What's new
What's new

Passing Costs To Customer Like Everyone Else

You should have included the no raise in 3 year part in the first post, you made it sound like his policy of not raising prices has no effect on the employees. Do you guys run a lot of repeat jobs and if so have you got the set-up
and cycle down as low as possible? I have repeat jobs I haven't raised prices on in quite a long time, but increased efficiency has made them more profitable per hour than they were 10 years ago, even though material, tooling, and general shop supplies are way up.

I had an owner who would knock my quotes down, then complain the cycle times were too long and the parts were running the cycle time I used on the spread sheet. We used to go at it constantly over that, I was always waiting to get fired, but never did. The thing is the owner was a great salesman with zero machining knowledge.

I think everyone has had a boss or even more of them which did this. Also add to that bosses who do not machine anything and many who never have except doing something in the shop from time to time to say they have. It may not be their cup of tea though. It is common sometimes that they may have a great skill that allowed them to start machining in addition to say being a top notch welder or /and sheet metal tradesman.

It all is good. If not there are always options today. Heck the boomers are throwing in the towel and it has left a big gap in the work force. This has been talked about a lot in the past 25 years or so.

You should have included the no raise in 3 year part in the first post, you made it sound like his policy of not raising prices has no effect on the employees. Do you guys run a lot of repeat jobs and if so have you got the set-up
and cycle down as low as possible? I have repeat jobs I haven't raised prices on in quite a long time, but increased efficiency has made them more profitable per hour than they were 10 years ago, even though material, tooling, and general shop supplies are way up.

I had an owner who would knock my quotes down, then complain the cycle times were too long and the parts were running the cycle time I used on the spread sheet. We used to go at it constantly over that, I was always waiting to get fired, but never did. The thing is the owner was a great salesman with zero machining knowledge.

Because as a sales man, he is stuck in thinking that you start high and leave room to move down.

He cannot comprehend that you give him accurate info in the estimate / quote.

Because as a sales man, he is stuck in thinking that you start high and leave room to move down.

He cannot comprehend that you give him accurate info in the estimate / quote.

I always thought the guy to be a weird duck, but your explanation makes perfect sense. I would have never came up with that.

Back