What's new
What's new

Pacemakers

Was there an interim model between the 16" 5HP 4500# Pacemaker and the 16" 20HP 8500# Pacemaker? Has anyone seen the Machinery Values unit in person? Is it as nice as the fotos show?
Thanks,
Larry

There were "small" Pacemakers and "large" Pacemakers. The small jobs were the 14 and 16" - muddied extensively by being not only available "raised in sand", but later by being referred to as a 20" MD for medium duty.

The big jobs were originally the 18, 20 and 22". These are the 8000 - 9000 lb ones. These were bigger all over - L2 spindle or D1-8" in lieu of L1 / D1-6" Bigger spindle hole - bigger TS quill - longer carriage, head stock and tail stock. These were phased out with the exception of what became the 20" HD - what was left of the original 20".

A give away on these machines is a simple question to seller: "Does it have five or eight vee belts?". Biggies always have eight.

This discussion is for the early machines - with open quick changes - up to about late fifties. Has nothing at all to do with the really big Pacemakers.

If you are referring to this one, it is later, small and likely not even close to 8500 :D

Pacemaker

John

I believe there were some 18" and 20" models that were considered to be "medium" duty and had L1 spindles. I've seen a fair number of those sizes that had 5 belts. I can't imagine anyone needing any more than what the "medium" machines are capable of. Although there was the old advertisement that showed a lathe removing 500 lbs of material in an hour. That was probably done on a heavy duty model. I know I won't be turning that kind of beef any time soon.
Anyway, I was also under the impression that the later Pacemakers still used a lot of iron and were equally as heavy as the first generation. They sure don't look as cool as the older ones, though.

Back