What's new
What's new

OT: why do we pay sales tax for shipping charges

"Legal robbery, that's why. Same reason I have to pay sales tax to buy used items on eBay for a person to person sale, friggin' B.S. That's like charging sales tax at a garage sale. Paying sales tax on one item multiple times is absolute crap. "

Precisely. Once an item has been taxed (when new) it should not be taxable again. Unfortunately, that is not how the tax laws are written. It is a sales tax, not an item tax. The sale is what is taxed. The government doesn't care if your lawn chair is at a garage sale or WalMart...they 'deserve' a tax payment either way.

This sort of is why I have always been distrustful of all forms of electronic payment, and why 'people' dismay me. They flock like sheep out of convenience to using methods of payment that are easily tracked and therefore taxed. It's also why there is a growing legion of jackasses who are pushing to eliminate cash. These are the same jackasses who realize their livelihood is directly tied to...your taxes.

The noose only tightens...

When we don't tax the rich, someone has to pay for it. So they Chase the little guy..

And Gregsy is correct (%250 correct). If you pay tax on the money you earn, and you pay tax on the item when new, its done. You shouldnt get taxed again.

Now, the thing with taxing the rich (some guy making $150K a year is not rich). Who benefits most from good infrastructure? Educated employees, a sea free from pirates, etc? This allows companies to conduct trade, make products, etc. The rich benefit the most. But they pay the least. And the financial class of wealth far and away pay the least and reap the most while doing the least.

Most of the "extra" sales tax for thing such as shipping goes into the seller's pocket.

I've had a few in-state vendors back off and recalculate after I asked them if they'd mind if I contacted the Commonwealth's revenue department and asked if that was official policy. The vendor of course knew that that might lead to an audit to see if they were declaring and turning in all the sales tax they collected.

As for taxes on top of taxes, the Commonwealth of Taxachusetts also charges sales tax ON THE VEHICLE YOU ALREADY OWN if you move here and register it in Mass.

This happens regardless of if you've already payed sales tax in another state.

The thing that really rubs salt in the wound re paying taxes is that both federal and states that have income taxes make you spend YOUR time filling out the robbery invoice or pay someone else to do it.

The original federal income tax was 2% on the wealthiest 2%.

There is no sales tax on real estate in California because the real estate lobbies hard to keep it that way. If they started collecting sales taxes prices would fall by 7.8% and so would there commissions. The new property taxes would also be down by 7.8% due to the reduced values.
Bill D

Mortimer Duke : Tell him the good part.

Randolph Duke : The good part, William, is that, no matter whether our clients make money or lose money, Duke & Duke get the commissions.

Mortimer Duke : Well? What do you think, Valentine?

Billy Ray : Sounds to me like you guys a couple of bookies.

Randolph Duke : [chuckling, patting Billy Ray on the back] I told you he'd understand.

somehow my post took a detour.....

i am not interested in political jabber=jibber . i buy a lot of vacuum tubes , high voltage transformers, whatever...
sellers bloat shipping costs a bit to compensate for irregularities and fuckups, as well as time consumed fiddling
around with packing stuff properly. i'm good. i get it.

but i have to pay sales tax for what seems to me - a separate transaction .
example:

i bought a pair of 60 year old nos RCA 6au6 tubes
for 12 dollars . sales tax here is .08 , so 12.96 . plus shipping . guy gouges me $7 for 1st class . ok so what?

no. ebay adds shipping and sales ...taxes the whole thing

yeah, boo hoo ...it was only seventy cents or whatever, but multiply that by several hundred transactions.
i know taxes are responsible for utility and infrastructure, but to reach into pockets for bullshit nonsense
makes no common sense.

Show me a social program or tax that was birthed by a conservative. They're all Democratic in origin.

“Democratic” is the process, not the political affiliation… ironically this mistake makes your statement less untrue… but unintentionally I’m sure.

It’s obvious your statement is to be read that ONLY Democrats, or liberals have levied taxes? Are you actually so ignorant as to make such a statement, in public?!?

I was certain the height of ignorance was you turning down work because… Joe Biden?!? or at least bragging to the community here that you’d been so foolish.

Nope… you found another level.

Even if the only process of elimination you can muster is on the toilet, you ought to have enough sense to not make such a dangerously stupid statement.

Not that he would stand a chance in the modern GOP, but I’m certain Abraham Lincoln levied taxes.

