What's new
What's new

Parker/Eurotherm 514C/507 4Q SSD DC Retrofit into 1961 10EE Modular

I suppose I could try that. Do you get the voltage from the 514C field taps?
I have a step down transformer on board to go from 240VAC to 120VAC to feed the field circuit on the 514C and other things on the lathe like lighting and DRO etc.. You could just use one leg of the 240VAC and a neutral if you you have it available.

I thought you did not have the original Ohmite rheostats for the lathe? If you do, it makes it much easier and you can use all the original lathe controls to run everything, not the dual knobs that the 514C/507 combo requires.

IMG_20220905_124322462.jpg

First, I want to thank you all for helping me fix my Monarch! The 507 "Health" error ( and field loss) was caused by having the 507 dip switch #1 in the off position. I switched it to "on" assuming the error was a current > 1.5 amps and the machine runs fine. It also ran fine on the Field power from the 514c as Hobby Racer advised.
The lathe, a 1956 WiaD, now operates pretty much as it should.
Armature variability 0 to 280v dc (330v input) and the field power is 103v max and variable with a pot.
I adjusted P7 on the 507 controller to get 103v dc (240v input) from A+, A- terminals and was wondering if there is a way to achieve the 120v field voltage called for by the motor, a Reliance 3hp shunt wound motor. The motor is wired as the wiring diagram on the motor calls for.
Again, thank you all for posting this tremendous thread on Practical Machinist!

I adjusted P7 on the 507 controller to get 103v dc (240v input) from A+, A- terminals and was wondering if there is a way to achieve the 120v field voltage called for by the motor, a Reliance 3hp shunt wound motor.
You should be able to get ~180VDC max out of the 507 armature terminals when using 240VAC as the input. Check to be sure you are getting 10VDC on T4 when calling for max speed. Also check your potentiometers P6 & P7 are set properly.

All you switches (SW 1-4) should be set to ON

we are getting ready to do the same retrofit any information you could give us would be greatly appreciated

we are getting ready to do the same retrofit any information you could give us would be greatly appreciated
All the information you need is here, you just need to read through it. My suggestion is to use the original speed control rheostats if you have them. It makes the conversion very simple and you only need the one 514C controller.

If you have specific questions post them and we can better help you.

It's only the speed control rheostats for the motor/generator drive version that can be used. WiaD and Modular tube-drive machines don't use the big Ohmite 500W rheostats.

Back