What's new
What's new

Ox's Shop

• Thread starter Ox
  • Start date
  • Replies 1,409
  • Views 381,247
Yes, I am familier with it, and I have attachments to doo it in both CNC as well as multi-spindle (mechanical) but have yet to employ either.

----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
New Iron Saturday:

I just got in late last night from picking this unit up from an auction site in U/S New Yawk.
Bought a drier with it too, but not convinced that it is much of anything, will see....

This unit built new in 2000, and appears to have never been put into service. (nor the drier)
Note the cardboard on the aftercooler. (same on other side) This is a factory installed protection.
It was fully intact when we loaded out.

Quincy "Duplex" 10hp thumper compressor.
Meaning that it has 2 seperate 10hp motor compressor units on one tank/package.
The units can stagger and back each other up.
200 gallon tank.
Stands roughly 6' tall.
Top heavy load - I was glad to have been running training wheels on the truck.
I knew that it was the real deal when I bought it, but it is more "real" than I expected.

View attachment 398889

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Well, I haven't gotten this unit squirelled away where I want it yet, but that didn't stop the old compressor from put'n in it's retirement papers on Saturday. So I just set it in a spot recently cleared out by our old Tornos that has started sleeping outdoors this last week. Ran a few wires and an air line to it, and it fired right up, and went right up to 120# in no time. This thing is an impressive pc of machinery! I really like that it has pressurized lube on the crank, and it is the lube pressure that opens the intake valve for it to pump. No lube pressure = no pump, just freewheeling. Also - when the pump stops, and the pressure drops out, the head pressure is also dumped, so it always starts with no head pressure.

Now, I got to mention the cons:

As I'm ready to throw the juice to this bad boy, I realized that there is no "off" on it anywhere. :skep:
So it is currently switched on/off at the buss line! (planning to fix that)

I hadn't noticed this previously, but the motors on this are rated at 33A @ 200V. I noticed the 200V part previously, but not the 33A. When I first started it_ it tripped the O/L at 120# mark. I upped it to 36A. Then I find out that when this thing starts, it is kicking out the one lathe that is running. My previous 10hp compressors almost never trip out my Fanuc lathes, and this one is puting this lathe in a spindle amp fault when it kicks on - even with the lathe in Feed Hold! Also tripped out the O/L at 36A and cranked it up to 39A...

So it was Sunday and I wanted it to run so I could walk away a bit. So I adjusted up the Continuous Run valve, and that works good, but a bit loud. That could be stifled by puting on a more significant intake filter set-up - I'm sure. But then - after a while - I blew a 30A slow blow fuse up on the buss switch. (not hard to believe if the O/L is at 39A)

So I shut the whole thing down and walked away. I'll dink with it on Monday....

So today, I pulled the newish motor off of the old compressor, and installed it on the new compressor. It is rated at around 26A, and hadn't been faulting out my lathes. I turned the O/L down to 30A to git started.

Unit is running fine now. Not Faulting out my lathe, pumping to 160# and has not tripped the 30A O/L yet, nor blown a fuse yet.

Seems that I may have mentioned this motor earlier? This thing is a cow! (the replacement motor) The Baldors that it has replaced on 2 different compressors now are much lighter. And I knew this ahead of time when I went to lift it down from the previous unit today. I decided that I would set it down somewhere close by, rather than carry it accrost the shop, and then I had to move stuff out the road so's I could get a 2 wheel cart to it.

I set it on the scale, and it came in @ 127#.
I put the old one on the scale @ 97#.
Same 215T 10hp motor.
From Mexican Motors.
The tag says 105#, but it sure seems more than that when I was lifting it down from the old compressor.
The tag is WRONG!

I had expected that since I was feeding 240V to the motor that it would not require as many amps, but that sure didn't seem to be the case here.

Again, this whole compressor was new in 2000 and never put into service. I threw the first spark to it. The motors on this were likely installed per request to the original purchaser? But I would double check when I ordered a new one...

Also, one thing that I found odd, and it likely is b/c it is a 200V motor, and not a 240V motor, is that it is wired internally for ONLY 200V. There is only 3 leads, not 9.

