What's new
What's new

Ox's Shop

• Thread starter Ox
  • Start date
  • Replies 1,399
  • Views 379,603
Machine weighs 11,000#. Picked it off the truck with my 8 on the heavy side, and our 5 helping out a bit on the other side, and drove the truck out from under it. Once I was on the ground I was able to scootch the 8 up tight, and I am actually able to handle it with one truck now. (with extra ballast)

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Extra ballast................it works.

My brothers had an old White lift..................5K IIRC. She would lift closer to six. But every now and again we needed a bit more...........had a nice 4x6 10 foot long always handy that wedged perfectly in the counterweight. Hang a few guys on that and she'd lift most anything.................

Well, I decided that I may as well go ahead and switch these out sooner, rather than later so's I'm not plugged up with that extra machine sitt'n in the road, so I got it all situated with skates under the far side, with 1by's as a friction adder between the skates and the machine, but the concrete that I am on here was outdoor feedlot in a former life, and it's really rough, and these tank type skates sit so blame tall that one of them slipping out could send the machine into a free-fall. Although this base IS really wide, I jist didn't want to chance it.

So I called Mrs. O and asked her if she was home today, and she said that she would be soon.
"What can I doo for you?"

So I asked if she would put on grubbies and come keep an eye on these skates as I pull it out.

And this is how she shows up - telling me that she doesn't really have "grubbies". :rolleyes5:

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Attachments

• DSCN2944.JPG
    DSCN2944.JPG
    295.9 KB · Views: 130
So, the jackshaft bearings (?) went out on the [old] Swiss.
This shaft transfers power from the main spindle to the guide bushing.

So I tore it apart, and the bearings themselves were actually just fine, but ... they were loose on the "shaft".
???

So as I git it all apart, and trying to decipher exactly what it is that I am looking at, I realize that the bearings were running on a split bushing, behind some oversized threads.

??? This is a strange set-up to say the least. ???

Trying to understand why it is that they would have built it that way, and I'm just not seeing it ...

After some time I come up with this idea:
Well, could this be a repair?
Yunnow what? I think it might be!
It looks like maybe the "shaft" may have wore down, and maybe that surface was cleaned up, and then a split bushing made to fill the gap.
Could that be?
If so, that's a pretty slick repair and likely saved a bunch in downtime and parts costs!
(if part even available anymore)

DSCN2998.JPG

OK, so - the bearings are actually OK, so it just looks like it needs a new bushing made...
It's lasted this long, so I guess it's a viable repair...

... and the more that I look at it, the more deja'vu' I am getting....

Yunnow, I think that I am the "they" that repaired this before and made that split bushing originally....

New bush in and bearings pressed on.
Although, they seem kind'a tight, so we'll see if they last or not?
I have it running @ 750rpm while I am eating dinner...

Y'ever run into repairs that you obviously did at some time, but don't remember them?
I am living that reality more and more these days.
Not exactly sure what that means tho?

DSCN2999.JPG

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
HA! Ox I do that all the time. There are so many jobs that may be once a year or so. There are no how to manuals for these machines so every new job I try to find a simpler quicker way, but by not documenting, the next time it repeats I struggle halfway thru before I remember the short cuts to late to implement them. O well there's always next time. Or I see a repair and say to my self that's exactly how I would do it. Self , later on says "Idoit that's because you did it originally, don't you remember, retard"

I can't stand Christmas .... music .... and most else as it's just so overdone.
But this guy thinks that he is Aldo Nova eh?
"A one man band, philosophical man, as a one man band should be."

In case someone didn't git the memmo yet:

Christine McVie, gone at 80.
How on Earth did she ever git so old?
When did THAT happen?

---------------

A one man band, philosophical man, as a one man band should be.
Ox

In case anyone missed it, David Crosby died @ 81.
Pert'near 30 years on that questionably ethical and highly debated liver transplant.
Glad that he got such mileage out of it....

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Are you cutting that without coolant? Just surprised if you are. I'd think that wouldn't go so well, but never tried it.

I always cut dry at home shop, less mess and smell. I run a little less sfm to make up for it. I rarely dull a blade. Back in the money world; wet and fast.

I never run coolant in the saw, but ... how long it takes to make a cut isn't that important to me. I shoot it with WD now and aggin (more if alum) and I keep my blade speed low enough to cut SS normally.

I did have a job that was to have taken off, but didn't. That one was a lot of sawing, and I planned on setting up our second saw in a coolant pan and cranking up the SFM on that. But normally the saw is not a bottleneck, so no point pushing it.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back