Eisenhower surely did.

Remember “read my lips”…???

The last GOP one-termer… promised no new taxes…

Then levied a handful.

Speaking in absolutes is both dangerous and dangerously stupid.

Relegates you to the kiddie table ad infinitum where any serious debate is concerned as well.

I’ll wager $1k that you’ve proudly voted for at least one republican politician who has subsequently raised your taxes.

The law of averages is wholly in my favor.

This is the PRACTICAL machinist, not the POLITICAL machinist…

I’ll end with a great statement, by a great man… who also happened to be a republican:

“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.”

Be safe.

Jeremy

It's important to note I don't consider myself a Republican...they are simply better than Democrats. They have some values and beliefs beyond greed and power. I said taxes are Democratic in origin - that means if you look at the major taxes such as social security, income tax, etc. they well all foisted by Democrats. Have Republicans ever raised taxes? Sure. But their ability to raise a tax wouldn't exist if the tax hadn't been instilled by Democrats. Then...you lump on all the stupidity of Democrat votes such as the LBGTQH mess, immigration mess, welfare mess, drug mess....and it's not hard to spot the enemy.

As for the rich not paying their 'fair share'....sure, there are rich people who skirt the system. That's life. It ain't fair. It always has been that way, and always will be. The problem is the 'tax the rich' argument falls flat when you use math....if you took 100% of the rich people's money and applied it to the national debt...it still wouldn't pay it back. Then, once all the rich people are dead broke, where do you go from there?

Rich people pay a ton in taxes that no one talks about.....property taxes for one. Then, a rich person by nature spends way more than a poor person, so every time they buy a $500 bottle of wine or a new yacht....that's lots of sales tax.

Poor people, by and large, get away with financial murder. And there are a lot more of them than rich people. For every rich person I know, I know 20 poor people who pay no taxes beyond sales tax...in fact, they get a tax credit each year which is like a second Christmas. Poor people get free food. Subsidized rent. Welfare checks. Free school lunches. None of that do the rich get.

It's important to note I don't consider myself a Republican...they are simply better than Democrats. They have some values and beliefs beyond greed and power. I said taxes are Democratic in origin - that means if you look at the major taxes such as social security, income tax, etc. they well all foisted by Democrats. Have Republicans ever raised taxes? Sure. But their ability to raise a tax wouldn't exist if the tax hadn't been instilled by Democrats. Then...you lump on all the stupidity of Democrat votes such as the LBGTQH mess, immigration mess, welfare mess, drug mess....and it's not hard to spot the enemy.

As for the rich not paying their 'fair share'....sure, there are rich people who skirt the system. That's life. It ain't fair. It always has been that way, and always will be. The problem is the 'tax the rich' argument falls flat when you use math....if you took 100% of the rich people's money and applied it to the national debt...it still wouldn't pay it back. Then, once all the rich people are dead broke, where do you go from there?

Rich people pay a ton in taxes that no one talks about.....property taxes for one. Then, a rich person by nature spends way more than a poor person, so every time they buy a $500 bottle of wine or a new yacht....that's lots of sales tax.

Poor people, by and large, get away with financial murder. And there are a lot more of them than rich people. For every rich person I know, I know 20 poor people who pay no taxes beyond sales tax...in fact, they get a tax credit each year which is like a second Christmas. Poor people get free food. Subsidized rent. Welfare checks. Free school lunches. None of that do the rich get.

This is the funniest thing I have heard. Poor people pay no taxes ? THEY ARE POOR! What do they have to pay with, by definition they are poor (I guess they could pay for it with there kids, send them off to war). And I gots news for you. Look at the number of cites that got caught balancing the budget off the backs of poor people in fines and fees through the courts.

As for the rich, as percent of income they do not pay more in taxes. As for the "they pay more in sales tax". Sure. Average person owns 1 car, 3 pants, 1 tv. Rich person is how much richer. So they are 300X richer. So by that thought just to pay the same percent tax they own 300 cars, 900 pants 300 tv, etc Yeah that holds water.

From what I have seen of the ultrarich and huge corps. They dont pay any taxes.

AS for the dumb crap the dems do like lgbt mess, well Fox news needs to have something to instill terror and fear into you. Its non stop fair and balanced at Fox. Remember when Glen Beck would use the letters from obamas name to spell words proving he was a communist? That terrified people. It was absurd.

