What's new
What's new

Our new American pacemaker lathe - Ongoing cleanup.

No, I don't know any artist at all I think. And definitely not anyone that do that kind of thing. But it isn't really a rebuild; I have fixed the defects I was able to and I am doing the paint and cleaning to the best of my abilities. It would have been cool with a tag though.

It would have been cool with a tag though.

My wife does this sort of thing sometimes -
She's an amateur jeweler , and makes reproduction machinery badges for me and others on occasion.

It's not really rocket science, but you need the capability to etch metal .
If you have computer artwork, fonts, etc, with decent resolution, that's most of the battle -
Printed in reverse, that's the resist for the chemical or electric etching.
If you get a good deep etch, the the rest is just painting and polishing :~)

I attached some (poor) photos of a "restorer's" badge she made for a museum in Georgia, US - She used 16 ga brass for this.
It was for an Oliver 80 table saw that was restored by some volunteers a couple years ago -
It came out pretty good, and the badge (as well as the saw itself) got a lot of compliments.
The first photo is of the artwork - We just put it together using existing images and fonts.

BTW - You are doing an absolutely beautiful job on the lathe, even if you don't consider it a "restoration" !

Tifton 2014 artwork.jpgTifton.jpgclose up.jpgsaw.jpg

Last edited:
Chip deflection shield behind the chuck and over the motor and coolant pump. I replaced the sheet metal parts that isn't painted in this picture, it was severely bent:
Pace-074.jpg

Electrical cabinet and chip shield painted:
Pace-075.jpg

Thread dial parts:
Pace-076.jpg

Chip shield (almost) finished:
Pace-077.jpg

Wiring and controls done, with a new gasket:
Pace-078.jpg

Name plate cleaned and painted:
Pace-079.jpg

Tailstock base and traverse mechanism mounted:
Pace-080.jpg

Gearbox cover after lots of work to get it flat. It actually had finish coat on it twice before this picture:
Pace-081.jpg

Last coat of primer:
Pace-082.jpg

Cover mounted and it doesn't even leak. The trick is to put the sealant on the cover, not the gearbox:
Pace-083.jpg

Tailstock done:
Pace-084.jpg

Most of the the parts are back on:
Pace-085.jpg

New cover for the cross slide screw. I made a temporary cover out of sheetmetal but this one is proper:
Pace-086.jpg

Cover done, except for paint:
Pace-087.jpg

There are a number of things left. Among them:
- Make covers for the taper attachment.
- Finish paintwork on the tray below the apron.
- Get new oil seals.

So I see you are pretty much finished amazing job but little sad you could not get it ground. Ok mines next you've done one so mine will be quick don't worry. I'll get the bed ground too you just have to do everything else. :P

Beautiful machine you have there. I have personally ran basically the same machine, a 69. Best engine lathe I have ever ran. They can take huge cuts without a flinch of hesitation.
They don't build lathes like that anymore.

Thank you for the nice words to the last two posters.
I am looking into another option for bed grinding. It will be more expensive than the place in Sweden, but nothing is decided yet. I will let you know if it does.
If anyone wants to try to find the oil-seals I am missing I want to pay for doing so: $15 for each oil seal you can find. Plus off course the cost of the seals and postage. Discussion on the seals: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-reference-290131/?highlight=oil+seals+victor
I need:
OD ID
1,122 0,625
1,499 0,875
1,875 1,125
2,247 1,25
2,1 1,375
1,869 1,125

Back