What's new
What's new

Own products

mario.pogacic

Plastic
I am a big fan of John Grimsmo knives and I am watching his videos about 2 years from now. I know that he is a good businessman and expert in CNC machining but in last few months I am thinking about my own products. Do you guys produce your products and sell them on internet? I am just wondering.
Do you have any ideas?

Thanks

I've been giving that a lot of thought lately. I was hoping to get in on that gravity powered dildo thing, but it looks like it aint going to fly.
There's an old saying, give the people what they want. Unfortunately, there's a lot of people sitting in prison for doing that. Got to think of something, though, and quick
Hot dog carts are looking better and better

I've been giving that a lot of thought lately. I was hoping to get in on that gravity powered dildo thing, but it looks like it aint going to fly.
There's an old saying, give the people what they want. Unfortunately, there's a lot of people sitting in prison for doing that. Got to think of something, though, and quick
Hot dog carts are looking better and better
There is a trick to a profitable Hot Dog cart. Buy half of your supplies with cash. Like having your children buy as much as possible from different discount stores. Buy the other half with your good credit from the usual suppliers. Makes it easier to pocket half the proceeds without reporting them. Make sure you have a loaded mustard squitter at the handy if suits show up to order. Top explodes on their suit. Or lace that mustard with Viseen eye drops.

There is a trick to a profitable Hot Dog cart. Buy half of your supplies with cash. Like having your children buy as much as possible from different discount stores. Buy the other half with your good credit from the usual suppliers. Makes it easier to pocket half the proceeds without reporting them. Make sure you have a loaded mustard squitter at the handy if suits show up to order. Top explodes on their suit. Or lace that mustard with Viseen eye drops.

So it's OK to cut the mustard?

This thread went downhill extra quick.....

Yes, many of us here make our own products. If you have ever made yourself a thing to solve a problem, then look around to see if anyone else has that same problem. If you haven't, then maybe stick to the job shop side of life.

My company did exactly this. I designed, manufactured, and retailed certain race parts. Every single one was ripped off yrs later, and now China is spitting them out. The way I think it went is someone got my parts and sent them to China to be made and they retailed them for, oh, about 20min. China will always say, "we make pahts fo yu, we keep very secret".....yeah..... I actually blocked a few direct sales to China. They buy stuff, then copy it. I didn't give them a refund or notice, I just never shipped the pahts.....

Also keep in mind some of these guys are trust fund babies. They buy very expensive equipment and make it look like a thriving deal. Try as I might, I could never make a $500k machine pencil out making custom "billet" lug nuts.

Why do you think that this thread is going to die? Lol I didn't post anything because I am busy. I was working before on many projects with turbochargers crankshafts blocks cylinder heads etc...so I was thinking about making something for turbos. It's in my head.. 🤔 maybe bearings? What do you think? Market place is big for those parts because China is killing with chra's ( finished part inside of turbo ) , UK have a Mellet which is covering almost whole world, there is a lot a lot companies that supply markets with those parts. I was also thinking about valve guides, valve seats. I was working for myself valve guides and seats but for my company....I don't know how to market those parts. And then...at the end... maybe wedding rings LOL 😁😁😃

Wedding rings - Recent stats: Croatia, 15,196 marriages in 2020. China, 7.6 million marriages 2021. Move to China. EmmanuelGoldstein will take you in and develop your mind, mechanically, too. Seriously, what’s your hobby interest because that may motivate you strongly to find solutions or improvements to products at which you’ll work harder versus what you do at work. (Top hobby in Croatia - Hiking & Trecking? Make aluminum hiking staffs and tips.)
I will seriously observe your idea. Thank you! :)

I do some of my own products
Some sell to industrial folk
Some through my website. Some through Amazon/eBay.

I’ve learned I’m a good machinist/creator, but a stone In water when it comes to marketing.
I think many of us on this forum are like that.

As for grimzmo, neat company with a very unique marketing/sales process.
I’m in awe how they have worked it.
You can’t just buy one, you need to sign up for a list and when ones available you got a small window to decide to purchase it.
So neat

I make and sell my own parts. The hardest part is marketing and growing a following. You can make the best parts in the world but if you don't grow some sort of fan base or have a team of people pushing sales it's going to be difficult. Just making things and selling them is a pain. Distributors hate small companies and their reps will do everything they can to keep your products off the shelves. I spent 3 years trying to get approved to sell on Amazon and eventually gave up.

Don't try to chase China prices and don't worry about them ripping your products off. As long as you have a good social presence and have a few people on your side you'll be okay. About half of what I make are products that I sell.

Many people in this day and age make something and sell it on the internet. Problem is, China can do that too, cheaper.
Make your product with enough room for retailers in your area of interest.
Retailers who are not Walmart will stick with you and they have customers who stick with them.
Everybody makes money

If there is not enough room for retailers, you are not as smart as you think, you are not doing it right, and you will get undercut sooner or later

I make my own products and sell them.

Imo your approach is completely wrong, if you are on a forum asking for ideas then making your own products to sell isn't for you.

If you make your own products they should be related to something you are interested in or to solve a problem you've come across.

Look at John as a prime example, people buy his knives and pens because they are something he is interested in and shows that, if x-corp or x-small-business started making a product like that but had zero interest in it other than they want to make a product that'll turn a profit then they would sell some for sure if it was a good product, but they wouldn't gain the sort of following and level of sales he has.

Also while he certainly seems to shift a decent number of knives and pens I doubt he's especially well off because of it, look at how many new and generally very high end machines he buys and how many people work for him, yes his business has grown but so have the overheads and signficantly so, don't assume you'll get rich doing something like he has, I like John too but I genuinly worry he's one recession away from having to lay off a load of staff and cut back drastically or risk actually running out of money, if I were him I'd curb the machine splurge and focus on building up retained profit using what he has for a while.

I spent 3 years trying to get approved to sell on Amazon and eventually gave up.

That's crazy. I'm one of 9,700,000 Amazon sellers that had no problem at all selling on Amazon. Amazon can be real damn stupid sometimes, but it is not hard to sell your own products on Amazon if they are something Amazon allows to be sold on it's platform.

That's crazy. I'm one of 9,700,000 Amazon sellers that had no problem at all selling on Amazon. Amazon can be real damn stupid sometimes, but it is not hard to sell your own products on Amazon if they are something Amazon allows to be sold on it's platform.

I was about to say the same thing. Buy you some UPC codes and make a listing in 20 minutes.

I make my own products and sell them.

Imo your approach is completely wrong, if you are on a forum asking for ideas then making your own products to sell isn't for you.

If you make your own products they should be related to something you are interested in or to solve a problem you've come across.

Look at John as a prime example, people buy his knives and pens because they are something he is interested in and shows that, if x-corp or x-small-business started making a product like that but had zero interest in it other than they want to make a product that'll turn a profit then they would sell some for sure if it was a good product, but they wouldn't gain the sort of following and level of sales he has.

Also while he certainly seems to shift a decent number of knives and pens I doubt he's especially well off because of it, look at how many new and generally very high end machines he buys and how many people work for him, yes his business has grown but so have the overheads and signficantly so, don't assume you'll get rich doing something like he has, I like John too but I genuinly worry he's one recession away from having to lay off a load of staff and cut back drastically or risk actually running out of money, if I were him I'd curb the machine splurge and focus on building up retained profit using what he has for a while.
Thank you. This is an answer, actually what I want to hear. I am growing my business and I had a wish only to share with you what I want to to. I like John and from him came idea to make my own product and I will. Thank you.

Back