Was not expecting to have to turn a wrench on my new machine for a good many years, but I bought it right enough that I can change out the motors on it - especially when I already have them here, so ....

Planning on adding an ON/OFF switch (or maybe 2?) and a pair of hour meters yet.

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Attachments

• DSCN3189.JPG
    DSCN3189.JPG
    731.3 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCN3190.JPG
    DSCN3190.JPG
    742 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCN3191.JPG
    DSCN3191.JPG
    741.2 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN3192.JPG
    DSCN3192.JPG
    721.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Seems that I may have mentioned this motor earlier? This thing is a cow!
Then you need a cow-carrier !

haystacks-calhoun.jpg

I am looking to Buy, Borrow, or Steal a largish serrated 25C collet.

I am open to the exact size, but the bigger the better, but really hoping to find a serrated collet as I am turning to 3.5" diameter.
Hardinge has no stock of serrated currently.

------------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Nice!

Is that Jap iron gonna make it's way into your shop?

From following this thread I got the impression you were a pretty hard core American iron (and some European) only kinda guy.

Yeah, well ... there's not a lot out there in American iron that is 8 axis turning.
Hardinge is likely to have one on the market [again] soon, but I'm not in the market for new anyhow.
From my vantage point, the Nakamura is the best thing going in 8x lathes, especially since I want a Fanuc control.

Anything Euro would purty much have a Siemens on it, and I am purging the shop of Siemens, not letting more back in. I always had VERY good luck with their hardware on Cinci equipment, but their newer stuff is not up to that reliability anymore and their support is at least as bad.

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yeah, well ... there's not a lot out there in American iron that is 8 axis turning.
Hardinge is likely to have one on the market [again] soon, but I'm not in the market for new anyhow.
From my vantage point, the Nakamura is the best thing going in 8x lathes, especially since I want a Fanuc control.
Not saying it's better in any way, just one more turret, and still Fanuc :
If I had more room, I'd get that one next week.

Trippple turrets not a good layout for Job Shop work.
Also, one Y is enough for J/S work.

I want what I can use and sell (parts from).
More is just more liablity, more downtime, and [in the case of a lower Y] more in the road.

I have had a Hardinge Twin Turn (65mm 8 axis) for 20 years.
I know exactly what I want ... and what I don't want.

And, Methods happens to be at or under 2 hours away from me, which is by far the closest I have ever had.
I have never dealt with them, and I hope all goes well there, but I haven't heard anything bad about them so far that I can recall....

---------------------

I am Ox and I approve this post!

Last edited:
We've had a rough 3 weeks of rigging. (off and on)

On the side of the shop that we are working at this time - I don't trust the floor for a 30K truck + machine, so I opted for a pair of 15's, which is how most of it went in to begin with. But these 2 trucks just didn't seem to be quite as capable as the 15's that we had many years ago.

The first one out the door was a 25K 6 spindle Acme, that moves back and forth from storage as needed. Somewhat routinely, but we load and unload with a crane in a matter of minutes, and it is honestly quite painless. I can roll it (I have 7 of them) in and out of either facility on 3-3.5" bars/tubes with our 8K truck, and then pick with the crane. I'm sure there are several pics of this earlier in this thread. Since we had this rigging coming up, we nixed the crane fee and did this one ourselves.

Next picks were deeper into the shop, and our bridge crane wouldn't clear them, so we just picked it up and strapped it to the red iron. (same when we moved them in)

DSCN3308.JPG

Next one was a 32K transfer machine. As I recall it coming in was me and my boy with a pr of 15's and hardly any issues at all. Skated the final stretch. I guess we skated it out OK, but we were not able to pick and team drive it out the door very easily this time. We got it out the door, but couldn't quite pick it up to git the trailer under it, so we added our 8 to the mix. So this is two of us, running 3 trucks, with no spotter. I was able to reach the controls on both of my trucks at the same time, and they would both pick at idle, and it was an amazing feat as it went flawlessly. I don't think that I ever had 3 trucks under anything at the same time before. At least not 4' off the ground...

