What's new
What's new

Photos of bad Crashes

I wrote a program to cut an aluminum mold pocket and the machinist was running it in air above the part. Owner walked over and said quit wasting time and run the part. Machinist is really ripping out the pocket with an aluminum rougher and it is making quite a bit of noise so several people walk over. To this day I can not figure out how that big negative Z move got right in the middle of the finishing pass! Machinist was really quick on the red button and saved the vise. Boss walks over and asks what the hell happened. I said " I made a mistake and you are going to need to get another piece of metal!" His jaw fell open but no words came out and he walked away. One of the guys said "Wow, no one ever admitted a mistake like that before! He ussually screams at you for 15 or 20 minutes"

Sweet!! I loved riding dirt bikes when I was a kid, and this thing looks like just as much fun.

I did as well. I've been riding since I was a tike.
LOL My back is still F'ed up from attempting supercross whoops Pro-style, and it lets me know it daily!

I really wish it was a 450, but it is still fun to ride. I plan on taking it out this afternoon. Houston is having a rare, low humidity, October day. :-)

Doug.

Would it be your first or even tenth thought after that happens be to grab a camera to document all the happiness that has just taken place?

I never seem to have that chance, as I'm still cussing up a storm in my office! (Door closed. Sometimes.)

I remember one time as an apprentice...On a brideport I had to open up a hole .875ish dia by a couple thou. I went in with a drill thinking no big deal, and to have the drill grab the part and wind itself and the quill down untill the chuck hit the part. Good times... wish I had a pic of my face when that quill started feeding itself down. Poop

Keep stirring the pot. Wait until you blow the shit out of a machine or the work. Would it be your first or even tenth thought after that happens be to grab a camera to document all the happiness that has just taken place?

I think not. Unless you really don't give a shit.

I've seen the aftermath of some shit gone wrong. Things as simple as a hack retard thinking preset tools off of C/L of indexer also apply to any other part fixturing. Such as a part in a vise that's above C/L of the indexer. Picks up the part with a 2 day old edgefinder (wonder why), pushes that magic green button, and walks away to harass the vending machine to get his morning gut-bomb. Glad that guy is nowhere in sight.

Or the boss man at the last shop who I cannot fault considering the number of hours he'd been awake. Forgets the work shift on the ol' 10T from the last job. Had the feeds down, the rapids still 100. Buries a 1-1/4" carbide boring bar in the face of a 10" X 4" slug of S7. Bar snapped, and turret's out of whack. We both learned from that one.

I have fucked up as well. I'll freely admit it to the foreman, the QC dept, and the other toolmakers when I do.

Thoughts of taking the time to take pics of the problems within a shop that may have "owned" material as the subject does not make sense.

If it serves to bring home the reality of how dangerous that piece of equipment "that thinks for itself" can be, I think a picture is well justified. I certainly don't mind being reminded every once in a while. (Preferably by looking at pictures rather than experiencing it in person. Looking at the blood on that block of nylon counts for much more than the warning lable on the door of the mill.

hqdefault.jpg

it supposed to look like this

It was at a customer, Machine got a new pipe loading system, hydraulic clamping system outside the machine failed. There was no failure signal sent to machine, it went ahead and tried to run the part. Mazak there for 1 week (2 guys) plus parts.

So we had a "programmer/setup" person do this to our brand new ST-30 within the first month of getting it into our shop.
View attachment 150397
Needless to say that was a fun day.

JustAbout

I already knew what the inside of a chuck looks like, thank you.
I expect that here was more to the repair than just replacing the chuck. I expect the turret was just a smidge out of alignment. Just a smidge.

Back