What's new
What's new

Peck Tapping on Doosan Mill

Matthewkral

Plastic
I'm having trouble figuring out how to peck tap on my Doosan mill.
Ive tried switching my G84 to G84.2 and adding a Q to my block but received an error code for the G84.2

I also tried just adding a Q value to my G84 and it stops at every Q value but does not retract.

Any ideas where I start?

I'm having trouble figuring out how to peck tap on my Doosan mill.
Ive tried switching my G84 to G84.2 and adding a Q to my block but received an error code for the G84.2

I also tried just adding a Q value to my G84 and it stops at every Q value but does not retract.

Any ideas where I start?
Hello Matthew,
Peck Tapping is only available in Rigid Tapping and the fact that the spindle stops at each Q step would indicate that rigid tapping is being called. Accordingly, take a look at parameter bit 5200.5; I suspect that it is set to "0". If this is the case, set it to "1" and the tap should retract to the "R" plane.

Regards,

Bill

Depending on the MTB design, there are a number of ways to invoke rigid tapping on a fanuc control.
1. Set 5200#0 = 1
2. Specify M29
3. Use G74.2/G84.2
Thereafter, use a Q word for peck tapping.

Depending on the MTB design, there are a number of ways to invoke rigid tapping on a fanuc control.
1. Set 5200#0 = 1
2. Specify M29
3. Use G74.2/G84.2
Thereafter, use a Q word for peck tapping.

Hello Sinha,
Bit 5200.0 has to be set to "0" to use an "M" code to call rigid tapping and depending on the control, even if a Machining Centre, the control has to be set to FS15 Mode to use G84.2.

I believe that the OP has Parameter Bit 5200.0 set to "1" so that Rigid Tapping is being called by G84 and this is indicated by the fact that the OP is saying "tried just adding a Q value to my G84 and it stops at every Q value but does not retract"; this wouldn't happen if the G84 was calling a Standard Tapping Cycle.

There are two types of Rigid Tapping, Peck Cycle, what Fanuc call High Speed and Standard. These two types are set via parameter bit 5200.5. I believe the OP will find that the parameter bit is set to "0" for High Speed Peck tapping where the tap doesn't retract. I suspect that by leaving parameter bit 5200.0 set to "1" and setting parameter bit 5200.5 to "1" will fix his issue.

Regards,

Bill

Some more details about peck tapping ...

Two types of peck rigid tapping cycles are
available:
• High-speed peck rigid tapping cycle, and
• Deep hole peck rigid tapping cycle.
The first type is similar to G73, in the sense that retraction
is very small. The second type, on the other hand, is similar to
G83, where the retraction is up to the R-point, after every peck.
So, the first type is faster, but the second type is more suitable
for very deep holes. Refer to the tool path sketches of G73 and
G83, which resemble the tool paths of the two types of peck rigid
tapping cycles, except for the speeds along the hole axis.
For peck rigid tapping, simply insert a Q-word in the usual
syntax for the tapping cycles. Q is the peck length in mm.
Absence of Q or specifying Q0 makes the tapping cycle work in
the usual mode, i.e., without pecking. Set parameter 5200#5 (the
sixth bit, counting from the right, of parameter 5200) to 0 for the
high-speed peck tapping cycle, and to 1 for the deep hole peck
tapping cycle. The retraction distance can be set through parameter 5213
(for both types of pecking cycles). Normally, the retraction (and
the forward motion up to the specified distance above the tapping
depth in the previous peck, in the deep hole peck rigid tapping
cycle) is at the feedrate, but it can be made faster by enabling
rapid retraction feature through parameter 5200#4.

Hello Sinha,
Bit 5200.0 has to be set to "0" to use an "M" code to call rigid tapping and depending on the control, even if a Machining Centre, the control has to be set to FS15 Mode to use G84.2.

I believe that the OP has Parameter Bit 5200.0 set to "1" so that Rigid Tapping is being called by G84 and this is indicated by the fact that the OP is saying "tried just adding a Q value to my G84 and it stops at every Q value but does not retract"; this wouldn't happen if the G84 was calling a Standard Tapping Cycle.

There are two types of Rigid Tapping, Peck Cycle, what Fanuc call High Speed and Standard. These two types are set via parameter bit 5200.5. I believe the OP will find that the parameter bit is set to "0" for High Speed Peck tapping where the tap doesn't retract. I suspect that by leaving parameter bit 5200.0 set to "1" and setting parameter bit 5200.5 to "1" will fix his issue.

Regards,

Bill

Worked like a charm! Thank you, Sir

Back