Moving out Nov 2023.jpg

Took that down to the storage barn and squirreled it away too, and so they are both all tucked in and snug as a bug in a rug.

Then we moved our big Cinci Maxim 630 out to the snowbank, awaiting better pricing at the steel mill. That's a 35K pick, and we REALLY struggled with that one, but this time we weren't overly concerned about trading paint with it, so that helped... That was quite a scene, but we got it out.

Was then time to move some smaller items around inside to make the best use of space. We moved 1 engine lathe and a pair of parts worshers. And this puts my worshers further from the shipping area than I would prefer, but on paper it looks like it will leave a friendly layout.

Then we were ready to start refilling the iron deficit. Took the two trucks out and grabbed hold of _ what was s'posed to be a 26.5K pick (says 12K KG on it) but these trucks just were not gunna have any of it.

Called rental fleet and they brought out a 30 and picked up the two 15's.

We picked the lathe (Nakamura WT300) and walked it easily to the door, only to find that the mast was too tall for the doorway. So it was set just inside the door on 6bys for about a week before we could git the 15's back. You can see it in the doorway in the pic above. Thanks to an 18' door, there was just enough room around the side that I was able to pass stuff through. Stage it with a truck inside, and pick it up and scurry it away with the outside truck. I tried to keep some semblance of production going in the mean time.

So we took the 2 trucks and skated it to the far end of the shop, and that went WAY quicker than it ever should have!

DSCN3310.JPG

But we have a drip pan that we want to set it in, so that means that we really doo need to pick it up. And - we did...

DSCN3311.JPG

Then we took the two 15's back out to the staging area (that has been under tarp for 4-6 weeks by now) and fetch pick #2 which was a Nakamura WT150. IDK the listed weight of this one, but one 15 wouldn't touch it, and two 15's didn't exactly play with it, but it is substantially smaller than the 300. And that one went in without much drama.

Then we moved our other lathe (Hardinge T51 BB) into place, and we called it a day.

It was just over 8 hours straight from the time that we started skating the 300 from the door 'till we had all 3 machines in place with drip pans under each, and coolant tanks staged.

They picked the trucks up at first light the next morning (I removed the ancillary equipment from the rumble seats of them the night before) and I moved in the support equipment, barfeeds, a bar sucker(!), transformers, and chip conveyors inside that day in prep for the rain that was coming, but it kind'a petered out, but I was in doors!

Currently we have juice to 2 of them, but still a ways from having the new ones ready to rock and roll.
The engine lathe and worshers are long been hooked up as well.

Last edited:
I feel your pain! Rigging is no fun.
Is that nakamura going to sit on those pieces of 2x10 wood ? If so i am going to disregard foundation plans from now on. I already did more or less and it worked fine :D

Yes.
The drip pans have 1.5" edges, to work with a 2by under the machines and coolant tanks.

I have 3 Hardinge lathes like this currently, but then again - Hardinge's only set on 3 feet, but I don't expect any issues.

--------------------

When I moved into my current shop I poured 12" foundations with rebar for the then largest machines. Time passes, machines change, and having a 12" pad with a seam next to 8" is a problematic constraint. Especially since the 8" would likely have been just fine. Live and learn.

Well, a cpl weeks ago when it was warm and the forecast for neither (i before e eh?) Ontario nor Colorado (or anywhere else beyond for that matter) looked promising, and for the first time in ... ever ... I had some time on my hands coming up, and I know that it could easily be another 5 yrs (?) before having a real window again, so needed to take advantage of it.

DSCN3368.JPG
DSCN3401.JPG

We were hoping to go ashore to the lighthouse, but winds were in excess of 70+ knots, and was too much for safely going ashore:

DSCN3434.JPG

The seas here don't really look as bad as they could because we are on the east side of the Horne. Had we gone any further out into Sir Francis Drakes' Passage, they would have been much bigger yet for sure. I can chack again, but I think that my GPS said it was prox 6850 miles to home.

DSCN3441.JPG

-------------------------------

Ya know...............you're suppozed to go to a nice white sandy beach and sip pina coladas in the sun during these chilly months......................

Back