What's new
What's new

OT woodworking combo machine

There is a variety of awesome combo machines to keep an eye opened for, They are the Richard's die maker's jig saws, Large 36 or 48 inch deep scroll saw with a pop up table saw and a little drill press. These are for making steel rule dies and have been made somewhat obsolete by lasers. I think there are a few other makes. Should go cheap at auction, not used for production die making so much anymore but die cutting shops still have them for repair, but between laser cutting of die boards and direct cutting by lasers and much die cutting going over seas, there should be many of these up for grabs.

The old drum sanders such as mine do not seem to be highly valued. I was given mine, for example, when I bought a couple of other machines from the same shop. A three drum Solem (I think) owned by a friend was passed by at the uaction after his death (he, like me had learned on the Solem I now own, and he had replaced it with a Timesaver, if I recall correctly).

I suppose these are not liked because 1), the paper/cloth changes are difficult, 2), becasue lubrication can be difficult (though mine has a one point oil system on it that does most of the work), because they are heavy (but thy're not that heavy really and to a certain extent that should be thought a plus, and 4), because they use a lot of electricity. Adjustment is not hard, most maintenenace is not hard, and they can be accurate--I believe mine is/was, though all machines have a practical life span and these things were made to run several shifts per day, all day everyday: that was their original point. They sand well enough.

There are a few shops that like these for some reason better than wide belt machines but in general this is not nearly the case. In my experience they bring no money for resale, no--or as in my case--little interest from 'collectors' and 'tinkerers.'

On the other hand I have a Performax in my little hobby shop and--while it's a cheap little light thing--I like it well enough and use it a fair amount (and wish I had two so I could set it up for two different papers): it's definitely better than no sander of this type.

well saw has come in...went with a saw/shaper combo..with a monster sliding table..etc. picked up a new toy, a pasquali tractor..so i figured i'd put it to work...crate is about 9-10 feet long for reference.

crate lifted and bolted to skis..and hooked to pasquali, coulda used my JLG lift trailer..but what fun is that?

work1.jpg

goin down back..this is the area that is always tricky..downslope and canted...nasty with the kubota bucket too high.. skis were wide tho so not a problem

work2.jpg

bending around a tree to get lined up with the door..articulation is nice

work3.jpg

pushin it to the door now..worked until the last 4 feet.then ground got too soft..so used a come-a-long

work4.jpg

now the real work begins

work5.jpg

Nice. So where's the matching Felder dust collection system ? Yeah I know, kinda high dollar..perhaps one of Oneida's new "Gorilla" cyclone units with the Asian motor ?

Back