted a picture of biden that says I did that at the gas pump. That is more humor than political. The message I got was non constructive political chatter, keep it related to manufacturing.

Trueturning

Diamond
Yes that makes sense. It is good that content is often reviewed. Of course that involves the usual opinions of any posting. Given the usual feedback from posts it is not surprising that posters have issues with the general posts here.

Freedommachine

Hot Rolled
When you start deleting replies because they don't fit the topic then delete all replies that do not fit the topic. When you see the replies of mine that got deleted you would shake your head because they were harmless, they were not heavily political other than they were replies to a person on here that seems to get spanked more often. The last reply that got deleted was harmless. you had someone that asked why gas prices were so high and I posted a picture of biden that says I did that at the gas pump. That is more humor than political. The message I got was non constructive political chatter, keep it related to manufacturing.
My post responding to the same individual (I am assuming) was deleted as well. I chose my words carefully to ensure it wouldn't be an insult but I got a message that it was deleted for; "off topic, extreme discussion of politics, insulting" - I just figured all deleted posts received that message.

I know my post did not contain any of that but it did contain a quoted message full of it. I assumed Jaguar36 was trying to remove the problem post and mine was a casualty of war. My post only contained a reply to that other garbage anyway. Nothing lost on my end, none of us caught the ban hammer and the thread remains open, it happens.

The "I did that" sticker image... You really don't see why that might have been removed? It may have been funny if it hadn't already been stuck on every gas pump across the US for the last 4 months. No offense but it looked like an attempt to "stir the pot" that hadn't even crusted over yet.

The line is variable and 'reading the room' could be the difference between something being acceptable or not acceptable - just like face to face conversation.

Removing individual posts is probably the least intrusive option to moderate. I can't see the harm as long as it doesn't get too out of hand - deleting all off topic posts because 1 or 2 people crossed the line would be too heavy handed imo.

What I found incredibly irritating was having threads locked or completely deleted out of nowhere. There have been at least half a dozen times when I've spend 20-30 minutes constructing a post - only to hit the "post" button and find the thread locked with out explanation.

If we are forced to have active moderation, it is what it is. It could be worse.

john.k

Diamond
When I look in at a forum ,and there has been no new action for hours,I just lose interest.....strict moderation turns forums into ghost towns......however ,thats not to allow the antics of those that infest the political troll universe.

thermite

Diamond
When I look in at a forum ,and there has been no new action for hours,I just lose interest.....strict moderation turns forums into ghost towns......however ,thats not to allow the antics of those that infest the political troll universe.

"I could be wrong...... been wrong before.." disclaimer, but ...

IIRC, the late RG Newbould created this particular forum with the expectation-aforethought that it would become a magnet for ... strong opinions.. if not-also "controversial".

Regardless of intent, real or imagined, it DID become so.. annnnnd... "mostly" reduced the drivel leaking into OTHER parts of PM.

Which 'sandbox' or 'playpen' walling-off effect is/was a "good thing" AFAICS.

That is also probably outscored the rest of the entire "PM Universe" combined as to "click" scores?

May or may not be the actual case. May or may not have been 'of-value'.
I am not he who has sight of the logs and statistics.

Nor do I have a klew if 'active moderation' can salvage it to genuine discussion of similarities/differences, challenges, shared solutions in keeping with its title.

Worth a try, though?

Shawnrs

Stainless
My post responding to the same individual (I am assuming) was deleted as well. I chose my words carefully to ensure it wouldn't be an insult but I got a message that it was deleted for; "off topic, extreme discussion of politics, insulting" - I just figured all deleted posts received that message.

I know my post did not contain any of that but it did contain a quoted message full of it. I assumed Jaguar36 was trying to remove the problem post and mine was a casualty of war. My post only contained a reply to that other garbage anyway. Nothing lost on my end, none of us caught the ban hammer and the thread remains open, it happens.

The "I did that" sticker image... You really don't see why that might have been removed? It may have been funny if it hadn't already been stuck on every gas pump across the US for the last 4 months. No offense but it looked like an attempt to "stir the pot" that hadn't even crusted over yet.

The line is variable and 'reading the room' could be the difference between something being acceptable or not acceptable - just like face to face conversation.

Removing individual posts is probably the least intrusive option to moderate. I can't see the harm as long as it doesn't get too out of hand - deleting all off topic posts because 1 or 2 people crossed the line would be too heavy handed imo.

What I found incredibly irritating was having threads locked or completely deleted out of nowhere. There have been at least half a dozen times when I've spend 20-30 minutes constructing a post - only to hit the "post" button and find the thread locked with out explanation.

If we are forced to have active moderation, it is what it is. It could be worse.

Do you honestly think I was stirring the pot with that picture? Perhaps you have been in too many political arguments on here it clouds your sense of humor.