From my point of view both parties are horrible. But republicans are worse. Who has added more to the national debt?

The point of taxation is revenue, not fairness:

LOUIS XIV’S FINANCE minister, Jean-Baptiste Colbert, famously declared that “the art of taxation consists in so plucking the goose as to obtain the largest possible amount of feathers with the smallest possible amount of hissing.” When it comes to taxing companies, a modern finance minister might rephrase this as “the largest possible amount of revenue with the smallest possible amount of economic and political damage.”

Plucking the geese | The Economist

Jean-Baptiste Colbert - Wikipedia

In case you guys aren't yet aware:

In 2022 all transactions by third party payment services (paypal, venmo, cash app, etc.) are now required to be reported to IRS. So you will be getting a 1099 from Paypal if you receive more than $600 in a year. I think in the past it was it was $20k or over 200 transactions.
This means if you have a garage sale, and someone venmo's you, its taxed.

Some thrift stores charge sales tax. some do not.
In the UK if a tool is more then 100? years old no VAT is charged.

To be honest a rich person probably uses less government services then the poor. They seldom get police called on them. Few spend time in jail at public expense etc. A smaller percentage of their children go to public school etc.
Bill D

Same reason why we pay sales tax on machine rentals (say a weekend long skidsteer rental) even though the customer will be billed for it.

Also the same reason why you have to keep paying sales taxes on vehicles every time it is sold. Isnt it the rule where only the final one in line gets the sales tax? Then why does the 2, 3, 4, 5, etc have to pay sales tax on the same truck.

Because the government likes money and the more they can get from you, the more that goes into their budgets.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I bet "Germ fab" can't explain why in some states we pay 10% sales tax on food, yet in others we don't. Or why we pay sales tax on shipping in some states, yet others we don't. Yet he acts like a genius relative to the high taxes that are robbing all of us blind.

Same reason why we pay sales tax on machine rentals (say a weekend long skidsteer rental) even though the customer will be billed for it.

Also the same reason why you have to keep paying sales taxes on vehicles every time it is sold. Isnt it the rule where only the final one in line gets the sales tax? Then why does the 2, 3, 4, 5, etc have to pay sales tax on the same truck.

Because the government likes money and the more they can get from you, the more that goes into their budgets.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

They don't just like money, they like to "STEAL IT" from the rest of us. They feel it empowers them, they use this power to coerce people and to change the outcomes in life to their liking, not ours.

This thread is comedy gold to the prisoners of the U.K., I swear the London school of economics trained the tax world from the IMF to the Bank of England and FED, the arseholes have taxes thought out we couldn’t even have nightmares about, best thing I read was “ why don’t we give it all to the government and they’d let us have back what they couldn’t find a reason to spend” that’s the future aim of the globalists in a sentence if ever I’ve geared it.
We over here are apparently the highest taxed country in the world, direct, indirect, breathing tax (co2) farting ( carbon emission) standing too close ( congestion tax) and the dopey taxes are retaxed with “ value added tax”,
Capital gains tax, dying tax, Burial tax, now I’m wondering how thought tax will work.
Death and taxes my friends, both guaranteed, and we invented mirror tax, window tax
Mark

Nobody likes taxes, but we have to have them in order to run the government (hold your comments please). If the total amount of tax were put into a lump sum and presented to the public there would be revolt like has never been seen. So...the taxes are hidden in all sorts of places in often small amounts hoping that no one will notice. After all, what is a few pennies on a purchase? Would you stoop over to pick up a few pennies on the sidewalk?

Tom

The govt' could get by with about 25% of taxed/stolen revenues from we the people, yet the big govt' types want to keep taking and taking from us. By the way 10% is not a few pennies.... especially when that 10% is on top of already taxed income.
Some people don't understand percentages either, there is a percentage on the top, or on the bottom.
10% is not the same when it is on the top which is the way Govt' taxes. If you want to earn $100 and the tax rate is 10%, you don't just add 10% ($10) to cover your tax, because then you would be charging $110 and the tax rate on that figure is actually more than $10 because if is figured on the top. Now when you start getting into the real INCOME tax rates, some are paying over 50% when the figure is calculated on the bottom side, because the topside percentage always is lower mathematically, which is another way the Govt' lies to people. Let's admit it, the Govt' is a non stop lying machine, mostly on the left side. Robbing peter of his money so he can't feed his family the way he wants to, so some bum ass fool can eat for free.

Back