What's new
What's new

Pin gaging tolerance question. HELP

I agree, there are 100 ways to skin this cat. Ive made hundreds with no issue in the same lathe.

Im need hard data to present to the customer to say this is not a great idea for this part..in short fit tolerances.
3 clicks on the mics and its good, industry standard. there has to be something for when to /not to use a pin. hell for all i know their pin could be out of round

I agree, there are 100 ways to skin this cat. Ive made hundreds with no issue in the same lathe.

Im need hard data to present to the customer to say this is not a great idea for this part..in short fit tolerances.
3 clicks on the mics and its good, industry standard. there has to be something for when to /not to use a pin. hell for all i know their pin could be out of round

I wouldn't say a 3 point mic is an industry standard, I think the standard depends on the shop.

3 point mics aren't fool proof, an inept operator could get a bad measurement, especially with tight tolerances.

That's why I like go/nogo gages, used carefully anybody can use them.

--------------------------------------

Why not get the customer to supply you with a go/nogo gage that's acceptable to them? That way there's no ambiguity.

Why not get the customer to supply you with a go/nogo gage that's acceptable to them? That way there's no ambiguity.

This is the only possible good outcome. We could argue all day about tolerances and what the print says. It matters when it hits receiving inspection if their gauge passes it or not. Only way to really match that process is to get the same gauge yourself, and then make the bores to fit that gauge.

Back