What's new
What's new

Outsource drawings overseas?

yassybassy

Plastic
Hi,

We are a sheet metal fabrication shop and we make architectural parts. It's been impossible finding someone local lately. Does anyone have any experience working with companies overseas?

Hi,

We are a sheet metal fabrication shop and we make architectural parts. It's been impossible finding someone local lately. Does anyone have any experience working with companies overseas?
How much pay are you offering ?

Hi,

What is your general location? State and closest major city is fine, don't need your exact address. Someone may be able to find someone "local" to you, but we don't yet know where that is.

Have you branched out your search to elsewhere in the country? (assuming you are in the United States - again, your general location helps here) There's probably hundreds, if not thousands, of engineering firms out and about. There's got to be at least one that can do what you need.

To reiterate what DDoug said - are you willing to pony up the cash necessary?

I would be wary of contracting with someone too far away - no offense intended, I'm sure there's folks overseas who are very talented.

But a few things to keep in mind - the language barrier could pose an obstacle, plenty of people with English as a second language who are fluent, but they may not know certain industry terminology or your regional dialect of English (i.e. coke vs pop vs soda).

Someone on the exact opposite end of the world is also on the exact opposite schedule as you. While you're busting your ass, or sitting on it, waiting for a correction on a drawing, they are sleeping, and vice versa.

Keep in mind the US of A is still one of the few places in the world that uses inch as a unit of measurement. Be wary that conversions between measurement systems always run the risk of having mistakes (especially if the guy on the shop floor is the one calculating it). So unless you are working in millimeters and kilograms already, you will have another barrier to deal with.

We have a US and overseas manufacturing company and are in the middle of setting up a group to do CAD work and other tasks for other companies using our overseas team. Can you detail what you are looking for?

Hi,

A friend based in SoCal has been interviewing engineers/drafters to help with his project.

He's been looking at asia, especially Vietnam, apparently there's quite a few competant SWX drivers there. But there's somewhat of a language barrier. He's now settled on a SWX driver based in the UK, he's getting paid maybe 60% of what a US based SWX driver would, also no language barrier that gets in the way of progressing the project. The UK based SWX driver is being paid thru a UK job agency, who take care of taxes,national insurance etc etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course you neglected to say where your located and what CAD system you use.

To much experience with offshore drawings. The major usa based detailers use offshore subs, and or illegal copies of tekla/sds.
The drawings cost 2x as much- you will redraw each and every part to get dimensions. No, you will not get true dxf/dwg files. They will be the same as the pdfs, which will not be to any scale and will be truncuted in multiple places, multiple planes, with no indication of truncation.

No, no, no.

Now if you use fivr or some other peer to peer service and contract a person who is anywhere your chances of decent drawing are good.

He's now settled on a SWX driver based in the UK, he's getting paid maybe 60% of what a US based SWX driver would,

---------------------------
OP- " It's been impossible finding someone local lately."

One wonders if there's a connection between the two statements. Shop doesn't have the software and/or the capability to use it but has divined what the price should be for what they don't know and/or don't have themselves. Impressive.

OP- " It's been impossible finding someone local lately."

One wonders if there's a connection between the two statements. Shop doesn't have the software and/or the capability to use it but has divined what the price should be for what they don't know and/or don't have themselves. Impressive.

Part of the problem is my friend had trouble finding anybody competant overseas at a price he was willing to pay. He's very good at SWX, so when he thought he'd found somebody competant he would send them a dimensioned drawing of a shaft with a flange/threads/keyways. And via zoom/skype he'd ask the potential candidate to build the part from scratch and explain to him how they were doing it while sharing the screen. 9 out of 10 couldn't make the part in a timely fashion if at all. The guy in the UK could.

He knows what a good SWX driver should be paid in the UK he researched prevailing wages over there and that's what he's paying.

Personally, based on personal experience working remotely with somebody is not easy, even when in the same time zone. (LA and Seattle) UK is 8 hours ahead, big mistake imho.

One of my customers tried that a few years ago. The drawings were terrible--full of errors and nonsensical dimensions. They gave up after about a year, and brought it back in house.

Part of the problem is my friend had trouble finding anybody competant overseas at a price he was willing to pay.

I will certainly allow for project details I know nothing about and don't intend to cast derision upon someone you know. My comment was based upon my own numerous experiences with engineers not having the CAD program and were (likely) unqualified to use the program, just had another last week. They want to use your licensed seat and your experience but aren't willing to pay prevailing wage for either. I have no problem with someone operating within a budget or seeking a bargain, I just question how realistic a budget/bargain it is sometimes in conjunction with the valuation of their own contributions.Licensed CAD seats and experience aren't cheap either. I hope your friend finds just what they're looking for and it was worth sending the work off shore. It's hard to believe there was nobody local that was qualified to do the work, at least a price they've decided is reasonable. I'll also offer my apologies if I've offended your friend or you with my commentary on project details I'm not privy to.

A bit OT- Plenty of owners in this country whining about nobody willing to work and how we need outsourcing and/or "guest workers". The part never mentioned is how much they're (not) willing to pay for the work, usually well under prevailing wage because they want a "bargain" to increase their own profit margin. This has been covered on this board several times.

I will certainly allow for project details I know nothing about and don't intend to cast derision upon someone you know. My comment was based upon my own numerous experiences with engineers not having the CAD program and were (likely) unqualified to use the program, just had another last week. They want to use your licensed seat and your experience but aren't willing to pay prevailing wage for either. I have no problem with someone operating within a budget or seeking a bargain, I just question how realistic a budget/bargain it is sometimes in conjunction with the valuation of their own contributions.Licensed CAD seats and experience aren't cheap either. I hope your friend finds just what they're looking for and it was worth sending the work off shore. It's hard to believe there was nobody local that was qualified to do the work, at least a price they've decided is reasonable. I'll also offer my apologies if I've offended your friend or you with my commentary on project details I'm not privy to.

A bit OT- Plenty of owners in this country whining about nobody willing to work and how we need outsourcing and/or "guest workers". The part never mentioned is how much they're (not) willing to pay for the work, usually well under prevailing wage because they want a "bargain" to increase their own profit margin. This has been covered on this board several times.
When deciding how much to offer, don't neglect inflation:

alt-cpi-home2.gif

I wasn't even remotely offended, I think he's taking a risk, one I wouldn't take. But then again I'm not in his shoes overseeing a fast paced project.

Last place I worked, found that regardless of what was on the resume, and regardless of what they said in the interview, 9 out of 10 new hires (manual/cnc machinists, programmers,inspectors etc etc) didn't make a week, some not even to the end of the day.

We had an engineer who only lasted to first break. He I think was shocked that he was expected to start being productive and make drawings on his first day, I suspect he didn't know how.

This why my friend gives potential candidates a test.

Last edited:

Back